Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Premier Inn T4 vs Hilton Garden Inn T4 vs Thistle vs Sofitel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier Inn T4 vs Hilton Garden Inn T4 vs Thistle vs Sofitel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, BAEC Silver
I'm taking a Ł120 loss with Algotels and have booked myself in to the Sofitel to ease my Pain, Trouble and Distress
Arsey00, dougzz and Pigeon49 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Who came up with the name "Algotels"? Algos (ἄλγος), [Greek] = pain, trouble, distress
No! I’m sure it’s either because they’re hotels whose bathrooms are guaranteed to be covered in algae or which are so bad that you’d only pick them by algorithm not by choice.
Rim1 and AbZorba like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold/Hilton Diamond
Hilton at T4 is my go-to. It’s very good. You do have to get the underground transfer but it isn’t the end of the world. It is a very decent quality hotel.
camdentown likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Thanks, but there's no availability for Hilton T5 on that date!
Big car park at the Hilton T4 and for extended trips the Hilton room+parking package can be cheaper than just the parking charge at T5 long stay.

One issue is that they don’t have a lift from the car park to reception so if there are any heavy bags involved, drop those off before parking.
aks120 and Heathrow Tower like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Silver / IHG Platinum Elite / Pan Pacific Gold / Hilton Silver / Accor Silver
For T5, always the Sofitel for me. I've been let down by the trains too many times, so generally always stay at an adjoined hotel to whichever terminal we're flying from.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
This is the KARFA approved route from the PI T5 or Thistle to T5. If you are coming out of T5 basically exit T5 on ground level at the north end, follow the fence around, cross the short non pedestrian bridge (google won't route you across this), and then up bath road.

As long as it isn't raining I much prefer walking rather than getting the bus. Normally takes me around 20 minutes.

I suspect the gps is not taking you across the bridge which is marked not for pedestrians - but which everyone uses anyway

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34969642-post31.html
For the first time, this week I ditched my booking at HGI Hatton Cross and opted to try the Premier Inn (Ł80 vs Ł140). Followed the “approved walk” : no problems going T5 to PI, the planes were landing on 9L so made it quite dramatic. On the way back as I rounded the end of Old Bath road there was a police XC90/ARV stopped at the side of the road, right in front of the blue sign “Police (something) zone” just before you would walk over the no pedestrians bridge so I thought better of it and walked backed to the bus stop in front of the Kings Arms. A 423 turned up 2 mins later so I hopped on that and made it safely to T5 .

Overall a useful experience but I think I might stick to HGI or Sofitel in the future.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:42 pm

With bus travel no longer free, can you legally be forced to use it? Doesn't it violate fundamental legal principles not to have a free passage out of LHR T5?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
With bus travel no longer free, can you legally be forced to use it? Doesn't it violate fundamental legal principles not to have a free passage out of LHR T5?
You know it is quite funny to me that you would mention that as I was reflecting to myself that I felt significantly more emboldened marching OUT of T5 than I did when trying to get back INTO the terminal! I don’t have the qualifications to comment on the legality of the matter but the psychology of being effectively forced to pay to leave a place is interesting. If you took the free train to T3 or T4 would you then be able to walk out? I think you might be able to from T4 anyway but I’m not sure actually!
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I had a look in the Human Rights Act but was unable to find a right to free passage from T5 to a nearby hotel I am afraid. So far the ECHR hasn't seen fit to expand the listed rights to cover this

Of course you do have free passage by tube to Hatton Cross though
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:56 am

Of course you do have free passage by tube to Hatton Cross though
Make me wonder whether that became free just for that reason...
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:40 am

I don't really see. I don't see any requirement or legal principle that airports must have at least one free method of accessing them.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Arrive with a horse and you are fine. You don't even need to ride the steed. More boringly, you can continue to walk around the Northern Perimeter plus there are some tracks out on the south side.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
I don't really see. I don't see any requirement or legal principle that airports must have at least one free method of accessing them.
I think the only angle would be a consumer law one viz-a-viz the airline or whoever is selling the flight, on the basis that if you cannot possibly access the airport without paying a fee, the effective price of the flight is higher and this is something you must be warned of before purchase. Not dissimilar to departure/entry/tourism taxes levied by countries.

Obviously there are sufficient free ways of accessing T5 (even if not all convenient or available 24/7) that I doubt this would apply here.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by flarmip
I think the only angle would be a consumer law one viz-a-viz the airline or whoever is selling the flight, on the basis that if you cannot possibly access the airport without paying a fee, the effective price of the flight is higher and this is something you must be warned of before purchase. Not dissimilar to departure/entry/tourism taxes levied by countries.
i think this argument is more stretched than my elasticated trousers after a heavy Christmas period

Occasionally things we don't like are not actually against consumer law.
aks120, crazy8534 and flarmip like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
As there is no contract between the flyer with the airport there is nothing to enforce. As it is private property, again, no duty under the law. Transport to LHR is not a matter of law, within its confines may well be. By way of example Turnbull and Asser have no duty to get me to their store ( although I wish they would knock it of my bill), within it I am free to roam around providing I do not shoplift or cause a criminal offence within the store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.