Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Premier Inn T4 vs Hilton Garden Inn T4 vs Thistle vs Sofitel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2023, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

Apologies if this has been discussed to death before…

Trying to figure out which is the best price vs time comparison for a hotel for a 7am T5 flight on Monday morning:

—don’t need breakfast (will eat in lounge)
—want to minimize the risk of infrequent trains/buses but Sofitel seems prohibitive

Not sure if the tube is running from Hatton Cross at 5:30am — TfL Go app suggested cycling to T5 at that time! And I know the HEX or Liz Line don’t run that often. Never taken a bus so no experience of that either or which route to take.

Any thoughts? other hotels I haven’t mentioned worth considering?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by salut0
Apologies if this has been discussed to death before…
I'm afraid it has!

But given your criteria, you should be looking at Thistle (pod service) and HGI T2 (not T4) - (tube service). HGI at Hatton Cross is indeed a third option, walk plus tube. You don't need to arrive at T5 before 06:00 hrs so that's the other point to make.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 3:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
so personally I would go PI T4 - I assume it's the cheapest. plenty of buses even at that time, the 482/490 stop outside on the road and there is one every 15/20 minutes at that time of day.
lsquare, YacozA, sammyg901 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I've been looking at Heathrow hotels for an impending TP run, controversially I think the Sofitel is overpriced for what it is and has not been refurbished, unlike many other hotels.
lsquare, KARFA, Ramos and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:01 am

I know you didn’t mention the Premier Inn, T5, but we usually stay there as it is so convenient. There is a regular local bus service (423) from outside the hotel to T5, I think it took about 10 minutes when we last used it in June 2023. You also have the option of using a Pod from the Thistle Hotel, which is on the opposite side of the road to the Premier Inn, T5.

Last edited by yorki; Aug 10, 2023 at 4:07 am
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I've been looking at Heathrow hotels for an impending TP run, controversially I think the Sofitel is overpriced for what it is and has not been refurbished, unlike many other hotels.
In my opinion I wouldn't say that is controversial at all. I agree it is overpriced. The only times I have paid is maybe twice when it used to be on lastminute as a secret hotel for around £80. Otherwise every other stay has been at BA's expense.

We usually stay at the Premier Inn, T5 which is opposite the Thistle. There is a regular local bus service (423) from outside the hotel to T5, I think it took about 10 minutes when we last used it in June 2023. You also have the option of using the Pod from near the Thistle Hotel, although I have never used them.
The Thistle I don't like. Frankly the place needs knocking down, it is a poor hotel. EDIT: I think the pods are now £8 per person each way as well.

PI T5 is one of my go to hotels, I was there on Tuesday night. I like it because it is a nice 20 minutes walk from T5 (did it yesterday morning for example) - which is fine for me as I normally only have a backpack but obviously not practical if you have large bags.

Be careful in the morning between 0430-0600 as there is often a large queue of people with suitcases at that stop opposite the PI waiting for the 423 to T5. The 423 usually turns up at that time with people standing already and drivers often refuse to take at least some of those waiting. The 350 is an alternative and you can get that if you walk around to the back of the PI using that path on the west side.
Bluestar, PETER01, Toonfan and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You are quite right. The Sofitel is £200 with £1 change. The Thistle is £82 for Sunday night until Monday morning. It is what the young today quite accurately refer to as a No-Brainer. The pod is so very useful - if that goes duff they lay on a bus from the Pod stop. All that said, this is a classic airport flop house, Everything is beat up and worn. It needs refurbishing in the worst possible way. It is a dump behind that rather smart reception desk. Bear in mind that there is no lift either. However, the place is clean and fine for a one night stand with an early departure. Do not eat in the restaurant. My niece who never listens to a word that I say informed me that I was right and the food was vile. There is much better to be had a few minutes walk away at the White Horse. People swear by other establishments - if it as early a start as yours this is where I go as it makes sense.

I go out of my way not to have early flights but sometimes one has no choice.
jamiel, Toonfan, becks1 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:26 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
HGI at Hatton Cross normally gets my business, unless the 2 hotels at T2/3 are within £50. Tube runs early and an easy walk as long as you don’t have multiple bags, I prefer the tube over the bus. Hotel restaurant is good and a pub is in walking distance if you fancy a change.
Cymro, stewaran, crazy8534 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by KARFA
In my opinion I wouldn't say that is controversial at all. I agree it is overpriced. The only times I have paid is maybe twice when it used to be on lastminute as a secret hotel for around £80. Otherwise every other stay has been at BA's expense.

The Thistle I don't like. Frankly the place needs knocking down, it is a poor hotel.

PI T5 is one of my go to hotels, I was there on Tuesday night. I like it because it is a nice 20 minutes walk from T5 (did it yesterday morning for example) - which is fine for me as I normally only have a backpack but obviously not practical if you have large bags.

Be careful in the morning between 0430-0600 as there is often a large queue of people with suitcases at that stop opposite the PI waiting for the 423 to T5. The 423 usually turns up at that time with people standing already and drivers often refuse to take at least some of those waiting. The 350 is an alternative and you can get that if you walk around to the back of the PI using that path on the west side.
Darling you are one of my go-to opinion listeners. I could not agree more about the Thistle - it is conveniently placed but it is so fifties that I suspect that it will collapse by itself without recourse to dynamite. I would far prefer PI. However, I am intrigued that you walk to T5? The GPS on my phone says 34 minutes and if it is raining that would be hell.
sammyg901, jonkx and RNdouble like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:33 am

This is the KARFA approved route from the PI T5 or Thistle to T5. If you are coming out of T5 basically exit T5 on ground level at the north end, follow the fence around, cross the short non pedestrian bridge - known locally as el puente de la muerte (google won't route you across this), and then up bath road.

As long as it isn't raining I much prefer walking rather than getting the bus. Normally takes me around 20 minutes.

I suspect the gps is not taking you across the bridge which is marked not for pedestrians - but which everyone uses anyway

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34969642-post31.html

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 10, 2024 at 8:12 am
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
My experience of T3 hotel prices is that they are not far off the Sofitel, and by the sounds of things the buses can not be trusted to have space if going off the Underground route. T4 ones are the long way if not using the buses (HEX/Underground to T3 and same to T5 could add a lot), so really it's the Hatton Cross hotel(s) or the Sofitel. I say hotels, because there's an Atrium one there which I can't seem to price up (and never appeared on my previous searches).
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
if on a budget think the Hilton T5 - but bus ride away

the Hilton T5 is a distance from Airport and you will need the Shuttle Bus of taxi if flying from T5.

But Car Park, Rooms and Indian Restaurant is very good.

The snag is the Hoppa Bus which gets full on your return from T5 unless you are front of the queue.

Agree with Piucci on Thistle, it needs demolishing but perfect for a quick sleep and so handy for the POD. Bar overlooking the runway on the terrace isn't bad but the food is dire! so you will need to go out. Recommend Food at the Radisson in their Seafood Bar section so that's an alternative if you don't have an early T5 departure! we went Virgin that time and I refuse to do the Holiday Inn in the central section being the Brummie snob I am!

Personally I'm a Sofitel man and will spend £ on the Millesmie Lounge. They look after you there really well and are proactive with drink top ups! so handy to just walk across into T5 and you can easily park cheaper with Purple Parking adjacent to Hotel!. Sofitel aint cheap but convenience and value for money I will always rate it !

Hope this helps your decision on Price Vs Quality!

Cheers

SteveG
Old Aug 10, 2023, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
HGI at Hatton Cross is my go to.
As well as the tube, it also has very good bus links
Old Aug 10, 2023, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by steveggetit
the Hilton T5 is a distance from Airport and you will need the Shuttle Bus of taxi if flying from T5.

But Car Park, Rooms and Indian Restaurant is very good.

The snag is the Hoppa Bus which gets full on your return from T5 unless you are front of the queue.

Agree with Piucci on Thistle, it needs demolishing but perfect for a quick sleep and so handy for the POD. Bar overlooking the runway on the terrace isn't bad but the food is dire! so you will need to go out. Recommend Food at the Radisson in their Seafood Bar section so that's an alternative if you don't have an early T5 departure! we went Virgin that time and I refuse to do the Holiday Inn in the central section being the Brummie snob I am!

Personally I'm a Sofitel man and will spend £ on the Millesmie Lounge. They look after you there really well and are proactive with drink top ups! so handy to just walk across into T5 and you can easily park cheaper with Purple Parking adjacent to Hotel!. Sofitel aint cheap but convenience and value for money I will always rate it !

Hope this helps your decision on Price Vs Quality!

Cheers

SteveG
The Sofitel Millesime lounge is nice but for my dates, these rooms are crazy money, like £320+! For the same dates, I could get the Heathrow Hilton (T4) with lounge access also, for half the price and I think that hotel has been more recently refurbed. And I just like the style of it better, the Sofitel feels quite dated and worn now to me.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by choosethedrew; Aug 10, 2023 at 6:00 am
Old Aug 10, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Always swap the Soft Pillows at the Sofitel for harder ones!

can't sleep with the oft pillows, so get them exchanged for a proper kip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.