Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Premier Inn T4 vs Hilton Garden Inn T4 vs Thistle vs Sofitel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier Inn T4 vs Hilton Garden Inn T4 vs Thistle vs Sofitel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
As there is no contract between the flyer with the airport there is nothing to enforce. As it is private property, again, no duty under the law. Transport to LHR is not a matter of law, within its confines may well be. By way of example Turnbull and Asser have no duty to get me to their store ( although I wish they would knock it of my bill), within it I am free to roam around providing I do not shoplift or cause a criminal offence within the store.
That's not the question being posed here. It's a question of whether the airline is obliged to point out the necessity of paying the airport (or some other party) for access.

There are airports where you literally have to pay a fee to buy a ticket to access security; in that case it's obvious that this has to be pointed out during purchase; I don't really see that this would be any different but obviously in the case of LHR it's a moot point.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think this is getting ridiculously off topic now.
aks120 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think this is getting ridiculously off topic now.
Like most threads do on FT these days ..... It is getting ridiculous now people - stop it!

aks120
LondonAndy and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
[QUOTE=flarmip;35698899]That's not the question being posed here. It's a question of whether the airline is obliged to point out the necessity of paying the airport (or some other party) for access.

There are airports where you literally have to pay a fee to buy a ticket to access security; in that case it's obvious that this has to be pointed out during purchase; I don't really see that this would be any different but obviously in the case of LHR it's a moot point.[/QUOT

A moron in a hurry would know or understand that getting to the airport is on them. Don't get me on to the nonsense of warning people that hot coffee is hot, or milk contains dairy or the such like.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I cracked and went Sofitel for our next trip. Expensive but a 6:55am flight, a couple of inexperienced travellers in tow, and lots of baggage. Worth the outlay for the convenience in the morning...
crazy8534 and AbZorba like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I used to stay at the Sofitel but unless I had a stupidly early morning flight it's not for me anymore. For me having a good sleep is the most important and the last few times I found their beds just terrible whereas my go to hotels HGI T2/T3 and Hilton T4 work very well for me. If the HGI T2/T3 rates are silly I use points. Only time I would stay at the Sofitel would be to use an Amex Travel Credit. I don't find the slog to T5 that bad from either of the other two.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by crazy8534
For the first time, this week I ditched my booking at HGI Hatton Cross and opted to try the Premier Inn (80 vs 140). Followed the approved walk : no problems going T5 to PI, the planes were landing on 9L so made it quite dramatic. On the way back as I rounded the end of Old Bath road there was a police XC90/ARV stopped at the side of the road, right in front of the blue sign Police (something) zone just before you would walk over the no pedestrians bridge so I thought better of it and walked backed to the bus stop in front of the Kings Arms. A 423 turned up 2 mins later so I hopped on that and made it safely to T5 .

Overall a useful experience but I think I might stick to HGI or Sofitel in the future.
We think the Thistle is OK - the rooms are spacious and tidy; public areas not so enticing. Often the hotel + breakfast + 15d parking costs about the same as T5 Long Stay. Add 2x 7 ppax for the pod which is more fun than a bus or taxi.
But we are HBO on our next trip so contemplating walking along the Karfa route. Streetview confirms that there are 'no pedestrian' signs at the bus bridge - just a crossed-out picture in a red circle with no words. I have searched the highway code and road traffic legislation and cannot find such a sign. They are widely available in different designs for health-and-safety purposes. Does anyone know for sure whether these signs have any statutory force? Obviously, if you were squashed by a bus then the driver would have a reasonable defence.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Caerbannog
Does anyone know for sure whether these signs have any statutory force? Obviously, if you were squashed by a bus then the driver would have a reasonable defence.
I suspect it's an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 or similar, it's a requirement for all road users, including pedestrians, to comply with signs, and this sign does appear in my printed copy of the Highway Code. I further suspect it's a breach of the Heathrow by-laws, a breach of which won't be a criminal offence. If you want a cast iron insurance against something bad happening then you're not going to get it here. Risk management, on the other hand, is an entirely personal matter. Basically the bridge wasn't built wide enough for a full pedestrian pavement so HAL presumably covered themselves by the sign. It's narrow but to my mind safe, if going single file.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Its clearly marked as not being for pedestrians, no dispute from me on that. However I have walked over many times, sometimes in view of police or Heathrow Security, and have never been challenged. So the risk is virtually zero.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the reassuring replies. I have found it now as 'know your traffic signs on gov.uk
Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:07 pm

Is the parking very close to the hotel and how are the stairs?
Edit: Thistle T5 - The Purple parking 'hotels with parking' deal

Last edited by catkin78; Nov 13, 2023 at 3:14 pm Reason: Lack of clarity
Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by catkin78
Is the parking very close to the hotel and how are the stairs?
Edit: Thistle T5 - The Purple parking 'hotels with parking' deal
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum. The Thistle has car parking all around (and in between) the buildings. There are several hundreds of parking places, over 400 I would say. The hotel doesn't have a lift, but it's a low rise set of buildings, Half the bedrooms are on the ground floor, and most of the buildings have only a second floor. But the restaurant and bar are a bit higher up, almost like a third floor, and as far as I can tell you need to be able to handle those stairs to get there.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by steveggetit
the old way was on Last Minute Secret Hotels for LHR as only 5 star hotel so you knew what you were getting....

Turn up and buy the Millesmie Upgrade then on check in

Now I think the way for Cheaper Millesmie is with Purple Parking and upgrade on the day at check in.

I'm a Sofitel fan and the convience to T5 wins me over every time

Not cheap. but starts your holiday off on the right note I always find

SteveG
I stayed at the Sofitel last month having not stayed there since 2020, it is tired and ridiculously expensive. They have certainly made Club Millesime access much more expensive- I think the minimum you could spend to get access was 330, so I went for the basic room at c 200. Food was expensive and poor in the restaurant and the service was scrappy and the room had chewing gum on the floor and in the bathroom which hadnt been cleaned properly. I couldnt be bothered to change rooms but complained on check out and in the review! But you pay for convenience! Looking forward to the day the Taj Vivanta finally opens if it ever does, it will be Terminal 2/3 but should make the Sofitel up its game
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
I always choose Premier Inn over any hotel at Heathrow. I normally go to the hotel straight after work and my flight leaves early the following morning so I dont see the point in splashing out more money!
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by westmidlandsguy
I always choose Premier Inn over any hotel at Heathrow. I normally go to the hotel straight after work and my flight leaves early the following morning so I dont see the point in splashing out more money!
As I've said, it's price dependent for me. Used to book PIs more often when they were sub-40 on say Bath Road.
Quite often they're hitting 90 now, and sometimes not that much difference from other chains I may have status with, or could earn with.

200+ for the Sofitel has never been value for me even if it does save 5-10 mins travel time on a short overnight stay.

Added:
Trying out the MAN HI at present. 145/night (blew some points rather than cash), so not cheap especially as the HIX on Thorley Lane was around 89 (Premier Inns next door just under 60). Very similar to the LHR Bath Road HI.
LHR may be cheaper on average....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.