Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing service in long-haul First

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2023, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
Disappointing service in long-haul First

TLDR: As crazy as it sounds LHR-USA AA F might actually be better than BA, if based on the typical service level rather than catering quality.

Just flew BA281 a couple of days ago. Disappointed if not to say irritated.

I always try to moderate my expectations when it comes to flying the glorious AA/BA duo across the pond but this…
First time in the “new” BA F. Having a door, I guess, is better than not having one. A bigger TV is a much needed improvement.
Other than that – do we really need to lose 10 inches of seat width just to have an in-suite wardrobe?
Also, any other airline with non-noise cancelling headphones in F?
No matter, this rant is supposed to be about service. That’s what really made me regret not choosing to book in BA J or AA on this flight.

A few minutes after settling into my seat, a cheerful youth pops up and, looking past me, cheerfully announces that he will be “taking care” of me on this flight. My heart sinks. The young man promptly disappears.
Mind you – it’s an 8-seat F cabin. With two FAs evidently assigned. 4 passengers per (I am great at math).

Ok, then. Perhaps, service will kick into gear after takeoff. No? Drinks were served, after all.
Refills – what refills? Ah – this must be one of those Cathay Pacific-style service concepts where you are supposed to hit the call button to get a helpful genie appear with your drink. Let’s try that.
Indeed, an instant reaction. The cheerful youth comes to hear your request, sparking confidence in immediate hydration. Then you wait. With the FA call light still shining above your seat like a beacon of hope. 20 minutes pass. With hopes crushed, I experiment with the call button.
FYI: pressing it once will extinguish the light, while pressing it again initiates a new call.

The youth quickly appears, rambling about something excuse-like. Again, no matter. I got what I needed.
But, do I still qualify for a refill? Another experiment – I do not press the FA call button again and let it stay on. No one comes for an hour (remember – 8 pax in F). Until a kind soul of an FA walks by from the back of the plane towards the F galley and sees an empty glass. Saved! She also subsequently acknowledges the call light, ending my impromptu experiment.

Needless to say, there were no “would you like anything else, sir” walks for the remainder of the flight, until the lights went on for the landing meal service. Below is the picture of the pre-landing meal.
Cheeseburger. Room temperature patty. Cold cheese and bread.

I never thought I’d say this but mildly superior food and, especially, wine quality in BA First does not compensate for crappy/indifferent service that is even worse than the low standards set by the American Airlines on the transatlantic routes. Gives you a reason to lament the demise of AA F.

Frosty
Old May 8, 2023, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
A burger in F? Not my idea of an F class meal, nor airplane food at all; as it isn't something that works well reheated ( or not reheated, as was apparently the case here)
N1120A, Sealink, FMDXR and 5 others like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
As usual, the crew makes the difference... and you didn't get the best ones.

As a former BA crew said on another thread, he earned £30k a year before Covid and now average salary is £25k with a completely different cost of living situation - so question is what caliber of people do really like to do the job? I am sure a number of FTers will disagree but overall I don't see much of a difference between AA/ DL/ BA anymore and ticket price wins over loyality.

That being sad, there are still a few BA service stars around - and then BA F can be very close to LH F....

Nota bene: The burger looks rubbish, nothing better than a not melted Dairy Lea slice of cheese
Old May 9, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
It’s still the Meridian headphones in F? These are
noise cancelling. I can’t remember how good they are. I think last time I used my own Sony headphones.
Old May 9, 2023, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by lcylocal
It’s still the Meridian headphones in F? These are
noise cancelling. I can’t remember how good they are. I think last time I used my own Sony headphones.
Not sure about the brand. Rectangular earmuffs.
Simple test. Pause the movie, unplug the headphones. No effect = no noise cancellation.
SxMan and jonr405 like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 2:25 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
They are noise cancelling, just not active noise cancelling, which would make a difference when IFE paused.
kthomas and nancypants like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 2:36 am
Suspended

WIth regard to the OP, none of this is a surprise. BA have cut everything to the bone (and beyond) at every opportunity for years. This, amongst many other woes, is the end result.

The comment about BA F being close to LH F with the 'service stars' is amusing. The quality of food on LH is better and the ground handling at their base station is clearly far ahead of BA.
Old May 9, 2023, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Flumps
WIth regard to the OP, none of this is a surprise. BA have cut everything to the bone (and beyond) at every opportunity for years. This, amongst many other woes, is the end result.

The comment about BA F being close to LH F with the 'service stars' is amusing. The quality of food on LH is better and the ground handling at their base station is clearly far ahead of BA.
Very good that I made your morning, but still my experience (and I don't have the FCT close to me all times).
Old May 9, 2023, 3:45 am

For reassurance, I would like to inform you that no, both the hard and soft product in AA F would still be worse.

I appreciate that the service was not great. It seems like that the crew had good intentions but not the skills, and in time they will learn.

Hopefully you purchased your flight using miles or with a discounted upgrade, meaning even though the service was not great, you still had a great cost/value ratio.

I also hope your next F flight will be better.
Old May 9, 2023, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Flumps

LH F is significantly better.
The cost of LH F is significantly higher.
The possibility of purchasing LH F with miles is significantly worse (close to none).
Apples and oranges.

I am always surprised when people compare BA F to another airline, without thinking of the above.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
For reassurance, I would like to inform you that no, both the hard and soft product in AA F would still be worse.
I have flown only once on AA F, LHR-JFK route in December 22, and while the seat wasn't pristine, I had nothing to complain about the service and/or the food.
I don't know if it was an exceptional event or because I am usually very low maintenance, but I'll try it AA F again, LHR-JFK, in 3 months, so I'll see what happens.

With BA F I've always been very happy pre-pandemic. Now I don't really know, the single experience after it was the day of the computer meltdown with a 5h delay (of which, 4h were spent on the aircraft, waiting news) but the crew was very nice. I'll see also for this as I have a LAX-LHR in BA F end of August.
SK likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
It seems like that the crew had good intentions but not the skills, and in time they will learn.
I'm sorry, but acknowledging being asked for a drink and not delivering said drink is not a lack of skill that the crew will learn, it's a mindset. This mindset is prevalent throughout the organisation (some would say modern world) where the vast majority of employees simply don't care enough anymore. And this on a day that IAG announce unexpected profits.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:34 am

It seems like that the crew had good intentions but not the skills, and in time they will learn.
I hope this doesn’t apply to flight crew. Surely the crew can be taught before they get on a plane that if there is a red light above a passenger’s seat, they go and ask them what they want. (You could train a dog to run to a red light, so it must be possible with humans)
nancypants likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I'm sorry, but acknowledging being asked for a drink and not delivering said drink is not a lack of skill that the crew will learn, it's a mindset. This mindset is prevalent throughout the organisation (some would say modern world) where the vast majority of employees simply don't care enough anymore. And this on a day that IAG announce unexpected profits.
But the attitude you describe, coupled with people letting it go or somehow justifying it, is precisely why they announce unexpected profits. In IAG's defence, all the time people are buying the tickets and the planes are going out full, there really is little incentive to change.

Unfortunately I think the disjoint between front line employees salaries and the salaries of those making the decisions has become so pronounced that it's part of the problem. It's hard to see why someone paid £25k a year, with no career prospects within that organisation and who is likely to have gone in 24 months anyway is really going to make much of an effort. The days of CSD's on good salaries, being paid because of the great experience they possessed, are long since gone and yet those people are precisely those who tended to ensure the service was good. This is coupled with an organisation that really just does not give a damn about the customer - you only have to look at their approach to 'service recovery' matters or people making legitimate claims under EU/UK261 legislation to see this.

I don't think there is a magic wand solution. Unfortunately I think BA needs people at the top with true vision who are willing to invest in the product and willing to invest in staff to give them a decent, respectable offering again. I doubt it will happen, the mantra of driving down costs is too entrenched now and is, frankly, too easy to do.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
My recent F experiences are this, after Covid, My resumption in F was Feb 22. Food was excellent and a good quality Crew was good too. Have flown F 6 times since May 22 and have noticed each time the food quality has declined. I assume due to the resumption of ' normal' schedules. Maybe I have been lucky but I have managed to bag decent crews on all of them. Flown on a 773 ( 2020 suites and 2010 suite), 789 and 781. Been greeted by the IFM on every flight and first choice of food order taken as a GCH. My only grip was the state of the cabin on the 2010 suite to Boston, it was shabby to say the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.