Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by JD1905
Ta - is that at 50%?
100%

note the spreadsheet is out of date, it’ll be the £ equivalent

LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 3:11 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Sigwx
100%

note the spreadsheet is out of date, it’ll be the £ equivalent

Thanks for this! Surprised I never knew about this, and I like to consider myself as quite on the ball!
Sigwx likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt, OW Blue!
Wanted to report a quick positive outcome.

submitted a compensation request for 4:15min delay SFO-LHR on-line May 8th for 2 passengers.

Received a reply May 11th confirming request was approved in amount of 520 GBP each

Bank account credited with $1320.00 on May 20th

Very please with quick outcome.

I didn't request any compensation beyond the delayed amount due.

The information I supplied was 2 sentences long listing the delayed flight times. Nothing extra.

Thank you to FT for giving me the information to receive this.
Old May 22, 2023, 8:57 am
VLJ

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Wanted to report a quick positive outcome.

submitted a compensation request for 4:15min delay SFO-LHR on-line May 8th for 2 passengers.

Received a reply May 11th confirming request was approved in amount of 520 GBP each

Bank account credited with $1320.00 on May 20th

Very please with quick outcome.

I didn't request any compensation beyond the delayed amount due.

The information I supplied was 2 sentences long listing the delayed flight times. Nothing extra.

Thank you to FT for giving me the information to receive this.
I’m feeling impatient now after reading this. Our flight was cancelled altogether due to lack of staffing back in March and we are still waiting. We incurred Heathrow hotel and meal costs and charges for hotel room at destination. We have received nothing except automated please wait emails. Glad to see you had such luck so we will pursue further.
Luther.e likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:52 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Deploying 49,000 Avios to save £260 is far from being bargain of the year, so I'm inclined to share your assessment. I'm sure he has other qualities.
Just coming back to this as BA haven’t responded - not really sure what can be claimed back.

To summarise - Paid part Cash and part Avios for LHR-AMS return in CE. On the AMS-LHR leg flight was cancelled due to weather - both passengers were downgraded and put on another flight.

Advice appreciated.

Last edited by JD1905; May 22, 2023 at 11:58 am
Old May 22, 2023, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by VLJ
I’m feeling impatient now after reading this. Our flight was cancelled altogether due to lack of staffing back in March and we are still waiting. We incurred Heathrow hotel and meal costs and charges for hotel room at destination. We have received nothing except automated please wait emails. Glad to see you had such luck so we will pursue further.
Same! Submitted ours 22 Feb for 19 Feb cancellation. Getting thoroughly fed up with it now.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:32 pm

We put in our CEDR 1st May, have today had an email saying we have a message on our account. I thought we were in luck but it seems to be a holding message of sorts.

We wish to advise you that your application for CEDR’s Aviation Adjudication Scheme appears to be eligible and can progress to the next stage of the process.

However, due to the current exceptionally high volumes of cases that CEDR has received, we may need to extend some of the timescales for processing your case. This needs to be done so that your case can be given thorough and careful consideration. Rest assured that you will receive a final decision from the adjudicator within 90 calendar days of the date on which we receive the complete case file.’

Does this stage mean they’ve requested info from BA? I didn’t realise the 90 days wouldn’t start until they heard back from BA, am I reading that correctly?
Old May 22, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Emma Heady
We put in our CEDR 1st May, have today had an email saying we have a message on our account. I thought we were in luck but it seems to be a holding message of sorts.

We wish to advise you that your application for CEDR’s Aviation Adjudication Scheme appears to be eligible and can progress to the next stage of the process.

However, due to the current exceptionally high volumes of cases that CEDR has received, we may need to extend some of the timescales for processing your case. This needs to be done so that your case can be given thorough and careful consideration. Rest assured that you will receive a final decision from the adjudicator within 90 calendar days of the date on which we receive the complete case file.’

Does this stage mean they’ve requested info from BA? I didn’t realise the 90 days wouldn’t start until they heard back from BA, am I reading that correctly?
I had this recently as well, shows to me that there needs to be some of penalty that CEDR can levy if they have to deal with more than a certain amount of claims from the same airline where they find in favour of the consumer in a given period
Emma Heady and AutismoSupremo like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:35 pm
formerly JackDann

Have you considered filing through the small claims court? I don’t know anything about your case, but for those of mine that have been quite straight forward i’ve found this to be a quick and efficient way to ensure payment as there are set deadlines.
stifle likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:44 pm

Have you considered filing through the small claims court? I don’t know anything about your case, but for those of mine that have been quite straight forward i’ve found this to be a quick and efficient way to ensure payment as there are set deadlines.
I hadn’t but I will now, thanks.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:16 pm

Question Clarify on EU 261

Just a quick question and I would like your advise please.
I booked the flight from Manchester to Boston(US) on BA website. Outbound flight was operated by Air Lingus and half way the journey from Dublin to Boston, Air Lingus flight experienced a technical issue and we were brought back to Dublin. After staying in Dublin overnight, I had to travel back to London Heathrow and catch a direct BA flight to Boston. I arrived in Boston more than 24 hours late. It was an horrible experience and I could not sleep for more than two days.
My question is, which Air Line is supposed to pay the compensation for the delay/disruption? It seems that both airlines are trying to wash their hands and pointing the finger to each other.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Ei is responsable to compensate you..
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Marschel
Ei is responsable to compensate you..
Thank you
Old May 22, 2023, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You are, and this is a standard message at the moment, however usually you should hear back in about 2 months, or sooner if BA just capitulates.
Emma Heady likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just coming back to this as BA haven’t responded - not really sure what can be claimed back.

To summarise - Paid part Cash and part Avios for LHR-AMS return in CE. On the AMS-LHR leg flight was cancelled due to weather - both passengers were downgraded and put on another flight.

Advice appreciated.
On short services usually the downgrade reimbursement is fairly low thanks to Mennens and the 30% reimbursement for trips under 1500 km. See the wiki as to how the calculation is done. So I would normally just ask Customer Relations to give an Avios gesture instead of going through the slow process of calculating the refund. However it seems like your complaint is one of the many that are stuck, so at 8 weeks you best go to CEDR if only to get a track on the complaint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.