Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Jeedos
Rsaffer - please check my post history on this thread - I was on the exact same service as you and took the BA2278 to LGW on the 14th also. CWS and Sigwx went into more detail as to how the DAMY was allocated (and why BA are fighting our claims!).

I was told to go straight to CEDR by the folks here and just been told my complaint is within scope by CEDR. Now waiting on BA. Looks likely well both get our 520 per head.

BA have paid my expenses without quibbles but not 10,000 avios!

good luck 😄
UPDATE: Ive also just got our confirmation that CEDR will be taking this on for us. Hopefully theyll offer the full amount. Ill keep this thread updated with Bas reply so that others know.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
6 days to process claim

Just another metric on turnaround time for processing of claim

9/11/23 submitted claim via ba.com, auto email ‘we’re on the case’ received same day
15/11/23 email received saying claim successful and funds to be in UK bank a/c within 14 days
21/11/23 funds paid into bank account.

This was for an extremely straight forward BOS-LHR cancel owing to tech of inbound aircraft. Also breakfast and travel expenses to Logan approved for approx 48.

Last edited by NoTiersForMe; Nov 21, 2023 at 6:31 am Reason: updated to include funds received date
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: One World Emerald
For a bit of laugh - the state of BA Customer Relations

Good evening all,

Jest received a response to an EU261 claim for a delayed flight due to a broken cargo door. Its taken them almost 3 months to reply back and they couldnt even get the departure airport right needless to talk about the rest. Have fun.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
As a counter point - last month my flight to Riyadh was delayed by 5 hours - I put in the EC261 complaint the next day, got a complaint number - 3 days later it had been approved and 520 back in my bank account 5 days later (+15 for the taxi paid separately). It was a mechanical defect with the brakes so BA were unlikely to dispute my claim - but no issues for me on this one
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:38 pm

Wish I had your luck on a cancellation and then a 9 hour delay they refused to pay my transport and dinner (they did reimburse lunch though) and the compensation was also refused, they said it was due to weather even though earlier we were told it was a technical fault with the plane
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
My first response to a VS claim - following being booked on VS by BA - claimed that the plane travelled back in time leaving JFK on 20/11 at 1830 and arriving in LHR on 20/11 @ 0630. I guess it's easy to make a mistake and we're all human but it doesn't inspire confidence!
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mikele
Good evening all,

Jest received a response to an EU261 claim for a delayed flight due to a broken cargo door. Its taken them almost 3 months to reply back and they couldnt even get the departure airport right needless to talk about the rest. Have fun.
Sadly, this is not unusual. BA customer relations is very hit and miss and has been for years. Still, in a way I'm surprised they got the airport wrong as one of my qualms with them is that they typically use 90% of the letter to just plagiarise my complaint, repeating every bit and piece in turn almost verbatim adding "I'm sorry that", "I realise that", "we know that our customers care about" and so one to pretend it's actually an answer...
BA or bust and Mikele like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Bronze
Originally Posted by PharmacistTakeaway
Hi everyone,

Ive just been rebooked in Euro Traveller for tomorrow (01/11) after the cancelled BA891 (SOF-LHR) today.

Thank you all for your helpful advice to other people, Ive used it to avoid the mass of people at the gate and am sitting down quite comfortably at the Hilton Sofia.

Just to confirm, will I be able to recoup all costs under duty of care, reclaim UK261, and ORC?

I think Im cursed as this was my first B2B!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, that all seems in scope, in that you can claim hotel, meals and transport costs to the hotel, plus wifi costs. And ORC shouldn't be a problem either.

Out of interest, what happened to cause the cancellation? The LHR-SOF was a little late and usually the same crew would return with the flight.
As a data point and just to follow up on this, I got an email from BA today offering me 350 compensation for the cancellation (to be paid in 3-4 working days) and all expenses paid for (hotel, lunch and taxis to/from the Hilton, to be paid within 28 days). I havent heard about the downgrade compensation from Club Europe to Euro Traveller so have submitted a new claim with that separately. Overall quite happy with the two week response!
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:07 pm

Hi,

Entered a straightforward downgrade reimbursement claim, F to J, on day of flight as aircraft was swapped last minute. This was on Avios and 2for1 Voucher. Flight has been taken.

Heard nothing back for over a week. Reading the Regulation, it does state it should be provided within 7 days. Strange to not hear anything at all though, or maybe this is normal?
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:40 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by hjm12
Hi,

Entered a straightforward downgrade reimbursement claim, F to J, on day of flight as aircraft was swapped last minute. This was on Avios and 2for1 Voucher. Flight has been taken.

Heard nothing back for over a week. Reading the Regulation, it does state it should be provided within 7 days. Strange to not hear anything at all though, or maybe this is normal?
Entirely normal at the moment, Im afraid. Especially if you dont have higher status with BAEC.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by hjm12
Hi,

That's what the Regulation says, so you have the right to bring the matter to Court (and claim interest as of the end of that 7 day period) straight away if you want.

Of course it may be less hassle, even if slower, to allow things to pan out with BA and to take it to CEDR if need be.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
A datapoint to share that after nearly three months I have still had no response to my claim from August.

Our flight LGW-TPA on 26 August was cancelled after boarding due to a 'mechanical issue' with the wing, we were told by ground staff hotels and taxis would not be provided and we should ‘pay and claim’ for them. All flights to TPA including connections were full the 26th and 27th so we were rebooked LHR-MIA on 27 August.

The morning of 27 August our rebooked flight LHR-MIA was cancelled due to 'operational reasons' and we were rebooked again on LGW-MCO later that day. Our total delay was around 24-hours and we had to make our own way from MCO to TPA.

I filed a claim with BA on 27 August, other than an automated response I have had no communication from BA. After 8 weeks I filed a claim with CEDR on 25 October and was told I would make an initial assessment with 15 working days.

15 working days passed and I called CEDR, they informed me 'due to high volumes of cases' the deadline for an initial assessment would be extended by 'around 3 weeks' but told my case 'is eligible' just that it's not been sent over to the airline.

It has now been 11 weeks since my claim for 2 cancelled flights, 2 hotel rooms at LHR, 1 taxi LGW-LHR, 1 taxi LHR-LGW, and one meal at LGW for 4 adult passengers. I'm OW Sapphire with AA but it seems that has not entitled me to expedited processing. I suspect my claim is held up with BA because it includes 2 cancelled flights or that the overall amount is nearly 5,000. What is most disappointing is that CEDR seem to be delaying things even more and on their website there is a note 'that due to covid, some of the timelines outlined in the Scheme Rules have been extended.'
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by ccrab
A datapoint to share that after nearly three months I have still had no response to my claim from August.

Our flight LGW-TPA on 26 August was cancelled after boarding due to a 'mechanical issue' with the wing, we were told by ground staff hotels and taxis would not be provided and we should ‘pay and claim’ for them. All flights to TPA including connections were full the 26th and 27th so we were rebooked LHR-MIA on 27 August.

The morning of 27 August our rebooked flight LHR-MIA was cancelled due to 'operational reasons' and we were rebooked again on LGW-MCO later that day. Our total delay was around 24-hours and we had to make our own way from MCO to TPA.

I filed a claim with BA on 27 August, other than an automated response I have had no communication from BA. After 8 weeks I filed a claim with CEDR on 25 October and was told I would make an initial assessment with 15 working days.

15 working days passed and I called CEDR, they informed me 'due to high volumes of cases' the deadline for an initial assessment would be extended by 'around 3 weeks' but told my case 'is eligible' just that it's not been sent over to the airline.

It has now been 11 weeks since my claim for 2 cancelled flights, 2 hotel rooms at LHR, 1 taxi LGW-LHR, 1 taxi LHR-LGW, and one meal at LGW for 4 adult passengers. I'm OW Sapphire with AA but it seems that has not entitled me to expedited processing. I suspect my claim is held up with BA because it includes 2 cancelled flights or that the overall amount is nearly 5,000. What is most disappointing is that CEDR seem to be delaying things even more and on their website there is a note 'that due to covid, some of the timelines outlined in the Scheme Rules have been extended.'
Unfortunately CEDR is subject to extended delays too. The main thing is that, although not necessarily quick in its own right either, it imposes an external timeline to things that BA must comply with (or face an adverse decision).

Remember that you are entitled to two lots of UK261 compensation as your rebooked flight was also cancelled. I suspect you have already included this as you mention an ammount of nearly 5000 and that compensation amounts to 520 * 2 * 4 = 4160, but just worth mentioning in case you weren't aware.

Of course you also have the option of taking it to Court, but that again isn't an overnight process. Sadly these things take time regardless of how you go about them.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flarmip
Of course you also have the option of taking it to Court, but that again isn't an overnight process. Sadly these things take time regardless of how you go about them.
My MCOL claim is 570+ days and counting. Hearing listed for last week but the Judge ran out of time before getting to mine. Will now be relisted for some date in the far future no doubt.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JeffBHD
My MCOL claim is 570+ days and counting. Hearing listed for last week but the Judge ran out of time before getting to mine. Will now be relisted for some date in the far future no doubt.
Ouch. I thought you were coming due for your day in court/on the phone. Sorry you've had to suffer further delays, old chap
JeffBHD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.