Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old May 7, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stephenjc
Can someone please let me know why BA5 (LHR-HND) on April 12th (landing April 13th JST) was delayed by several hours, as this had the knock-on effect of delaying our BA6 even before the volcanic eruption changed the flight path.
I'll need this as it meant we missed our connection to EDI, and had to stay the night in the Sofitel and get the 1st flight up this morning (sitting on flight waiting to depart now).

Cheers, Stephen.
Just had an update from BA, they are paying out 520*2 compensation plus 190 duty of care for the hotel. I was ready for CEDR/MCOL but no issues at all, very pleased with the outcome.
Old May 8, 2023, 8:30 am

Would appreciate any thoughts on whether BA was right to have denied my request for compensation.
My flight BA0112 on March 24 was cancelled the day before, and I was put on the next flight BA0116. BA116 was then delayed due to almost hilarious reason. First BA internal system mistakenly showed it was cancelled so crew was not picked up, then pilots earphones didn't work so we had to wait until last BA flight landing in JFK to see if their earphones can be borrowed. Anyway, we only departed 11:25pm and arrived 9:45am vs 6:15am original arrival time of BA112. I don't understand why BA customer service would deny my compensation on the ground that "Your claim's been refused because BA0112 on 24 MAR 23 was cancelled and the BA0116 was less that two hours later. "
Old May 8, 2023, 8:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by muzz09
Would appreciate any thoughts on whether BA was right to have denied my request for compensation.
My flight BA0112 on March 24 was cancelled the day before, and I was put on the next flight BA0116. BA116 was then delayed due to almost hilarious reason. First BA internal system mistakenly showed it was cancelled so crew was not picked up, then pilots earphones didn't work so we had to wait until last BA flight landing in JFK to see if their earphones can be borrowed. Anyway, we only departed 11:25pm and arrived 9:45am vs 6:15am original arrival time of BA112. I don't understand why BA customer service would deny my compensation on the ground that "Your claim's been refused because BA0112 on 24 MAR 23 was cancelled and the BA0116 was less that two hours later. "
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.

This may be partly correct but I'm not sure what you claimed for. So if it was for cancellation specifically then if BA116 was scheduled (so not actual) to leave within 2 hours, you've had the correct answer for that. If it was for delay, that relates purely to BA116 and being over 3 but under 4 hours late, if I've understood correctly. So it depends on your precise wording to BA on the subject, but if you claimed delay on BA116 then you can ask whether their answer will change. If you haven't clearly stated it was for delay, then you probably need to start again with the complaint.
Old May 8, 2023, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

This may be partly correct but I'm not sure what you claimed for. So if it was for cancellation specifically then if BA116 was scheduled (so not actual) to leave within 2 hours, you've had the correct answer for that. If it was for delay, that relates purely to BA116 and being over 3 but under 4 hours late, if I've understood correctly. So it depends on your precise wording to BA on the subject, but if you claimed delay on BA116 then you can ask whether their answer will change. If you haven't clearly stated it was for delay, then you probably need to start again with the complaint.
Thank you CWS for my reply. I have been browsing here for a long time but first time posting anything!
I requested for cancellation compensation as I thought it was based on actual departure of replacement flight not scheduled departure. Will try stating it for delay.
Thanks for the advice!
Old May 8, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Originally Posted by muzz09
Thank you CWS for my reply. I have been browsing here for a long time but first time posting anything!
I requested for cancellation compensation as I thought it was based on actual departure of replacement flight not scheduled departure. Will try stating it for delay.
Thanks for the advice!
BA116 on 24Mar23 landed 1 hour 47 minutes late so I'm not sure you will be successful unfortunately. Good luck.

Old May 8, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
May 8th 2023, BA0806...LHR-BLL Aircraft change, Captain not happy with one engine after walk round, then cabin crew out of hours and replaced. Arrival time 3hours 10mins late, scheduled 7pm actual 10.10pm.
Feel sorry for those waiting to get back to LHR on BA0807, would be pushing curfew time. Posted this if anyone was taking the flight and had problems with late arrival transportation issues to get home. May help with compensation for them.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've read and re-read the regulations regarding compensation for a cancelled flight and cannot work out whether I qualify. Can someone help?

My flight BA983 (1225 BER-LHR) was cancelled today with reason TECY. (Thank you to forum member sigwx for that information.)

I was initially rebooked onto BA BA993, with a scheduled departure time of 1435, but that didn't work for me so I was further rebooked onto BA991, departing at 1100. No other flights were available between 1100 and 1435.

I think I might be due something (125€?) because I was required to depart more than an hour before the scheduled departure time and that the only alternative was to depart over two hours after my scheduled departure time. (Although, of course, I don't know whether my arrival would have been delayed by over two hours had I accepted that flight.) Can someone offer an informed opinion?

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Misco60
I've read and re-read the regulations regarding compensation for a cancelled flight and cannot work out whether I qualify. Can someone help?

My flight BA983 (1225 BER-LHR) was cancelled today with reason TECY. (Thank you to forum member sigwx for that information.)

I was initially rebooked onto BA BA993, with a scheduled departure time of 1435, but that didn't work for me so I was further rebooked onto BA991, departing at 1100. No other flights were available between 1100 and 1435.

I think I might be due something (125€?) because I was required to depart more than an hour before the scheduled departure time and that the only alternative was to depart over two hours after my scheduled departure time. (Although, of course, I don't know whether my arrival would have been delayed by over two hours had I accepted that flight.) Can someone offer an informed opinion?

Thanks.
There is no reduction in the amount due for moving a flight forward, compared to reductions of 50% if flight is cancelled but you are rebooked to arrive within 2-4 hours after original schedule. Given you were moved more than 1 hour before, you are entitled to the full cancellation compensation for the distance of the route (i.e. 220)

Last edited by thomasd21; May 9, 2023 at 11:18 am Reason: Adding numbers in
Old May 9, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Can I have an independent view on my thoughts for a claim? Sold as through-ticket
The weather was bad that day but....12th April BA777 ARL-LHR landed just 6 mins late at 1326 and we were booked on BA1334 which left at 1430.
Problem was, we were sent to a remote stand which took 9 mins. Steps were ready and waiting but the bus took 20 mins to arrive. At flight connections we had already been rebooked onto BA1336 as we were too late for the BA1334 (which in fact was itself delayed for 2 hours). We then waited in the Flounge for a a couple of hours to find the BA1336 was cancelled and we were offered a rebook on the BA1338. Given the history of the BA1338 I had a feeling that this one would not go either, so we chose to hire a car and abandon the flight. True to form the BA1338 was delayed by a further couple of hours and did not land until 0028, so the hire car was the right decision and we got home a couple of hours earlier than we would have done if we flew.

I've been on to BA. They sent 20K avios each and offered to pay the car hire cost plus petrol. They say that compensation is not payable because the BA777 landed (6 mins) late due to weather and therefore we would have missed the 60 mins Minimum Connection Time anyway, and that the late bus arrival has nothing to do with it, so therefore the circumstances are exceptional.

If we had landed at a terminal rather than a main stand, or if the bus had turned up in a timely manner, we would have certainly have been through security for the BA 1334 within the 35min conformance requirement. I thought that the BA Minimum Connection Time of 60 mins was a recommendation. My argument is that a bus taking 20 mins to arrive at a remote stand isn't an exception due to weather, just not very good organisation.

Is it the case that as well as passing through security more than 35 mins before the next flight, it is ALSO necessary to be at the terminal 60 mins in advance? Is there any point in arguing this case? Thanks for any advice!
Old May 9, 2023, 12:04 pm

I'm looking on the Iceland Air website to see which compensation bracket I fall under (our flight was cancelled and the replacement flight delayed our arrival by over 3 hours)
The options are -
  • B. Three (3) hours for Flights between 1,500km and 3,500km and flights within EEA of more than 1,500km (EUR 400)
  • C. Three (3) hours for flights more than 3,500km not falling under A or B (EUR 300).
Boston - Glasgow is MORE than 3,500km so I assume I fall under C. But what exactly does "EEA of more than 1,500km" mean?
Old May 9, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bdward37
I'm looking on the Iceland Air website to see which compensation bracket I fall under (our flight was cancelled and the replacement flight delayed our arrival by over 3 hours)
The options are -
  • B. Three (3) hours for Flights between 1,500km and 3,500km and flights within EEA of more than 1,500km (EUR 400)
  • C. Three (3) hours for flights more than 3,500km not falling under A or B (EUR 300).
Boston - Glasgow is MORE than 3,500km so I assume I fall under C. But what exactly does "EEA of more than 1,500km" mean?
Roughly speaking, a flight within Europe that is more than 1500km long
Old May 9, 2023, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Misco60
I think I might be due something (125?) because I was required to depart more than an hour before the scheduled departure time and that the only alternative was to depart over two hours after my scheduled departure time. (Although, of course, I don't know whether my arrival would have been delayed by over two hours had I accepted that flight.) Can someone offer an informed opinion?
Originally Posted by thomasd21
There is no reduction in the amount due for moving a flight forward, compared to reductions of 50% if flight is cancelled but you are rebooked to arrive within 2-4 hours after original schedule. Given you were moved more than 1 hour before, you are entitled to the full cancellation compensation for the distance of the route (i.e. 220)
That also my reading of this, but if they pay 110 it will be because they didn't spot / retain information on the initial offer. It is still arguable but by all means revert when BA responds.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdward37
But what exactly does "EEA of more than 1,500km" mean?
It means flights to the overseas French and Dutch territories. The sun never sets on Europe.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chipster
Is it the case that as well as passing through security more than 35 mins before the next flight, it is ALSO necessary to be at the terminal 60 mins in advance? Is there any point in arguing this case? Thanks for any advice!
There is a well known case that gets mentioned in sub MCT, post Conformance scenarios, namely Germn Rodrguez Cachafeiro and Mara de los Reyes Martnez-Reboredo Varela-Villamor versus Iberia, Lneas Areas de Espaa SA. However I am not aware of anyone who has used that case against BA in these MCT scenarios, or if they have they haven't mentioned it in this thread. Ideally you go to the original gate, and get a photo of you there during or before boarding, to prove the case, but again I'm aware of no-one actually doing this.

For the delay though, as opposed to IDB, if you don't take the flight, you don't get compensation, that bit is simple, and to that extent BA did the right thing with replacement travel, it's not a specific requirement to do this.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.