Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A350 forward loo being blocked off by crew.

A350 forward loo being blocked off by crew.

Old Nov 21, 22, 10:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 624
A350 forward loo being blocked off by crew.

Have others experienced this?

I've just completed four sectors in Club World on the A350. On three out of the four, the forward loo has been blocked off, seemingly for crew use only.

The first sector it happened I just assumed it was always in use as I was redirected to the toilets further back.

The second time I clocked on as I was passing through the galley and heard one crew member remark to the other 'oh she can use the toilet, it's the First Officers other half' and the toilet was manually unlatched from the outside.

The third sector it was available.

The fourth sector again it was blocked and when I was redirected again to the rear loos I simply stated to the crew 'actually, if it isn't in use i'd rather use this one' to which the crew member begrudgingly unlatched the door and allowed me access.

Is this a 'thing' or is it crew gone rogue?
108912 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 10:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: London, UK
Posts: 99
its actually encouraged by management to block it off during main service times. The galley space is simply too cramped to have a meal service and customer toilet use happening simultaneously at the front. Pretty shortsighted by whomever signed off these galley plans. Its also common for the Capt to request that its blocked off so they have easy access when they need it/somewhere to get changed when swapping over from bunk rest
smiles in the aisles is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 10:52 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by 108912 View Post
Have others experienced this?

I've just completed four sectors in Club World on the A350. On three out of the four, the forward loo has been blocked off, seemingly for crew use only.

The first sector it happened I just assumed it was always in use as I was redirected to the toilets further back.

The second time I clocked on as I was passing through the galley and heard one crew member remark to the other 'oh she can use the toilet, it's the First Officers other half' and the toilet was manually unlatched from the outside.

The third sector it was available.

The fourth sector again it was blocked and when I was redirected again to the rear loos I simply stated to the crew 'actually, if it isn't in use i'd rather use this one' to which the crew member begrudgingly unlatched the door and allowed me access.

Is this a 'thing' or is it crew gone rogue?
The forward toilet is usually not available for use during service due to layout of plane / galley. A message to the IFE screens should explain this and invite customers to use the toilets in the middle. Between services, no restriction.

Though on occasions captain would request the toilet to be blocked off as it is next to their rest area (not a standard but captain's request)
xanthuos, wrp96 and Yoshi212 like this.
hydro001 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 10:52 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 624
Interesting. Thanks Smiles and Hydro. :-)
hydro001 likes this.
108912 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 11:26 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
Posts: 576
I assume the same person signed off the A380 layout at 5:28 on a Friday afternoon.

Emirates have a great product. A bar, seating area. It amazing. BAs answer - just stick on the same old seats and a toilet so large it would not be out of place in most houses. Good - can I go home for the weekend now.

I was on a 777 from Sydney. The middle Galley now has to run by hand meals for the club cabins. I went to the WC during service. it was chaos. One member of staff was sitting on the floor surrounded by "stuff" and there was no way to cross to the other side.

Who on earth designs these things ?
MaxFlyer, flygirl68, bafan and 4 others like this.
jeremyBA is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 11:43 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,661
Originally Posted by jeremyBA View Post
I assume the same person signed off the A380 layout at 5:28 on a Friday afternoon.

Emirates have a great product. A bar, seating area. It amazing. BAs answer - just stick on the same old seats and a toilet so large it would not be out of place in most houses. Good - can I go home for the weekend now.

I was on a 777 from Sydney. The middle Galley now has to run by hand meals for the club cabins. I went to the WC during service. it was chaos. One member of staff was sitting on the floor surrounded by "stuff" and there was no way to cross to the other side.

Who on earth designs these things ?
Accountants in offices without windows and who have never seen an aircraft let alone considered how they might be used by people
Waterhorse is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 12:52 pm
  #7  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 17,491
Originally Posted by jeremyBA View Post
I assume the same person signed off the A380 layout at 5:28 on a Friday afternoon.

Emirates have a great product. A bar, seating area. It amazing. BAs answer - just stick on the same old seats and a toilet so large it would not be out of place in most houses. Good - can I go home for the weekend now.

I was on a 777 from Sydney. The middle Galley now has to run by hand meals for the club cabins. I went to the WC during service. it was chaos. One member of staff was sitting on the floor surrounded by "stuff" and there was no way to cross to the other side.

Who on earth designs these things ?
You shouldn't be mentioning that, it upsets people on here ("very tacky" etc.)
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 1:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,242
Yes. I also found this annoying on CPT-LHR this last week, especially as I was in 1K. I also felt the galley was quite noisy for a large part of the night flight, due to the crew mostly working and resting in this area - this wasnt great for sleeping. There was also frequently a queue for both the available bathrooms, which was quite frustrating, especially as I was relatively far from being able to dive in when it was empty. A poor choice of design!
rt23456p and danmushman like this.
Radiation Station is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 1:13 pm
  #9  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 21,578
Originally Posted by Waterhorse View Post
Accountants in offices without windows and who have never seen an aircraft let alone considered how they might be used by people
Or space planners whose brief it was to arrange the Club World Suites in such as way so as not to reduce the seat count too much. The end result leads to the inevitable deconstruction of galleys during service periods creating a cluttered and unsightly front of house environment during service periods.

By comparison, AA continues to implement parallel cross overs on board its 777s with a separate galley area between doors 2L/2R defended by crew as if their very existence depended on it.
Prospero is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 1:17 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold
Posts: 427
Had this on CPT-LHR at the weekend too. As also in 1A being furthest from the middle toilets. 2 toilets for 56 CW passengers isn't sufficient.
It wasn't clear at what points the front toilet became 'unblocked.'
danmushman is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 1:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,242
Originally Posted by danmushman View Post
Had this on CPT-LHR at the weekend too. As also in 1A being furthest from the middle toilets. 2 toilets for 56 CW passengers isn't sufficient.
It wasn't clear at what points the front toilet became 'unblocked.'
I think we might have been occupying the same row on the same flight. I attempted to use the front loo immediately after the seat belt sign went off and was rebuffed by the IFM, shortly after a more fleet passenger entered it. It seems that the decision was made then.
danmushman likes this.
Radiation Station is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 1:36 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold
Posts: 427
Post

Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
I think we might have been occupying the same row on the same flight. I attempted to use the front loo immediately after the seat belt sign went off and was rebuffed by the IFM, shortly after a more fleet passenger entered it. It seems that the decision was made then.
I managed to use it whilst still on the ground
Radiation Station likes this.
danmushman is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 2:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PHL
Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Posts: 1,801
Is it really during service periods? I find it is more often the crew just wants their private loo and not one used by passengers. Not service, but a private loo
MSPeconomist likes this.
TonyBurr is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 2:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: southampton
Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Silver, Emirates Silver Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 224
The problem I have found is that often they never unlock the toilets. I have no issue with them blocking them during service as it is a terrible design.

But I dont think the captain should be able to block it. I get the whole rest issue but they could use ear plugs if the noise if the toilet flushing is unacceptable.

Last time it was out of use the whole time there was a constant queue for the middle ones at least 2-3 people deep each side. Thats not acceptable for business class.
atcer28 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 22, 2:29 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by TonyBurr View Post
Is it really during service periods? I find it is more often the crew just wants their private loo and not one used by passengers. Not service, but a private loo
​​​​​​
it should be so usually for first 2.5-3 hours after take off and for second service - until 40 mins to landing.
Unless the captain has specifically requested it to be blocked off though to those occasions are fewer now, was quite common during pandemic.

​​​​​
hydro001 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread