Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A350 forward loo being blocked off by crew.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350 forward loo being blocked off by crew.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Genuine question, who comes up with these ideas/layouts? is it an option offered by Airbus or are the layouts generally bespoke to whatever an airline wants within given parameters? If it's an airline choice, surely heads would roll given the mess it has created as noted above (not actually requesting anyone loses their job here, in my role as armchair CEO I leave that to the armchair HR department and the sofa board members ). I assume there is a committee of sorts at BA that signs off on this? with the obvious caveat of the bean counters discression. I'm sure it is a complicated process way beyond what I could comprehend. Would they even consider changing the layout/galleys etc?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by endoman
Same for us to SAN in Oct, a lot of crew movement and chat also on the night flight back. PHX in June had the loo open on the outbound. I'm now choosing seats further back in the cabin to cut down on the noise , not bothered if I don't get served early .
Yep.. I flew out to PHX in 2A last week and was due to come back in 1A tonight and have changed it to 9A.

If possible I will actively avoid the A350 (see my other thread on it)
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Genuine question, who comes up with these ideas/layouts? is it an option offered by Airbus or are the layouts generally bespoke to whatever an airline wants within given parameters? If it's an airline choice, surely heads would roll given the mess it has created as noted above (not actually requesting anyone loses their job here, in my role as armchair CEO I leave that to the armchair HR department and the sofa board members ). I assume there is a committee of sorts at BA that signs off on this? with the obvious caveat of the bean counters discression. I'm sure it is a complicated process way beyond what I could comprehend. Would they even consider changing the layout/galleys etc?
I think BA opted for the manufacturer layout which means no modifications equalling less cost.

Likewise for 78-10 where the space for crew bunks is there but BA opted not to install it meaning that a number of routes which the 78-10 was planned on cannot operate those routes now due to crew running out of hours with shortest of delays (e.g. SEA)

It's not a recent thing- similar issues when 777 were introduced and later had to retrofit bunks.

So yes, the layouts are probably that of manufacturers, but airline can choose to modify for extra costs. Just like buying a car. Don't think BA opted for modifications.
LBA_flyer and AnaTravel like this.

Last edited by hydro001; Nov 22, 2022 at 7:53 am
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: BA: ex-Silver, now Blue. VS: Gold
FWIW, I had this last week on VS in UC on an A350. The toilet next to door L1 was out of action all flight, save for when the CC were going in and out.

So it's not just BA!
DelTroon and jonr405 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I believe you mean ‘enhance’…
We've not been allowed to use that term for a while now and I even had the title of one of my threads renamed

Physical BAEC Bronze cards and bag tags eliminated
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by bafan
ha, yes. Knowing BA, I expect the ‘catering change’ was simply to downgrade the second meal…
In reality, the primary meal trays were adjusted from 1/2 size trays to 1/3 size trays, meaning they now take up less space (although the trays may be a little cramped now). There were also reconfigurations of galley layouts.
bafan likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
You compare every single A35K galley layout out there and the answer is clear.

BA = 2 galleys + 1 barely functional “galley” (aka Club Kitchen)

CX, EY, = 3 full galleys

VS = 2 full galleys + 1 small galley behind the Booth

QR = 4x full galleys

Frenchbee (lcc), Air Caraibes = 3 full galleys

Last edited by nomadabroad; Nov 22, 2022 at 9:27 am
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I also am a bit peeved that BA never seem to have individual air nozzles fitted on their wide body planes, including the A350. I had to ask for the cabin temperature to be turned down because I couldn’t sleep lying in my T-shirt and shorts on top of the “duvet” as it was so warm. I’d rather not try and change the temperature for everyone, but I think it’s reasonable to expect to be able to sleep when that’s the main reason I’ve paid for business class on a night flight.
endoman, rayfes, Arsey00 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by hydro001
I think BA opted for the manufacturer layout which means no modifications equalling less cost.

So yes, the layouts are probably that of manufacturers, but airline can choose to modify for extra costs. Just like buying a car. Don't think BA opted for modifications.
Probably the other way around, I think they opted for a galley layout that is less than the Airbus standard config - refer to p.56 of the below document.

https://www.airbus.com/sites/g/files...0-900-1000.pdf

the standard config has 4 galleys actually (only QR seem to have sticked to this, others have opted to remove one or more galleys).
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I also am a bit peeved that BA never seem to have individual air nozzles fitted on their wide body planes, including the A350. I had to ask for the cabin temperature to be turned down because I couldn’t sleep lying in my T-shirt and shorts on top of the “duvet” as it was so warm. I’d rather not try and change the temperature for everyone, but I think it’s reasonable to expect to be able to sleep when that’s the main reason I’ve paid for business class on a night flight.
That’s purely an individual thing. I’ve not done a LH flight in the last 15 years that’s been warm enough. I always take a pullover with me and wear it and wear a tee shirt/vest under my shirt as I’m never warm enough. Even with the duvet.
Iamnotlost likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I assume the same person signed off the A380 layout at 5:28 on a Friday afternoon.

Emirates have a great product. A bar, seating area. It amazing. BAs answer - just stick on the same old seats and a toilet so large it would not be out of place in most houses. Good - can I go home for the weekend now.

I was on a 777 from Sydney. The middle Galley now has to run by hand meals for the club cabins. I went to the WC during service. it was chaos. One member of staff was sitting on the floor surrounded by "stuff" and there was no way to cross to the other side.

Who on earth designs these things ?
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You shouldn't be mentioning that, it upsets people on here ("very tacky" etc.)
Ahem, what i actually said was I found it a 'bit tacky' not 'very tacky', so my fellow Ambassador...............get your facts right
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PETER01
Ahem, what i actually said was I found it a 'bit tacky' not 'very tacky', so my fellow Ambassador...............get your facts right
and, whilst it may be a bit tacky, it’s surely better than the BA version, which has so much wasted space.

The BA A380s are/were a real missed opportunity, apparently just as the A350s are (though I’m yet to fly on one)…
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by bafan
and, whilst it may be a bit tacky, it’s surely better than the BA version, which has so much wasted space.

The BA A380s are/were a real missed opportunity, apparently just as the A350s are (though I’m yet to fly on one)…
True in ways but as a general issue I just don't like the thought of a bar on a BA plane but YMMV as always.

Going back to this thread and the toilet (and galley issues) it's been quite an interesting read especially from BA crew and more thought should have been given to them.

Likewise I have yet to fly on an A350 so the jury is out for me meantime.
bafan likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
True in ways but as a general issue I just don't like the thought of a bar on a BA plane but YMMV as always.
I agree.....call me a snob but a bar would be a step too far down the ladder. If anything, surely a tearoom would be more fitting to the BA brand? I can just see Pucci Galore with her apron and lace hat on serving cucumber sarnies and crumpet.
JimEddie, PETER01, rapidex and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by hydro001

Likewise for 78-10 where the space for crew bunks is there but BA opted not to install it meaning that a number of routes which the 78-10 was planned on cannot operate those routes now due to crew running out of hours with shortest of delays (e.g. SEA)

It's not a recent thing- similar issues when 777 were introduced and later had to retrofit bunks.

Going a bit off topic here as this is an A350 related thread, but the 787-10 is back on the SEA route - I’m booked on one in Jan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.