Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA ending first class to ATL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes, it should be 2 crew members on an 8 F, but on several planes, I suspect there would be no (regulatory) need for extra crew members in J or W or Y if any of those cabins is enlarged instead of F. And yes, exactly, it is then a question of yield, but BA have never made a secret of the fact that F is not the cabin on which they make the most money: W and J are overall significantly more profitable. It doesn't mean that F loses money, and again, on some routes I'm sure it is a healthy earner, but my guestimate is that on an increasing number of other ones, BA will decide that F is not worth it.

As I said, it's a merely guestimate on my part and may very well be wrong, but it is a guestimate that was certainly trying to take into account those moving parts and more (such as the fact that complexity in the fleet leads to losses as sometimes you end up using a 4 cabin plane on 3 cabin routes which is suboptimal.
So out of curiosity, I looked at the capacity of the 14F vs. 8F 772 and 77W, in the context of 1 FA per 50 pax (US FAA regulation, not sure if UK is different). The 772 (77R) goes from 236 (14F) to the 235 (77M - 8F+Club Suites). So same regulatory requirement for at least 5 FAs, although I imagine in reality there are several more (double?). But with J/W/Y having very similar capacity, they probably can just drop the 3rd FA from F.

The 77W (77H) goes from 297 (14F) to 256 (77G - 8F + Suites), both also within the same range for 6 FAs. But here you have J +20 and Y -50 which is probably an even trade so maybe they can also drop the 3rd F FA here as well.
ATLCDG and orbitmic like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ijgordon
So out of curiosity, I looked at the capacity of the 14F vs. 8F 772 and 77W, in the context of 1 FA per 50 pax (US FAA regulation, not sure if UK is different).
UK is 1 cabin crew member per 50 seats, regardless of how many arses are in said seats.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Magnus77
Just spoke to the goldline.Firstly told me that cabin is sold out. I said I am the only person in First.Then we talked about this good forum, they said they had seen flyertalk Then confirmed for May, June and July its a non F 777, although stated no decision has been made apparently. Which is odd as its changed on the app. So clearly they have done so
We are booked ATL-LHR next September in CW. Initial booking was B787-10 with new CS but after seeing this post checked the itinerary and it is now a three class B777-200 but with CS. I wonder if this change is related to the fact the next B787-10 deliveries are seriously delayed from Boeing or that First is no longer viable on this route. Will be interesting to see if we get another aircraft change nearer the time.
ATLCDG likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
We are booked ATL-LHR next September in CW. Initial booking was B787-10 with new CS but after seeing this post checked the itinerary and it is now a three class B777-200 but with CS. I wonder if this change is related to the fact the next B787-10 deliveries are seriously delayed from Boeing or that First is no longer viable on this route. Will be interesting to see if we get another aircraft change nearer the time.
B787 delays I assume will be one of the reasons. Recently most of my F flights have been at least half full. Never flown to ATL so not best placed to offer my 2ps worth on that particular route
ATLCDG likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
B787 delays I assume will be one of the reasons. Recently most of my F flights have been at least half full. Never flown to ATL so not best placed to offer my 2ps worth on that particular route
The 787s to/from ATL on which I have flown have been mostly all/nearly all full.
Magnus77 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
UK is 1 cabin crew member per 50 seats, regardless of how many arses are in said seats.
Yes, fair point, US is as well I obviously just wrote that incorrectly.
ATLCDG likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by ATLCDG
The 787s to/from ATL on which I have flown have been mostly all/nearly all full.
Operational Management have confirmed via a manager at the exec club that no First for the summer season. However they wont update until summer schedule is published even though the website already reflects this. So I am stuck until this updates which is really annoying. Its rather cheeky to expect me to pay fare differences if i change now etc when they know its changing but wont press the bloody button to do it! Any of you good people know when this is?
ATLCDG likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: Advantage, BA, Hertz, Marriott
Unhappy LHR-ATL First withdrawn

Can't find anything official but it looks like First Class has been withdrawn from the Heathrow-Atlanta route.

Was looking to book later next year but no First Class flights found after March.

Tweeted BA but unable to confirm.

Just phoned to enquire about a booking and operator confirms no more First Class after March.

A real shame as First was always busy whenever we flew.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 11:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes I doubt that First has ended forever to ATL, I think it's just an equipment shuffle, where BA now has reduced significantly the number of First seats compared to 2020. First remains possible via PHL, DFW and ORD. Previous discussion here:

BA ending first class to ATL

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 10, 2022 at 12:08 pm Reason: circular link
Old Dec 10, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: Advantage, BA, Hertz, Marriott
Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: Avios
Atlanta First availability from April drops off

Looking to book 2 x reward seats in First from London to Atlanta and there's plenty of availability in February and March but completely drops off from April onwards.

Is this due to the weather and it being a more popular destination as we move into Spring?

Or is it because April is further away and as such BA haven't made a decision on what reward availability to open up, therefore seats should become available in the coming weeks?

Any insights much appreciated, thanks all.

GB

Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by gilbertball
Looking to book 2 x reward seats in First from London to Atlanta and there's plenty of availability in February and March but completely drops off from April onwards.

Is this due to the weather and it being a more popular destination as we move into Spring?

Or is it because April is further away and as such BA haven't made a decision on what reward availability to open up, therefore seats should become available in the coming weeks?

Any insights much appreciated, thanks all.

GB

I am guessing your post was moved to this thread but you can easily see that there is at least enough evidence to conclude that there is no first class seats on this route after March and for the foreseeable future.

I have myself booked a return rewards trip in first to ATL in February and there was a fairly large availability, so much that I was considering going with the whole family (there were 5 reward seats on both flights at one point).

on a separate note for those of you that may have done similar planning, It will be the first time for the wife but I have been before, and so will plan to fly to a different US city from there to spend more of the holiday before returning to ATL for the flight back. Aside of Miami, is there another interesting (and possibly warm) place worth visiting not to many hours flight time away?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by rhegedus
Can't find anything official but it looks like First Class has been withdrawn from the Heathrow-Atlanta route.

Was looking to book later next year but no First Class flights found after March.

Tweeted BA but unable to confirm.

Just phoned to enquire about a booking and operator confirms no more First Class after March.

A real shame as First was always busy whenever we flew.
I currently have a First booking in May it still is First on MMB on a 787-10, at the start of this thread I called the goldline after reading it on here. They couldnt confirm either way. I spoke with a manager who then emailed me an update and passed it on to CS to investigate with revenue management. Someone from CS phoned me two weeks ago today and said a decision is imminent within the next few weeks, therefore they have diaried to call me this week with an update. But as of yet I havent had a downgrade email.
ATLCDG likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:27 am

UPDATE..

Finally had the cancellation email this afternoon. Now have been re routed Via LAX and JFK so will get to try the new Lounge out 🤣😉. Not forgetting the extra points and avios.
ATLCDG and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Smile

UPDATE..

Finally had the cancellation email this afternoon. Now have been re routed Via LAX and JFK so will get to try the new Lounge out 🤣😉. Not forgetting the extra points and avios.
The mark of a true FT'er. Pleased to be rerouted from a direct flight to a 2-stopper :-)
makin'miles, ATLCDG, wrp96 and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.