BA ending first class to ATL

Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Franche Comt, FR, Atlanta, USA
Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Gold
Posts: 404
BA ending first class to ATL

Unless it is an IT error, it appears that BA is ending First on flights to/from ATL. All F buckets for April have been zeroed out on the 781. Starting in May it is a 777 with no First cabin. Unfortunately, for me it is the only reason I fly BA. ...I do hope it is an IT error...
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by ATLCDG; Nov 18, 2022 at 12:49 pm
ATLCDG is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 3,188
So, if you're saying goodbye to BA, who would you fly with instead? Obviously ATL is a DL hub but I don't think they operate a true First Class cabin. There's a lot to be said for direct flights, and Club World isn't that bad
Geordie405 is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:31 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Franche Comt, FR, Atlanta, USA
Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Gold
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by Geordie405
So, if you're saying goodbye to BA, who would you fly with instead? Obviously ATL is a DL hub but I don't think they operate a true First Class cabin. There's a lot to be said for direct flights, and Club World isn't that bad
HA! Yes, DL/AF from ATL. My destination is always France. With BA I fly to Mulhouse/Basel. With DL/AF I fly to Paris and take the train. I suppose I will figure something out. This is truly a first world problem. I am just surprised as BA has flown first to ATL for sometime and the cabins are normally fairly full.
becks1 likes this.
ATLCDG is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:48 am
  #4  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 63,023
First to ATL was a historical route due to Coca Cola and some of the financial services sector using that cabin, which I suspect they are no longer doing. More recently for those "First only" travellers who were looking for redemptions via somewhere other than NYC, ATL often was the way to do it. I don't have any insight to this, but I bet it's just an equipment swap and that at some point First may again go to ATL. I wouldn't read much into this, other than that First capacity is a great deal less than it used to be in BA, and many other carriers.
ATLCDG, wrp96, Geordie405 and 4 others like this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:55 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by ATLCDG
Unless it is an IT error, it appears that BA is ending First on flights to/from ATL. All F buckets for April have been zeroed out on the 781. Starting in May it is a 777 with no First cabin. Unfortunately, for me it is the only reason I fly BA. ...I do hope it is an IT error...
Do you really need to fly F? I love flying F, but only it it's affordable. I flew on the Club Suite the other day and I must admit, it's like a mini F seat now. Service was incredible. Food isn't as good, but do you really pay a tonne of cash for (slightly) better food? I'd rather eat when I land!
ATLCDG likes this.
chriswiles is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:16 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Franche Comt, FR, Atlanta, USA
Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Gold
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Do you really need to fly F? I love flying F, but only it it's affordable. I flew on the Club Suite the other day and I must admit, it's like a mini F seat now. Service was incredible. Food isn't as good, but do you really pay a tonne of cash for (slightly) better food? I'd rather eat when I land!
Well...I certainly do not NEED to fly F. It is just a preference on BA. On DL/AF I fly J actually more than F on BA. When I started flying BA in F it was often the same $ as DL in J or just slightly more. This is the $ comparison for me. I am sure you are correct about the Club Suite. But...the comparison for me would then be Club Suite vs. AF/DL J product. Having more choices of flights from ATL (4-5 per day) and no connecting flight then swings me back to DL/AF for all of my TATL flights perhaps.
wrp96 likes this.
ATLCDG is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Key West
Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 400
I'm booked F in May and it's still showing but if I try and replicate it, it can't be booked.
cayohueso is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:48 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 27,103
Well you could certainly move to AF F (if they even offer La Premiere to ATL, not sure), but it'll cost at least twice as much as BA F!
ijgordon is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:53 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Posts: 4,085
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
First to ATL was a historical route due to Coca Cola and some of the financial services sector using that cabin, which I suspect they are no longer doing. More recently for those "First only" travellers who were looking for redemptions via somewhere other than NYC, ATL often was the way to do it. I don't have any insight to this, but I bet it's just an equipment swap and that at some point First may again go to ATL. I wouldn't read much into this, other than that First capacity is a great deal less than it used to be in BA, and many other carriers.
Yes- not many routes nowadays that will give you 5 reward seats available in F this coming Monday, 3 on Wednesday and 4 on both Thursday and Saturday.
crazy8534 is online now  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:57 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 27,103
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Yes- not many routes nowadays that will give you 5 reward seats available in F this coming Monday, 3 on Wednesday and 4 on both Thursday and Saturday.
Probably more than you think given business travel is dead the week of US Thanksgiving. Prob wouldn't read anything broadly into that. (That said if, say, ATL doesn't have the high-end leisure demand like JFK/LAX do which balances out loads, that could very well be a reason to drop the service.)
ATLCDG and wrp96 like this.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:03 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Franche Comt, FR, Atlanta, USA
Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Gold
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by cayohueso
I'm booked F in May and it's still showing but if I try and replicate it, it can't be booked.
I saw that too. What is even odder is if you book a flight with a connection like: ATL-LHR-BSL you get a priced ticket with F. If you try book ATL-LHR with no connection in F you get no direct flight. This is only in May with the 781. I wonder if they will be changing it out to a non F 777?

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well you could certainly move to AF F (if they even offer La Premiere to ATL, not sure), but it'll cost at least twice as much as BA F!
Yes it would be twice! But, alas, AF no longer flies La Premiere to ATL since the retirement of the A380.

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 19, 2022 at 6:07 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
ATLCDG is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:52 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3,029
ATL hasn’t consistently had F for ages, sometimes they have alternated between 3-class and 4-class on different days of the week. Like YYZ it’s one of those places that tends to get whatever aircraft they have left in the schedule - I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it came back in future.
Confus is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:03 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Posts: 4,085
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Probably more than you think given business travel is dead the week of US Thanksgiving. Prob wouldn't read anything broadly into that. (That said if, say, ATL doesn't have the high-end leisure demand like JFK/LAX do which balances out loads, that could very well be a reason to drop the service.)
Yes, definitely a fair point about Thanksgiving but there are also reward seats in F available almost every day until the (14F aircraft) is rotated out next year so I think it is more than that alone.

Last edited by crazy8534; Nov 19, 2022 at 1:57 am Reason: Not A380
crazy8534 is online now  
Old Nov 18, 2022, 8:20 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Franche Comt, FR, Atlanta, USA
Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Gold
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by Confus
ATL hasnt consistently had F for ages, sometimes they have alternated between 3-class and 4-class on different days of the week. Like YYZ its one of those places that tends to get whatever aircraft they have left in the schedule - I wouldnt be at all surprised if it came back in future.
I have consistently flown F for years...and never had an issue. They scheduled the first 781 on this route. It has been totally consistent with F.

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Yes, definitely a fair point about Thanksgiving but there are also reward seats in F available almost every day until the A380 is rotated out next year so I think it is more than that alone.
A380...Atl? Never flown to Atl

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 19, 2022 at 6:06 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
ATLCDG is offline  
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:56 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Posts: 4,085
Originally Posted by ATLCDG
A380...Atl? Never flown to Atl
I meant the 14F 777s, which I assume will all be gone by sometime next year.
ATLCDG likes this.
crazy8534 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.