Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What sort of person boards last and expects to find space for their carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What sort of person boards last and expects to find space for their carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is mine.

T8191, Tobias-UK, nilsfr69 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by acucobol
Moi. I stay in lounge as long as possible and board as late as possible to avoid queuing and the ensuing scrum.
100% I get priority boarding as BA Silver but I do the same. I've never really appreciated the benefit of boarding early and sitting there while everyone else boards, unless perhaps it is long haul C or F. I prefer to get an extra 10-15mins in lounge. The downside is sometimes you have to queue in the airbridge with this approach but I still generally prefer it.

I don't carry large items of hand baggage so overhead storage is not really a concern for me.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I don't carry large items of hand baggage so overhead storage is not really a concern for me.
The thing I've found with small items of hand baggage is that if you board early and place it in the overhead, inevitably some moron will come along with a huge heavy case and drop it right on your little (possibly fragile) item.

So boarding early in this situation is not really advisable.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Grace B;34655821[b
]The thing I've found with small items of hand baggage[/b] is that if you board early and place it in the overhead, inevitably some moron will come along with a huge heavy case and drop it right on your little (possibly fragile) item.

So boarding early in this situation is not really advisable.
Aren't said items supposed to be placed under the seat in front unless you are exit or bulkhead ?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Butts
Aren't said items supposed to be placed under the seat in front unless you are exit or bulkhead ?
But that's where I normally sit...
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
But that's where I normally sit...
If your small items are small enough, you should reliably be able to find space in otherwise "full" bins after larger pieces have been stowed.
Grace B and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I was annoyed on a recent trip connecting to LHR for a TATL connection, that as a GCH boarding straight away with group 1 that I was asked to put my backpack, which whilst medium sized was plumply packed, under the seat in front of me. As my only piece of cabin baggage. Surely part of priority boarding is having access to the over head bins for your larger item. Of which this was mine. I could, obviously have packed into a larger cabin bag and had it accepted, but that wouldn’t have helped later on when manoeuvring my larger still, but still cabin sized suitcase that I chose to check in the hold.
AmaaiZeg likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Ah! So he used your locker? Was your name in it? Maybe someone else had used « his » locker? We may never know. I do agree with your other points however
I could see his bin as I was stood up - it was completely empty.

on long haul, where there is a bin available per seat, and the bins are very large (you can easily fit two roller bags in each), in my opinion there is no reason not to use the bin above your seat (assuming it’s empty, as his was).

the pain is when I wanted to access my belongings during the flight, they were squished behind his and not easy to get to. And there was no reason why it could t have gone in the (empty) bin above his seat.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Donsyb
in my opinion there is no reason not to use the bin above your seat (assuming it’s empty, as his was).
There is one very good reason: the hat bin above your head is invisible to you in flight, whereas the one opposite you can watch. There are places where the light fingered are at work and so it's better to use the bin over the aisle rather the one above you. Plus it's easier and safer to disembark in that scenario. Overheads are shared space, ultimately, as they are on train, ferries and coaches.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is one very good reason: the hat bin above your head is invisible to you in flight, whereas the one opposite you can watch. There are places where the light fingered are at work and so it's better to use the bin over the aisle rather the one above you. Plus it's easier and safer to disembark in that scenario. Overheads are shared space, ultimately, as they are on train, ferries and coaches.
I don’t really get the ‘locker across the aisle’ thing personally, but you’re quite right CWS, overhead lockers are shared spaces for the whole cabin.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
but he used both! Put one bag above him and one above me! They would have both fitted in the same bin 🤷🏼‍♀️

I get they are shared spaces, but I still think where there is enough bins and they are available, you should use the one above your seat - just my opinion…..
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:05 am

There are places where the light fingered are at work and so it's better to use the bin over the aisle rather the one above you.
Interesting observation. Are there any figures as to how often this happens? And if it happens, is it more likely on long haul?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:18 am

Talking

Originally Posted by hsumh316
Non BA but "some lady"....TG delayed departure for her to board. Her staff came and cleared luggage in First to place her shopping and luggage. Case of TKIAC....when you are a thai princess.
That's sick!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by hsumh316
Non BA but "some lady"....TG delayed departure for her to board. Her staff came and cleared luggage in First to place her shopping and luggage. Case of TKIAC....when you are a thai princess.
Maybe I'm dense, but I failed to decode that acronym, and Brother Google was of no help. Would you mind revealing the secret?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Donsyb
I could see his bin as I was stood up - it was completely empty.

on long haul, where there is a bin available per seat, and the bins are very large (you can easily fit two roller bags in each), in my opinion there is no reason not to use the bin above your seat (assuming it’s empty, as his was).

the pain is when I wanted to access my belongings during the flight, they were squished behind his and not easy to get to. And there was no reason why it could t have gone in the (empty) bin above his seat.
Why didn't you just move your stuff into his empty bin ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.