Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What sort of person boards last and expects to find space for their carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What sort of person boards last and expects to find space for their carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Donsyb

Saying that, not sure what the excuse was for the person on my LAX-LHR flight in J last week, who decided he didn't want to use his own overhead bin and use mine instead!
Ah! So he used your locker? Was your name in it? Maybe someone else had used « his » locker? We may never know. I do agree with your other points however

Short or Long haul I tend to use the one most convenient to me. What amazes me is the possessiveness that comes over people vis à vis shared space. It is truly First Come First Served. I had one man complain that I had used « his » space. I pointed this out and he said that it was « his » space. I replied inquiring which bit was his as surely the person in the window seat could stake a claim as well.

Another Charm School Alumnus chose to tell me not to put my bag above his seat as there was space elsewhere. This was Row 1 MAD-LHR. I told him that I took orders from no one least of all him. He persisted so I involved the Inflight Lead who shut him down. A little while later all was revealed when his elderly partner came aboard with a roll aboard bag. He was a bit slower so the one with whom I had tangled came in to « bag » the space. It was an extremely emotional moment for the poor Lamb as I was on the point of laughing out loud as it was abundantly clear that he was unaccustomed to having his own way. So the poor old boy’s roll aboard had to go a few rows back - as would mine had I boarded at the same time.

Another man on an AA flight to San Juan informed me in F not to put my case in the overhead locker as he had “speciality” breads up there which could be damaged. He was busy chatting up the young man across the aisle at the window. He said would I mind sitting the other side so he could chat to his new best friend. As this was rapidly turning into a Paris and Britney moment I said yes but would he mind putting his breads under the seat? He rapidly agreed although I think the young man felt that I was complicit in this manoeuvre and glared at me. A few gins and a weepie on my IPad and his dilemma escaped my attention.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Another man on an AA flight to San Juan informed me in F not to put my case in the overhead locker as he had “speciality” breads up there which could be damaged.
If only you had been carrying Munster cheese, that could have been a friendship made in heaven.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:48 am

Tickets should include checked baggage. When BA decided to pretend to become a low-cost airline, they caused this situation.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
If only you had been carrying Munster cheese, that could have been a friendship made in heaven.
Indeed! However I suspect that the overhead lockers would have blown open of their own accord!
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sorry, but it isn't.
It's the TKIAC kind. (They Know I Am Coming)
One in the same, they think we know their coming because we supposedly know who they are.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Last nights Seville to LGW flight saw multiple bags from Pax at the back of the plane and boarding last have their bags brought forward to the only bins with room in them.....the CE bins. This was a flight with 10 rows of CE I think,(we were in the exit row (13)in Y). The flight wasn't even full in CE or ET.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Last nights Seville to LGW flight saw multiple bags from Pax at the back of the plane and boarding last have their bags brought forward to the only bins with room in them.....the CE bins. This was a flight with 10 rows of CE I think,(we were in the exit row (13)in Y). The flight wasn't even full in CE or ET.
The obvious solution for these cretins is to make an example of them. Open the opposite entry door, grab the offending bags, then heave ho out the door, hopefully throwing the bags as high as possible with the hope that at least one of them will crash into the pavement with enough force to shatter it and spread its contents onto the closest active taxiway.

That’l learn ‘em
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by moondog
That means you're sacrificing 15 minutes of lounge/bar time in order to sit in an airplane seat for 15 extra minutes. Doesn't make sense to me.
It makes sense to "anxious" or "risk-averse" flyers, the ones afraid of being late and miss the plane. That said, once at the gate at the published boarding time, I try to get a seat to wait the call for my group. If no seats are available, then I begin to get in line.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lefly
It makes sense to "anxious" or "risk-averse" flyers, the ones afraid of being late and miss the plane. That said, once at the gate at the published boarding time, I try to get a seat to wait the call for my group. If no seats are available, then I begin to get in line.
For me, I suppose my holding pen area depends on the situation. I only wait in the lounge until last call in cases where lounge attendants are really clued in to the announcements. Otherwise, I try to find a comfortable staging ground close (e.g. 50 meters or less) to the gate. This is often a bar or a coffee shop, but if the gate area itself is the only option, I still much prefer waiting there than going to battle with uptight people who feel compelled to carry on as much as their physical stature permits. Believe it or not, I've never been left behind.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
For me, I suppose my holding pen area depends on the situation. I only wait in the lounge until last call in cases where lounge attendants are really clued in to the announcements. Otherwise, I try to find a comfortable staging ground close (e.g. 50 meters or less) to the gate. This is often a bar or a coffee shop, but if the gate area itself is the only option, I still much prefer waiting there than going to battle with uptight people who feel compelled to carry on as much as their physical stature permits. Believe it or not, I've never been left behind.
I like to get on first, and glower at my subjects as they descend into the bowels of the aircraft.
acucobol likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 1:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Provided all CE passengers were able to store their bags I don’t see what the issue is here.

Originally Posted by champignon
The obvious solution for these cretins is to make an example of them. Open the opposite entry door, grab the offending bags, then heave ho out the door, hopefully throwing the bags as high as possible with the hope that at least one of them will crash into the pavement with enough force to shatter it and spread its contents onto the closest active taxiway.

That’l learn ‘em
Cretins? A little unfair don’t you think? It’s the nature of the beast that someone has to be last on the aircraft, and typically it’s those in Group 9 who have no choice but to wait until the latter end of the boarding process. If there is room in the overhead bins shouldn’t they be allowed to use them, after all they’ve paid to take their carryon with them too?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:07 am

Moi. I stay in lounge as long as possible and board as late as possible to avoid queuing and the ensuing scrum.
moondog and Enigma368 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Provided all CE passengers were able to store their bags I don’t see what the issue is here.

Cretins? A little unfair don’t you think? It’s the nature of the beast that someone has to be last on the aircraft, and typically it’s those in Group 9 who have no choice but to wait until the latter end of the boarding process. If there is room in the overhead bins shouldn’t they be allowed to use them, after all they’ve paid to take their carryon with them too?
I thought that this was (obviously) tongue in cheek

This entire thread should not be taken seriously, in the least. Of all the annoyances in travel, this has to be among the most petty.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC
My post was purely observational, I didn't have a problem with it.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb

In my experience, including today on the ever delightful service from LHR to NCL, people don’t wait for their boarding group and BA don’t give a hoot about enforcing it. A couple of folks in front of us decided to board with groups 1 to 3, with their group 7 boarding passes in hand.

As another interesting anecdote, the flight was so full that they asked everyone who wasn’t group 1 or 2 to gate check their wheelie bag. About 10% of the plane did this, and I wasn’t feeling that this was a status heavy flight, so I’m wondering if this is something BA will implement regularly moving forward, and whether they will meaningfully “enforce” it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.