Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What sort of person boards last and expects to find space for their carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What sort of person boards last and expects to find space for their carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Have noticed enforcement of many rules seems nonexistent recently, have many BA staff have just stopped caring? On recent flights have seen ET passengers pushing through the curtain to use the toilet at the front and not turned around, and more worryingly crew turning a blind eye to people getting up out of their seats to collect their bags while the plane is still taxiing to the gate.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by SherlockHerbert
I have no issue with those who have large carry on bags.

I just want them to get in the queue early.
Don’t blame the people, blame the airline. Their policies of densification, removing other approved stowages, HBO fares, have caused this. Plus if you’re in a final group for boarding it can be difficult. I fully sympathise. If delays occur then airlines will need to incentivise checking more luggage. BA got hot on this pre covid - perhaps they need to get ‘back on’ to this!

I personally try not to travel with hand luggage and always try to check a bag. I also am generally one of those who will remain seated and let the ‘athletes’ off first as my view is life is too short to stress about getting ‘out’ of the airport. I manage my own mental state from start that “there will be queues and I will have to wait”, so I’m the one sauntering along to passport control after the flight.

I normally get to baggage claim at about the same time as my checked bag.
moondog likes this.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Oct 2, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:42 pm

I didn't mind checking luggage pre-pandemic, always had my bag turn up on the belt relatively quickly.- it was often already there waiting for me if passport control was slow. I'd even pay extra when flying ET to have checked bags! Now I'd pay extra to have cabin bags. I got caught out by the LHR mess earlier this year and will avoid checking bags ever again if at all possible.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I didn't mind checking luggage pre-pandemic, always had my bag turn up on the belt relatively quickly.- it was often already there waiting for me if passport control was slow. I'd even pay extra when flying ET to have checked bags! Now I'd pay extra to have cabin bags. I got caught out by the LHR mess earlier this year and will avoid checking bags ever again if at all possible.
Give it time. Assuming no further pandemic, my bet is 2023 will be a better year. Things are still coming back / finding feet in ‘new normal’.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Have noticed enforcement of many rules seems nonexistent recently, have many BA staff have just stopped caring? On recent flights have seen ET passengers pushing through the curtain to use the toilet at the front and not turned around, and more worryingly crew turning a blind eye to people getting up out of their seats to collect their bags while the plane is still taxiing to the gate.
Is there a rule that the aft toilet on SH is only for J pax?

I was not aware of that tbh, although the curtain might imply that on one view. If that were a rule I can see that as causing various difficulties, not least since it would mean that during much of trolley service much of the ET pax would be without a toilet...
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:41 am

Certainly in the past I have always observed crew sending the forward-toilet seekers away and telling them their toilet is down the back, I guess it's another one of those things that isn't made clear and depends on the crew members discretion on the day.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Provided all CE passengers were able to store their bags I don’t see what the issue is here.

Cretins? A little unfair don’t you think? It’s the nature of the beast that someone has to be last on the aircraft, and typically it’s those in Group 9 who have no choice but to wait until the latter end of the boarding process. If there is room in the overhead bins shouldn’t they be allowed to use them, after all they’ve paid to take their carryon with them too?
Just wait until BA enhancements come up with a "solution" for this: charging Pax to bring hand luggage on board a la Ryanair.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by flieduk
Just wait until BA enhancements come up with a "solution" for this: charging Pax to bring hand luggage on board a la Ryanair.
Good suggestion. 👍
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:54 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Is there a rule that the aft toilet on SH is only for J pax?

I was not aware of that tbh, although the curtain might imply that on one view. If that were a rule I can see that as causing various difficulties, not least since it would mean that during much of trolley service much of the ET pax would be without a toilet...
No, because the aft toilet is at the rear of the aircraft
DYKWIA and travellingwigbury like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:00 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
It won't really solve a problem though unless they make bringing hand luggage on board more expensive than checking into the hold. If BA do start charging and cabin baggage is cheaper than checking it in then you 99% will still have the problem.

It would also mean BA would probably need to recruit more airport staff too as check-in lines will be much busier.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BOH
No, because the aft toilet is at the rear of the aircraft
Embarrassingly, I actually googled the definition of "aft" after I saw that post just to make sure I hadn't been using it incorrectly during the course of my life to date.
BOH and AJA_ like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Me, actually. I don't go around with huge baggage, plus it's fairly squidgy. I can generally find somewhere. If I was taking monster rollaboards doubtless I would use other tactics, otherwise I prefer to stay in the lounge while everyone else gets in a tizz about this and that.
Me too most of the time over these last few years. It's far more relaxing and I've never really found any issues on short haul especially and it's quite squidgy as CWS has stated.

Mind you I did change from a traditional roll-on to the recommended CWS travel bag (although I appreciate it's not for everyone)

One of the best bits of advice I took from him quite a few years ago and so I bought one and can't recommend it enough! (And no we are not on commission for plugging it )

Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Still going strong!

PETER01, crazy8534, Tocsin and 2 others like this.

Last edited by T8191; Oct 3, 2022 at 6:18 am
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

That bag has certainly done a few miles Uncle T
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PETER01
That bag has certainly done a few miles Uncle T
296.008 at least! Don't know when I bought it, but that photo was 2015.
PETER01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.