Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What sort of person boards last and expects to find space for their carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What sort of person boards last and expects to find space for their carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: none
"Who are these people?"
The typical FT Reader/Status Flyer who arrives at the end of boarding through no fault of his/her own. (With a good excuse like short connection, delay at the lounge, long TSA line, etc.,) The airline is obligated to accommodate them.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by SherlockHerbert
I still see plenty of small bags filling you the overhead bins.
Yup. I see FAs shut overhead bins that have small squishy bags that could easily be rearranged to make room for more bags.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by srbrenna
As one who likes to spend time in the lounge (pleasant) rather than at the front of a queue for a considerable time (unpleasant), I would like some overhead space too. I usually travel in J and there should be ample space for everyone in that cabin.

There are people who board early in Y and immediately dump a suitcase in the J bins. They deserve a place in the fifth circle of hell.
The Fifth Circle of Hell is where the wrathful and sullen are punished for their sins.

I'd hazard that the people you mention are not wrathful or sullen. I think they should go into the Ninth Circle, for their treachery.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:49 am

Members of the Royal Family, PM plus staff, plus their bodyguards….
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by moondog
That means you're sacrificing 15 minutes of lounge/bar time in order to sit in an airplane seat for 15 extra minutes. Doesn't make sense to me.
I don't need Lounge/Bar time ... some do. We like to be where we need to be.
Scotair, Misco60 and Tredders like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:20 pm

Long haul first class and private jet passengers.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I do. If flying Club or First. Even on A 320/21.

Bags not from club ought to be removed. Plain and simple.
Kgmm77 and Steve in Olympia like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by OpenSky
I do. If flying Club or First. Even on A 320/21.

Bags not from club ought to be removed. Plain and simple.
This, if your airline is checking the in-limit hand lugggage of a business class passenger you have failed operationally, pretty simple.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I have no issue with those who have large carry on bags.

I just want them to get in the queue early.
They should not be required to queue early and your expectation is unreasonable. Also it is a completely illogical argument as it doesn't matter what order people queue up in, if the overhead storage is going to fill to capacity on a flight, that is going to happen no matter what order people queue in. People should however accept that by boarding towards the end, there is a greater risk that any large carry on items will be gate checked.

I agree with your earlier point that once the overhead storage is full, gate staff should be aware of this and should be gate checking large items. But in short you cannot be annoyed or have unreasonable expectations with the passengers here, they can choose to board whenever they want as long as the boarding gate is still open.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Enigma368
if the overhead storage is going to fill to capacity on a flight, that is going to happen no matter what order people queue in.
Oooh logical thinking award! Actually one of the problems is that people fill the overheads is sub-optimal ways. It would actually make sense for people with larger rollaboards on first, so as the backfill like a bookcase, then for more moderate passengers to board next, and no coats until the end. But there are a few practical flaws with that.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
People who arrive late can also be the ones that had trees come down on the Piccadilly Line and barely make it to the airport in time after they had to find another way to LHR.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Ever had that one person who boards last then starts roughly shuffling/squishing other people’s bags in order to make room for theirs…
Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:35 pm

A simple question, I’m sure you’ll agree.
Who are these people?
Surprisingly, for me, CE row 1. I've noticed a few times I'll be sitting in, say, 1A and no-one next to me, everyone boarding, they turn up almost last, then find they can't get their luggage above.

I guess they think they are 'guaranteed' storage by crew being in row 1 CE (and possibly Gold), so spend longer in the lounge rather than sitting on the aircraft. I must admit, sometimes getting on first can be boring waiting for the entire plane to board.
Enigma368 and T8191 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by strowger
This is weasel words on the airlines' part. If you go and read the small print, or look at their "baggage allowance" page, it will say that somewhere. Probably.[0]

But all of the marketing stuff that actually faces the customer - for example the entire flow from "Google flights search" through to "Airline website" and "payment" just says "carry-on bag" or "cabin bag".

This is deceptive practice that is forbidden in, for example, the sale of financial services. The limitations and exclusions have to be brought to the attention of the customer, not hidden away.

[0] As a test, I went through the booking flow, from Google Flights through to ba.com, for a BA flight. The ticket is sold as "Basic economy" with "1 free carry on". There is a link from the Google Flights page to the BA baggage allowances page at https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances which states the maximum size/weight and merely says "If you have more than two pieces of hand baggage, or they’re over the permitted size, you may have to put your larger bags into the hold as checked baggage.".

On continuing to book, I'm taken to ba.com which notes the "basic economy" fare I'm buying includes "2 pieces of hand baggage" - again with no suggestion that they might be taken from me, nor any link to small print.

Having gone through this process I actually feel *more* entitled and combative about BA attempting to take my bags away from me at the aircraft door. There's no warning anywhere in the sales process that this might happen, and I'd feel quite justified in making a really big, aircraft-delaying fuss about it involving offloading of checked bags &c. I'm not *actually* going to do this but - BA are really machine-gunning their own feet with the way they handle this.
BA is not responsible for the content on other websites or for the links provided on those sites, if you book via ba.com your baggage allowance is set out via the link provided during the booking process: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-essentials - this is what you will find (bolding mine for emphasis):

Hand bag

Up to 40 x 30 x 15cm (16 x 12 x 6in)

Up to 23kg (51lb)

Guaranteed in the cabin

You can bring a small bag for essentials like medication, mobile phones, other electronic devices and passports. This is guaranteed to travel with you in the cabin as part of your British Airways baggage allowance.

Cabin bag

Up to 56 x 45 x 25cm (22 x 18 x 10in)

Up to 23kg (51lb)

May need to go in the hold

A larger bag is allowed in the cabin, subject to space being available. Keep medication, travel documents and valuables in your smaller hand bag as well as electronic devices containing lithium batteries, spare batteries and power packs, as these are not allowed in the hold.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chriswiles
Surprisingly, for me, CE row 1. I've noticed a few times I'll be sitting in, say, 1A and no-one next to me, everyone boarding, they turn up almost last, then find they can't get their luggage above.

I guess they think they are 'guaranteed' storage by crew being in row 1 CE (and possibly Gold), so spend longer in the lounge rather than sitting on the aircraft. I must admit, sometimes getting on first can be boring waiting for the entire plane to board.
I thought the whole point of the exercise was to board first, in group 1, exhibiting your gold brag tags on everything, and then to glower down at your inferiors as they pass down the aisle, in search of bin space, before some oversized unwashed primate sits next to them in the middle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.