Wiki Posts
Search

Sick of "Bread and Water" in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Sick of "Bread and Water" in Economy

Isn't it about time BA reinstated a full Bar/Tea and Coffee Service in short haul Economy ?

If BA Cityflyer can do it why can't they ?

Sick of having to raid the Lounge for a can of Heineken and decent sized / flavoured packet of crisps prior to boarding.

Have they bought a job lot of "Lightly Sea Salted Tyrells Crisps" - other flavours are available (and sizes)
SK, dddc, becks1 and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
I'm wondering where this thread is going to go. Essentially you admitted to pilfering the lounge for beer instead of paying for a beer onboard? Or am I missing something? As far as I'm aware, economy offers a buy on board service which includes food and alcohol. Other option is upgrade to CE.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
I'm wondering where this thread is going to go. Essentially you admitted to pilfering the lounge for beer instead of paying for a beer onboard? Or am I missing something? As far as I'm aware, economy offers a buy on board service which includes food and alcohol. Other option is upgrade to CE.
Makes total sense to spend 400 just to get a coffee and a muffin.
dddc, goldy, kitbag1984 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
I also miss
but unfortunately this seems to the the direction most European airlines have now gone for short haul. I dont see BA going back to free catering anytime soon.
simonsmith, salut0, MarcD and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by SherlockHerbert
Makes total sense to spend 400 just to get a coffee and a muffin.
Then use BoB or buy something in the airport. But talking things from lounge when it is clearly prohibited is not the best approach..
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:04 am

Then use BoB or buy something in the airport. But talking things from lounge when it is clearly prohibited is not the best approach..
I think the OP was making the point that BOB isnt available. At least it wasnt on my last trip to BCN.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by SherlockHerbert
I think the OP was making the point that BOB isnt available. At least it wasnt on my last trip to BCN.
Ah, fair enough. That wasn't 100 percent clear but a valid observation. But the post seemed to indicate this wasn't the first time, so seemed more of a criticism of having to pay onboard vs taking something from lounge.
SherlockHerbert likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I agree to an extent with the OP. BA used to be able to provide a full service. There's really no reason not to. In fact, on three out of my last four short haul flights although the crew came round with crisps and water they then didn't come back round to pick up any rubbish. On one flight I pointed this out and got an "Oh? Really? I'll speak to them" from the IFM (or whatever the current title of the day was at the time) but when it happened on the following two flights I assumed it was a new SOP. Then on the most recent flight the rubbish was collected.

However, in terms of food, on my last trip from LHR to NCL had I been able to BOB then I probably would have done so as I was peckish and didn't have time to pop into the lounge as I was on a very tight connection.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:33 pm

pilfering the lounge for beer instead of paying for a beer onboard
It this supposed to be a faux pas?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by bigdog2
It this supposed to be a faux pas?
Only if you're caught
Mordac likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

What difference does it make whether you consume it in the Lounge or on the Aircraft ?
endoman, Grace B, SFO777 and 14 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Butts
What difference does it make whether you consume it in the Lounge or on the Aircraft ?
food and drink in the lounge is for use whilst using the lounge. Taking it from the lounge against the rules to consumer elsewhere is technically theft. Ultimately, Id suggest such additional costs have likely contribute to the closure of lounges (not as a single factor of course but as a business when lounges cost more than the income they generate leads to closure).

I was under the impression one could preorder food/drinks for flights once again now and order onboard if stock is available.
vanmunchen, TTmex and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
food and drink in the lounge is for use whilst using the lounge. Taking it from the lounge against the rules to consumer elsewhere is technically theft. Ultimately, Id suggest such additional costs have likely contribute to the closure of lounges (not as a single factor of course but as a business when lounges cost more than the income they generate leads to closure).

I was under the impression one could preorder food/drinks for flights once again now and order onboard if stock is available.
How is it going to be an additional cost if I consume it on the plane rather than in the Lounge ? - same can of beer and packet of crisps.

You need to get out more often (and perhaps out of Business Class) if you seriously believe I am the only person adopting such tactics to counteract the lack of service in cattle.
IAN-UK, goldy, SW7London and 38 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Butts
How is it going to be an additional cost if I consume it on the plane rather than in the Lounge ? - same can of beer and packet of crisps.

You need to get out more often (and perhaps out of Business Class) if you seriously believe I am the only person adopting such tactics to counteract the lack of service in cattle.
Let's say you have two hours in the lounge. You can consume 4 beers and 2 bags of crisps. Now you have 2 hours on a plane. You take 4 beers and 2 more bags of crisps. The company has paid for you to have 8 beers and 4 bags of crisps when it would have been half had you stuck to the rules. I'm not suggesting you take four cans of beer, but the point is you are adding to their cost by taking things to consume in the time you're not in the lounge.

Also the fact that other people take stuff doesn't make what you do right. By your logic we could fill a rucksack full of stuff and the airline would just have to accept it. Taking a can may seem like a mistemenor to you, but it still amounts to theft.
SKT-DK and vanmunchen like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
The way these threads always follow the same pattern is so boring.

Some people think they should strictly follow the airline request to not take food and drink from the lounge and that's fine.

Some people still take stuff. Probably that's fine too. The airline could take more extreme measures if this was perceived as a significant problem, and they haven't.

Ultimately, BA hasn't asked anyone to act as their beer can police, so I don't understand why so many here do that.
SK, RichardInSF, goldy and 46 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.