Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sick of "Bread and Water" in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by danmushman
i thought it was standard practice in the lounges - everytime you get a drink, you get two; one for immediate consumption and one for 'the carryon bag.' Luckily BA don't check carryon bags at boarding like the LCC, otherwise they'd find my collection of JetStream, Coke Zero (and bottled water if you're in LGW)
In the same way as many miniatures are taken off the planes to be drunk in hotel rooms
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
In the same way as many miniatures are taken off the planes to be drunk in hotel rooms
always better if you convince the FA to not unscrew the mini champagne too
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I guess we can expect BA to close the lounges at Heathrow then as a few bags of crisps are not eaten in the lounger yet are on flights.

I will guarantee that far more food is discarded every day than is 'stolen' by passengers who have paid a lot of money for tickets on their planes in a full year.
I suspect not, quantity to scale and greater income generation makes lounges more profitable in Heathrow, but I do think there will be more transferred to a third party or OW lounge around the world. Your counter argument that there is some other unavoidable costs isnt a good one in my mind; you dont happen to work in the MOD do you? Reminds me of people making the same arguments for overspending on procurement projects.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:36 pm

I once, a few years ago, took a packet of crisps from the flight and ate it in the arrivals lounge.

So that's one packet on me for someone to take. Enjoy!
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I once, a few years ago, took a packet of crisps from the flight and ate it in the arrivals lounge.

So that's one packet on me for someone to take. Enjoy!
Please supply your frequent flyer number so you can be banned from all future flights!
Old Sep 10, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Do I have to ingest, digest and egest everything in the lounge before boarding to avoid becoming a fugitive?
SherlockHerbert and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 2:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Do I have to ingest, digest and egest everything in the lounge before boarding to avoid becoming a fugitive?
Seems to be the case.

Otherwise our new King might have your neck on the block! 😂 😂
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:07 pm

Egesting lounge matter on the flight is a definite no no
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by navylad
I suspect not, quantity to scale and greater income generation makes lounges more profitable in Heathrow, but I do think there will be more transferred to a third party or OW lounge around the world. Your counter argument that there is some other unavoidable costs isnt a good one in my mind; you dont happen to work in the MOD do you? Reminds me of people making the same arguments for overspending on procurement projects.
But the issue here is that there is a constant battle between the client and the company. BA is trying to save as much as they can and the customer is trying to make the most of it. The occasional bag of crisps gone missing is similar to my local GP when years ago they decided to start using second class stamps as this would have save 1 pound per month or something while they had a very profitable GP surgery. Also the recent examples of closing so many lounges including the one in Amsterdam shows that it had nothing to do with crisps or a Diet Coke taken from the lounge. The lounge actually never opened after the pandemic.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lioneye
I suspect it's those who do that plus fill their pockets on the way out that are the problem.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by danmushman
Egesting lounge matter on the flight is a definite no no
People do this every day, though I should hope they use the lavatories.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Butts
I notice nobody has addressed why BA City flyer seem able to manage a Bar/Drinks Service in Economy yet BA "proper" don't

Whoops, Hydro thanks for the same timed possible answer.
I am not going to criticise you for taking a few beers & snacks for your flight.

But who said BA mainline cant manage a bar round? Of course they can? They choose not to. For years, BA served a hot breakfast to everyone on flights to Scotland and a bar service / salad in the evening. Ex Gatwick, in Club, they managed a full English to Jersey. Now its a filled roll. Blame covid or whatever - its all down to cost. Of course they could.

I dont think BA suggest they cant. I think theyd point out that a bottle of water & a snack is more than pre covid. And their BoB selection responds to needs of their customers.
skipness1E, navylad and ExAbz like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ermis177
But the issue here is that there is a constant battle between the client and the company. BA is trying to save as much as they can and the customer is trying to make the most of it. The occasional bag of crisps gone missing is similar to my local GP when years ago they decided to start using second class stamps as this would have save 1 pound per month or something while they had a very profitable GP surgery. Also the recent examples of closing so many lounges including the one in Amsterdam shows that it had nothing to do with crisps or a Diet Coke taken from the lounge. The lounge actually never opened after the pandemic.
A battle? Rather hyperbole there.

For me, flying is a transaction- I pay for a service, if I was not happy with the value received, Id book elsewhere. I wouldnt try to get more value by taking alcohol from the lounge. YVMV.

How does lounges closing during the pandemic and not opening after disprove that the economics of lounges includes the higher cost due to people taking things for consumption later?

As for your example of your GP switching to second class stamps, very much OT and I dont know the size of your GPs practice but with up to 2804 patients per GP, letters sent for screening of chronic conditions, results, referral letters etc, will likely save thousands of pounds a year by using 2nd rather than 1st (and would save more if email and other electronic methods used more). The NHS spends somewhere around 100m on postage a year so those savings do matter.
HIDDY and flybymonkey like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:27 am

I don't think there would be Galley space on most s/h a/c to have anything like full catering restored; years ago all catering was uplifted from down route stations as well for the return leg....
skipness1E likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by navylad

For me, flying is a transaction- I pay for a service, if I was not happy with the value received, Id book elsewhere. I wouldnt try to get more value by taking alcohol from the lounge. YVMV.
Its a transaction for me as well but when things go wrong sometimes I feel the need to self compensate. Quick example: last week I was flying from Gatwick. First lounge breakfast options were fine. Then I decide to take a shower. For 45 minutes they couldnt find the keys from the showers and at the end after 1 hour someone came and open the shower door with a knife. Yes a kitchen knife. He used it to unlock the door. They had no shaving kit and the shower was dirty. Hair all over the place and the toilet wasnt clean at all ( I dont want to get into details but i am sure you get what I mean). I ended up compensate myself with a few bag of crisps and a muffin from the lounge. I put them in my bag and had them during the flight. Regarding your theft argument you will not find a single CPS lawyer who will take this case. Proving the definition of theft for items that are available to consume by clients but its a theft if they take them on a plane its impossible.
GentleGiant likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.