Wiki Posts
Search

Sick of "Bread and Water" in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TTmex
Let's say you have two hours in the lounge. You can consume 4 beers and 2 bags of crisps. Now you have 2 hours on a plane. You take 4 beers and 2 more bags of crisps. The company has paid for you to have 8 beers and 4 bags of crisps when it would have been half had you stuck to the rules. I'm not suggesting you take four cans of beer, but the point is you are adding to their cost by taking things to consume in the time you're not in the lounge.

Also the fact that other people take stuff doesn't make what you do right. By your logic we could fill a rucksack full of stuff and the airline would just have to accept it. Taking a can may seem like a mistemenor to you, but it still amounts to theft.
I actually had 5 San Miguel's during a 2 Hour Delay in Jersey yesterday. There's no way I would take 4 beers onboard.

More pertinently if there were not so many delays people would be consuming less hence to an extent they are the authors of their own downfall with respect to enhanced consumption increasing costs.

Is it theft to remove items from The Lounges ?

I have not seen any signs discouraging such practices.
BravoKilo and Loungeabout like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
OP has a clear choice. Pay for a cabin that comes with catering or purchase BoB.

I think the limited free offer in ET is here to stay.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario
The way these threads always follow the same pattern is so boring.

Some people think they should strictly follow the airline request to not take food and drink from the lounge and that's fine.

Some people still take stuff. Probably that's fine too. The airline could take more extreme measures if this was perceived as a significant problem, and they haven't.

Ultimately, BA hasn't asked anyone to act as their beer can police, so I don't understand why so many here do that.
It's a bit like the way "All you can eat " Buffets are costed.

The people who voluntarily choose to eat or drink moderate amounts outweighs those who may over indulge and it averages out to an acceptable cost level..
nancypants and mnhusker like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
get s grip...by CE, drink in the lounge or fly EZ
neuromancerLKLB and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
When flying economy, I often try to purchase a Tesco or M&S meal deal (other meal deals are available)
Drink the smoothie before security

Then enjoy the lounge in all its glory 😂
Then eat the sandwich and small pot of apple and grapes on the flight to compliment the bottle of water and nutrigrain bar
BravoKilo likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84
OP has a clear choice. Pay for a cabin that comes with catering or purchase BoB.

I think the limited free offer in ET is here to stay.
If BA City flyer can provide onboard drinks and a snack I don't see why BA proper cant...

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Until such times I (and many others) will be exercising the third option.
TRISTAR1979 and skipness1E like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CT-UK
get s grip...by CE, drink in the lounge or fly EZ

Must admit I was thinking the same myself especially as he has lounge access. I travel to Buenos Aires which is a three hour road journey by bus and seem to survive without any food or drink.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fatdickie
When flying economy, I often try to purchase a Tesco or M&S meal deal (other meal deals are available)
Drink the smoothie before security

Then enjoy the lounge in all its glory 😂
Then eat the sandwich and small pot of apple and grapes on the flight to compliment the bottle of water and nutrigrain bar
Indeed, a takeaway from said Lounges - very reasonably priced.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by TTmex
But talking things from lounge when it is clearly prohibited is not the best approach..
Where is this stated?

Can't say I have seen this in any business or first class lounge anywhere in the world.

Did you also not take a newspaper to read on the plane from the stand before you boarded? There wasn't a sign there either to the best of my knowledge.

You are enjoying your beverage or snack on the plane instead of the lounge. it is not clearly prohibited.

If it was, I would expect to see signs saying no external food can be consumed in here and no food must be taken out.

Maybe I have got it wrong for the last 30 odd years......
acucobol likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
OPs thread title is inaccurate- the bread and water actually seems to be beer and crisps pilfered from the lounge.
TPJ and James91 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Butts
How is it going to be an additional cost if I consume it on the plane rather than in the Lounge ? - same can of beer and packet of crisps.

You need to get out more often (and perhaps out of Business Class) if you seriously believe I am the only person adopting such tactics to counteract the lack of service in cattle.
Sorry you feel the need to make things personal. No I dont need to get out more. Perfectly happy to buy what I consume and not feel the need to steal from the lounge and hey, go out and enjoy myself too thanks [Sar] for your concern.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
"Sick of "Bread and Water" in Economy"

I suppose you could hope that Jesus doesn't have OW status...
neuromancerLKLB and JD1905 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Where is this stated?

You are enjoying your beverage or snack on the plane instead of the lounge. it is not clearly prohibited.

If it was, I would expect to see signs saying no external food can be consumed in here and no food must be taken out.

Maybe I have got it wrong for the last 30 odd years......
Perhaps you've gotten away with it over the last 30 years, but bringing beer on a plane (as OP suggests) and drinking it is illegal. I suppose you could tell the FA that you've just nicked that beer from the lounge and it's still technically BA's beer, but I'm not sure how well that would go over.
sackdzmom likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:07 pm

Just curious. I don’t fly BA, however isn’t lounge access usually for people not flying economy.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by steveholt
Perhaps you've gotten away with it over the last 30 years, but bringing beer on a plane (as OP suggests) and drinking it is illegal. I suppose you could tell the FA that you've just nicked that beer from the lounge and it's still technically BA's beer, but I'm not sure how well that would go over.
Illegal?? LOL
On BA you can consume your own alcohol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.