Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
They've existed as long as FT in the days when American carriers used to pay $$$ to get people off aircraft - and I believe that Delta gave some woman $10,000 the other day to get off some puddle hop, but that might be absolutely Apocryphal (I'll let you look that word up if you possess such a thing as a Dictionary on your Pampas wilderness )

apocryphal.....''(of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.''

Sounds about right if it was posted on FT.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:51 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RGS5526
Its never good engineering practice to build a single point of failure into a system. So why not introduce a secondary hub outside London that can be expanded rapidly if LHR has problems.
Yes, but that assumes the problem is being looked at as an engineer. It isn't.
Because of the way people who make business decisions are incentivised (explictly and implicitly) short term revenue gain will always come out on top against robustness and longevity. The (not entirely unreasonable) assumption is that getting profits tomorrow is somebody else's problem and they may then have a better hack than you do now. It's not a way of working I agree with, but sadly I'm afraid it is ubiquitous and there's no point trying to convince anyone to do anything else. (At least not until the revolution).
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:24 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Surely you get re-routed (EC261) then claim ORC?
There have been posts on here lately than BA have been denying legit ORC requests, before anyone takes it for granted.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Yes, but that assumes the problem is being looked at as an engineer. It isn't.
Because of the way people who make business decisions are incentivised (explictly and implicitly) short term revenue gain will always come out on top against robustness and longevity. The (not entirely unreasonable) assumption is that getting profits tomorrow is somebody else's problem and they may then have a better hack than you do now. It's not a way of working I agree with, but sadly I'm afraid it is ubiquitous and there's no point trying to convince anyone to do anything else. (At least not until the revolution).
Indeed, having one or two hubs isn't an engineering problem. It's an issue of demand.
There is no way the UK can have two major LHR-like hubs, there just isn't the demand for it. There's no scenario where you can have two LHRs - both of them with tens of thousands of employees and flights - in the UK, especially if one is to act as a 'standby hub' in case the other goes offline. The only country in Europe that has two hubs is Germany, and even in that case MUC is very much second fiddle to FRA.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:40 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 13901
Indeed, having one or two hubs isn't an engineering problem. It's an issue of demand..
Sure, i.e. an economics problem. The goal is to make money not serve passengers as individual people or as a population. Not all countries take the same approach (e.g China) [puts on flame proof suit]
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Indeed, having one or two hubs isn't an engineering problem. It's an issue of demand.
There is no way the UK can have two major LHR-like hubs, there just isn't the demand for it. There's no scenario where you can have two LHRs - both of them with tens of thousands of employees and flights - in the UK, especially if one is to act as a 'standby hub' in case the other goes offline. The only country in Europe that has two hubs is Germany, and even in that case MUC is very much second fiddle to FRA.
And these two Lufthansa hubs are fed by a network of multiple airlines from multiple major European cities (which is why it's Lufthansa group). Two hubs work, but usually this involves multiple airlines as part of one group (eg AMS/CDG for AF-KLM or Lufthansa Group with its several group hubs). For just BA in the UK it indeed is not gonna work, apart from some specific leisurely routes from LGW.
13901 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:33 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I know this has little to do with BA short-haul, but I recently flew LHR-YVR and back in biz, both routes that BA flies non-stop.

I went with Air Canada non-stop. I simply didn't want to risk delays, cancellation, bags not arriving, etc.

Both my AC flights arrived early. (The BA equivalents both arrived over an hour and 20 minutes late). My bags arrived safely, and my baggage allowance was better than BA's. I didn't have to pay extra to select my seat, nor Mrs 1P's seat. (Come on, BA!) The food and wine were excellent.

It would be really good to fly with BA, but at the moment I can't see myself taking that option. This latest news about short-haul flights until 8 August is bad news. No doubt it will be extended. In fact it's probably for the best, given that BA can't even maintain its current operation in any coherent form. Is another change at the top due?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Interestingly, BA obviously has a view on this and their latest interim results presentation makes it clear they are aware that business travel remains below norms but that overall premium travel is above historic levels.

They seem to be content with the situation that business travellers will move down frequent flier tiers and leisure travellers will move up (vv the ‘bucket and spade GGL thread’). My own opinion is that the situation is temporary and that a large proportion of the money saved from not doing much or going anywhere over lockdown is now gone and the ‘cost of living crisis’ will shortly make its mark on holiday bookings.
I tend to agree. Speaking as that 'bucket and spade ggl' (tongue in cheek thread title), it's not the cost of living as much as the cost of BA Holidays and BA flights putting us off. For example, a luxury holiday we have just booked to Mauritius for 2023 was 14K on BA Holidays, we've got it for £7.5k cash, 19.5k net avios, 2 guf1s, a companion voucher and a joker. A year ago that same holiday would have been 10k in all. While there are people with infinite money who can cope with a 40% increase that isn't us. We assume that the current surge pricing will disappear, lower fare buckets will once again be available and things will go back more to normal; but with a higher proportion of leisure travellers than maybe there were before covid.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by RGS5526
Getting back to the starting point of this thread, would it not make sense for BA to reduce its dependence on London airports, and LHR in particular?
In a nutshell: no. Time and again, being the London airline has kept BA alive when it could have otherwise gone through some extremely rough fortunes.

If the idea is to stop being a hub airline or go multi-hubs, then BA will stop being a major, a significant number of routes will stop being viable, and interest in BA as a partner from various corners of the world will go down dramatically.

If it is to move to a non-London hub then I have no doubt a number of other airlines will be ready to crack open the Champagne and volunteer to replace BA as the new London hub.

Either way, my guess is that BA will be a lot worse off than it currently is. So on the contrary, I'd stay put in London as firmly as I can if I were them...
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Sure, i.e. an economics problem. The goal is to make money not serve passengers as individual people or as a population. Not all countries take the same approach (e.g China) [puts on flame proof suit]
Well, it's been a while since I looked at China's airline setup in detail but I seem to remember that the various hubs (PEK, CAN, PVG and to a lesser extent Chengdu, Xi'an and others) are sort of divvied up between the various big players. I might be wrong, but Air China seems to me to be focussing on PEK, Southern on Guanzhou, Eastern on PVG and so on. Had the UK been as big I guess we could have London Airways over at LHR, FakeTan Airlines at Gatwick, Jocks Aloft in Glasgow, Geordie Airways at NCL, Brummies Worldwide in BHX and the Scousers would be stealing Mancunian Airways' wheels overnight.

Now, can you lend me that flame proof suit of yours?
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Well, it's been a while since I looked at China's airline setup in detail but I seem to remember that the various hubs (PEK, CAN, PVG and to a lesser extent Chengdu, Xi'an and others) are sort of divvied up between the various big players. I might be wrong, but Air China seems to me to be focussing on PEK, Southern on Guanzhou, Eastern on PVG and so on. Had the UK been as big I guess we could have London Airways over at LHR, FakeTan Airlines at Gatwick, Jocks Aloft in Glasgow, Geordie Airways at NCL, Brummies Worldwide in BHX and the Scousers would be stealing Mancunian Airways' wheels overnight.

Now, can you lend me that flame proof suit of yours?
Come on, give us the rest... BHD, CWL, and most importantly, SEN...?
13901 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If the idea is to stop being a hub airline or go multi-hubs, then BA will stop being a major, a significant number of routes will stop being viable, and interest in BA as a partner from various corners of the world will go down dramatically..
I may be wrong but doesn't IAG operate two hubs? BA from LHR and IB from MAD? And technically a smaller 3rd hub being Aer Lingus out of DUB? And BA partners with AA, Finnair and IB on the transatlantic joint business which will be expanded to include Aer Lingus when it eventually becomes a full OW member and a similar approach seems to be developing with Qatar Airways on routes via DOH So while BA itself appears to concentrate on LHR and seems to be dropping lots of routes you can still book on BA flight numbers as codeshares on other OW metal to many of its former direct destinations (KUL on MH for instance).
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by AJA_
I may be wrong but doesn't IAG operate two hubs? BA from LHR and IB from MAD? And technically a smaller 3rd hub being Aer Lingus out of DUB?
Well, you can add BCN (Vueling) and till recently JNB (Comair)! But IAG is not an airline, it is a group, just like the LH group has various airlines with hubs in FRA, MUC, BRU, WAW, VIE, ZRH, DUS, etc, and AF KL airlines which hubs are at CDG, AMS and ORY.

None of these groups has ever wanted to merge airlines (the closest to it was AF KL but it still stayed well clear), so each keeps its own hubs. There is of course value in interconnecting them to benefit from network complementarity, not least in the case of IAG because BA is outside of the EU whilst partners like IB are in, but connectivity notwithstanding, they remain separate airlines with separate strategies, services, and managements.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA

At the end of the day the greatest impact of this restriction is for those who tend to need to book very short notice travel.
I’m a bit late to this thread but not to the story: currently facing a number of business issues driven by monetary and political issues, but am unable to easily travel. I have always said that Zoom etc are perfect for day to day, but new business and difficult business are best dealt with in person. Yet here I am. Not impressed - at least last week I could get last mi Ute full price fares!
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I wasn't suggesting that IAG is an airline. I agree that the airlines all operate as independent entities. That to my mind is sensible. I raised the point more to suggest why BA doesn't open a second hub elsewhere in the UK like LH does in Germany. The point being it doesn't need to. It already has several hubs albeit geographically spread across western Europe via group airlines within IAG. And each of them is even more interconnected with the shared FF currency of Avios which has expanded to include Qatar Airways and its hub at DOH allowing you to create connected itineraries on any of the group airlines.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.