Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Hmmm... why "either/or"? ie why should you get TP+avios but not flights when you actually bought flights, with TPs and avios and it is BA who cancelled the flight??
If the flight is cancelled you can have a refund or rebook as normal, or under the Pucci Policy you can now choose to instead get the TPs and avios. I can't see any argument for getting both, it would appear to be taking the p*** if you did.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
BAEC is very much a bums on seats approach, you only earn TPs based on flying. Personally I think that seems appropriate for a frequent flyer program.
I am only suggesting this for the period that the airline itself appears to, um, not be flying frequently ...
Swadbus likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

BAEC is very much a bums on seats approach
It is, but this seems to be the BA approach at the moment :-

Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If the flight is cancelled you can have a refund or rebook as normal, or under the Pucci Policy you can now choose to instead get the TPs and avios. I can't see any argument for getting both, it would appear to be taking the p*** if you did.
I think it would be BA taking the p*** saying that if you get TPs when your flight is cancelled, you are not getting your money back! In fact I suspect that a court would likely agree! (the idea being that you are offered to get much less than what you bought for the price you paid for a lot more!)...

It's a bit like saying that you bought a hotel room with dinner and breakfast and if the hotel can't provide the room when you arrive in the evening, they say that you can still have the dinner if you want, but then you won't get the room rate refunded!

PS: the current situation is that if BA can't fly you on the same day, they should allow a rebooking on an other airline, and will then still give your TPs and avios through ORC. I'm assuming that the question is only about what happens when even other airlines are not an option as otherwise, the other airline route on the same day should take care of most situations when BA can't suitably accommodate on themselves or partners.
oxtailsoup and londonba2014 like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 1, 2022 at 7:08 am
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by abligh
I am only suggesting this for the period that the airline itself appears to, um, not be flying frequently ...
Of course I accept there are temporary issues, and I have had plenty of cancellations recently too, but there are plenty of flights atm and I am still managing to fly frequently.

Also this doesn't even take in to account that many people can and do earn TPs from other airlines - you can earn status without ever setting foot on a BA aircraft and facing the BA/LHR problems atm.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Also this doesn't even take in to account that many people can and do earn TPs from other airlines - you can earn status without ever setting foot on a BA aircraft and facing the BA/LHR problems atm.
From ZRH - a reasonable airport - I think I have the option of PHL (AA), MAD (IB), HEL (AY) or DOH (QA); and that's assuming they are all flying. I guess I should just be a bit braver when I'm trying to get to LHR/LCY, JFK and SFO!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:12 am

I think it would be BA taking the p*** saying that if you get TPs when your flight is cancelled, you are not getting your money back! In fact I suspect that a court would likely agree! (the idea being that you are offered to get much less than what you bought for the price you paid for a lot more!)...
No, it would be your choice. If TPs and avios are so important to you then you can still have them for a flight you are not taking, but you can't also have a full refund.

I am taking on board Pucci suggestion here. I personally don't agree and I don't think you should get any aspect of the flight if it is cancelled and you opt for a full refund.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Talking

Yep agree that one's gotta pay for what one wants / needs re status. And it is expensive out there even in Y. . Only a lowly Gold but have managed to scrape together just enough TPs travelling back and forth to Mel in Y since covid killed the cheap ex Eu QR flights and sensible/competitive BA J pricing and First A class upgrade availability particularly out of Prg in my case. But OW Emerald status is a must for quite a few practical reasons when down the back, particularly when travelling with QR who almost go out of their way to be especially nice to you, much to the amusement of some seat neighbours who think you are some one special! (data point new Gold lounge in Doha for Emeralds in Y is by gate A1 in case you were wondering - took me a while to find it). So I have just booked a cheap rtn flight to Jersey in a few weeks, with Mrs very OF ( shes 91.5 so wish me luck) just to meet the 4 BA flight requirement this year as I am 2 short. Sadly 2 extended (multiple times) upgrade vouchers about to expire in a a few weeks so 3500 TPs earnt back in the day for nowt as no TIA fares about on my preferred routes, in the forseable future. So for me and for now RIP J & F But I will get therapy and I will overcome ......
OF
becks1 and Radiation Station like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No, it would be your choice.
In my example too, it is "your choice" - you have been inconvenienced by a hotel cancellation that is none of your fault, and now the hotel gives you a "choice" that you can get your refund, or you can have the dinner which represented a very small part of what you purchased as you are exhausted by now, need to eat, and there may not be any other food anywhere nearby - but then you forfeit your refund.

In other words, in both cases, the airline/hotel profits by their own fault and how it inconveniences you.

To me, that is exactly what consumer regulation protects citizens against, and in this particular case, I maintain that courts would overrule any such "free choice" arrangement based on EC261/2004 // UK261. In other words, to me, within the current system, a choice of full refund, rebooking at the earliest opportunity, or rebooking on another date is a non-negotiable given. Airlines can offer miles, TPs, or whatever they want on top of that, but if they try to make such offer subject to passengers renouncing their regulatory rights, and especially where it can be demonstrated - as is the case here - that the airline is leaving the passenger worse off than initially contracted as a result, I think courts will have some interesting things to say and with good reason.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:14 am

To me, that is exactly what consumer regulation protects citizens against, and in this particular case, I maintain that courts would overrule any such "free choice" arrangement based on EC261/2004 // UK261. In other words, to me, within the current system, a choice of full refund, rebooking at the earliest opportunity, or rebooking on another date is a non-negotiable given. Airlines can offer miles, TPs, or whatever they want on top of that, but if they try to make such offer subject to passengers renouncing their regulatory rights, and especially where it can be demonstrated - as is the case here - that the airline is leaving the passenger worse off than initially contracted as a result, I think courts will have some interesting things to say and with good reason.
Ah, well if that's your reasoning then the whole idea of still getting certain aspects of the flight even when you choose to get a full refund is not going to happen. Sorry Pucci
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Interestingly, BA obviously has a view on this and their latest interim results presentation makes it clear they are aware that business travel remains below norms but that overall premium travel is above historic levels.

They seem to be content with the situation that business travellers will move down frequent flier tiers and leisure travellers will move up (vv the ‘bucket and spade GGL thread’). My own opinion is that the situation is temporary and that a large proportion of the money saved from not doing much or going anywhere over lockdown is now gone and the ‘cost of living crisis’ will shortly make its mark on holiday bookings.
Kgmm77 and sondra_finchley like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:25 am

Ah, well if that's your reasoning then the whole idea of still getting certain aspects of the flight even when you choose to get a full refund is not going to happen. Sorry Pucci
It is. And I am even meaner than that: whatever an airline wants to offer (or not) will not invalidate duty of care or compensation due if the cancellation takes place less than 2 weeks before for a motive not considered exceptional circumstances. You can offer what you want, or indeed nothing at all, but not as a way to try and supersede/exonerate yourself from regulatory obligations.

Now if BA want to create a voodoo doll to my image, that's fine by me
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's not going to happen anyway. The group of customers wanting tier points without flying is going to be very small. BA's target market is presumably now premium leisure flyers and business flyers, both of which groups will require refunds if not travelling. The group of dedicated status seekers is small and if we're perfectly honest not very lucrative.

The idea of a top up payment for "close but no cigar" members is used for some US airlines, but £2 per TP is cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid. It would be likely at least double that. The idea would be to hoover up people who hadn't quite earned what they needed, small numbers of 100 points.

Imaginary BAEC enhancements generate a lot of smoke and heat, but never really amount to very much.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
BUT if they cancel, and you cannot accept the alternative, you should get the Tier Points missed.
If that were the case then a "Which flights have a high chance of being cancelled?' thread would soon appear.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by nivsy
And yet they won't extend status beyond end of Dec 22? Oh dear!
The double tier points on holidays, reduced thresholds and extensions have gone on long enough. There are many golds and silvers who wouldn’t hold the status if it wasn’t for these initiatives.
imkevinmc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.