Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA
I flew Ryanair on an Italian domestic flight in June and I was very impressed, rigorous enforcement of hand baggage rules, loads of space in overhead lockers as people put small items under their seat. Even though I live much nearer LHR than STN I would seriously consider Ryanair over BA next time in to where I normally go in Italy if the price is fairly matched as the journey at the other end is half the journey compared to where BA fly to nearby.
TPJ likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Because they serve the cheapest crap that DoCo will let them stick their name on maybe?
maybe? Doesn't sound very definitive to me. But, YMMV. 😉
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jean2019
They could free up some seats quite easily by simply offering leisure travellers who have reservations for flights in August the option to delay their travel by simply offering to extend Amex 241 vouchers expiring soon or a flexible forward voucher that could be redeemed later.

They could then sell the seats to the more needy business or leisure travellers that are vacated and make some decent cash and I’m bewildered why this hasn’t been tried.
Why would a "leisure" traveller even contemplate this if they've already got confirmed seats?
orbitmic and TPJ like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have seats already on flights in August, and even as a non-needy leisure traveller I am not moving
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They could then sell the seats to the more needy business or leisure travellers that are vacated and make some decent cash and I’m bewildered why this hasn’t been tried.
Since BA is a global logistics company, I'm even more surprised that they haven't moved staff and equipment to other airports which are less busy.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Why would a "leisure" traveller even contemplate this if they've already got confirmed seats?
Because they don’t fancy the uncertainty and LHR shambles and might be older and more Covid-cautious and would on balance be happier to simply delay their travel until it’s a bit easier.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:17 am

Because they don’t fancy the uncertainty and LHR shambles and might be older and more Covid-cautious and would on balance be happier to simply delay their travel until it’s a bit easier.
But are they more likely to have hotel and hire car reservations that may not be refundable?
And weather at the destination comes into play...
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by deep_south
But are they more likely to have hotel and hire car reservations that may not be refundable?
And weather at the destination comes into play...
Well, I’m not going to generalise about others but we have Avios and 241 flight bookings and hotel points bookings so have no risks, but have been unable to find sensibly priced and inclusive insurance. So have cancelled the hotels and leaving cancelling the flights until T-24 in case BA cancels it. The flights were booked some time back to simply make use of the older rules Amex 241 for club on a routine trip we have been doing three or four times a year until Covid.

Almost everyone we know are delaying their leisure travel until they feel safer and the travel is less stressful.
mac123 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Link to the article in post #125
Ah, thanks - the image in the post after that took up most of the screen on my phone and messed with the scrolling so I missed that.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Since BA is a global logistics company, I'm even more surprised that they haven't moved staff and equipment to other airports which are less busy.
I'm not sure everyone will get your sense of humour, but at any rate, I found that very funny!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:13 am

Purely speculation of course but if BA were to suspend the sale of long haul tickets for the next few weeks would you say this opens the door to some nice upgrade opportunities for those with existing bookings? Or would BA push the price up to recoup any potential lost revenue?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:15 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Do you mean like moving some flights to STN/LTN/LGW? Or somewhere else like MAN/BHX?

I think all these airports are pretty much full (maybe apart from BHX?) and moving equipment and employees is a huge challenge. For example: is there Do&Co at LTN? If not do they have enough drivers to drive the catering trucks from LHR to LTN? Would LHR security clearance for the drivers work at LTN? This is just the first thing that came to my mind, but (while I am not an expert) I guess the number of these possible challenges make the whole idea not really feasible.

I believe this summer the only more-or-less efficient airports in Europe are ZRH/VIE/WAW/IST.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Well, I’m not going to generalise about others but we have Avios and 241 flight bookings and hotel points bookings so have no risks, but have been unable to find sensibly priced and inclusive insurance. So have cancelled the hotels and leaving cancelling the flights until T-24 in case BA cancels it. The flights were booked some time back to simply make use of the older rules Amex 241 for club on a routine trip we have been doing three or four times a year until Covid.

Almost everyone we know are delaying their leisure travel until they feel safer and the travel is less stressful.
Not wishing to generalise either, but almost everyone I know is travelling as much as pre 2020 or even more so, due to missed opportunities for 2 years. Carpe diem etc.
binman and kingstontoon like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sjc2679
Not wishing to generalise either, but almost everyone I know is travelling as much as pre 2020 or even more so, due to missed opportunities for 2 years. Carpe diem etc.
Yes, I was responding to an earlier post that said “why would anyone even contemplate” not travelling. Everyone’s situation is different. And we’re certainly carping our diems.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Has there been any official announcement about when the restrictions are up until? The media is talking about "rest of the the summer", but is that the school holidays, or the S21 schedule?
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.