Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- Heathrow down one runway on Friday 15 July, big delays building up.
Heathrow had repair work by one of the runways over-running and this led to it's closure until just after 08:00. This has led to long hold times and diversions

- Summer heatwave coming
Forecast of 39c temperatures at LHR on Tuesday

- HAL has asked BA and other airlines to cancel flights
Airlines, the government and the CAA are pushing back on this.
Wow, just when I thought things couldn't get any worse...

I have a transit through LHR on Sunday LUX-LHR-ORD, rebooked from Monday when the 1x LUX-LHR flight cancelled... Really hoping neither of my flights will be affected.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:46 am

Only 2/6 of the DUB-LHR BA flights operating today. Not sure if EI will have the capacity to take all those extra passengers
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Only 2/6 of the DUB-LHR BA flights operating today. Not sure if EI will have the capacity to take all those extra passengers
DUB-LON looks okay today - EI selling seats (at a price) on most services ... LON-DUB on the other hand looks like a disaster .. no seats at all at any price until Saturday afternoon on EI (Gatwick) or Sat Evening from Heathrow
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Midday update

Not as bad as I thought really but there are some new cancellations announced this morning. For those departing LHR I know about these six:

BA566 Malpensa
BA1334 Newcastle
BA2610 Naples
BA2774 Jersey
BA464 Madrid
BA608 Olbia

Now there were plenty of services cancelled in recent weeks, the totals at midday being

BA services originally planned to depart today = 381

BA services cancelled 111 (pre-planned)
BA services cancelled today 6
Percent services cancelled 31%

BA operating services 264
Delayed departures so far today 26
Expected to be delayed later today 49
Percent delayed or expected to be delayed 28%

And delay means more than 15 minutes late compared to scheduled departure time.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 15, 2022 at 6:04 am Reason: corrected stats
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
I’ve been rebooked onto the 17.40 PMI-LHR today -after the 20.20 was cancelled.

I have no seat number and cannot check in/or select a seat in CE in the app. Should I be getting worried? Does this mean I am not guaranteed a seat? The booking has a ticket number.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by noFODplease
I’ve been rebooked onto the 17.40 PMI-LHR today -after the 20.20 was cancelled.

I have no seat number and cannot check in/or select a seat in CE in the app. Should I be getting worried? Does this mean I am not guaranteed a seat? The booking has a ticket number.
There are two blocked seats in CE, also there are untaken seats in ET. So I think you will be OK, since if all else fails they could remove some of the middle seat blocks in order to get people home. I've a feeling you willl be OK, even it's not the sort of return home that you were planning.
wrp96 and noFODplease like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I like this, it's like FT's very own 24 hour rolling news channel.

Would it be a fair assumption that short-haul cancellations are perhaps more likely than long-haul with extreme weather, as they have been recently with all the ongoing issues? Parents are flying back from JNB on Monday.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richiejv
Would it be a fair assumption that short-haul cancellations are perhaps more likely than long-haul with extreme weather, as they have been recently with all the ongoing issues? Parents are flying back from JNB on Monday.
Yes, normally domestics go first, then easy to replace services in Europe such as ZRH and FRA. Cancelling longhaul has implications for BA staff returning from stops overseas, and with the new crew arrangements, that then can impact shorthaul thereafter too. Plus all the on-carriage passengers. So MAN is at one end, JFK at the other end of the spectrum of cancellation.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: British Airways
I am currently flying LHR to DFW on Tuesday 19th on BA193 (a380) at 13:05.

I was thinking even with all the current issues at LHR, this being T5, Long haul A380 flight, chances of cancelation were very low.

However, what do people think the chances are of it being cancelled due to the heatwave coming Monday/Tuesday?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Poster

I've been speculating about this offline, and it is just speculation. The potential issue I could see for Tuesday is that if the temperature does get to 40c - a record - then one could hardly expect the depleted ramp workforce to go at full speed, and nor would anyone want that. Ditto the technical staff at the hangars. So I think there is a high risk of delays. And A380s unfortunately seem to be unreliable in any weather at the moment after they were sent to WFH in the desert during that pandemic thing.

If it was me, and I really wouldn't mind moving to Wednesday (usually a quiet day) I would certainly be tempted, but really it's difficult to read the runes at this point.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are two blocked seats in CE, also there are untaken seats in ET. So I think you will be OK, since if all else fails they could remove some of the middle seat blocks in order to get people home. I've a feeling you willl be OK, even it's not the sort of return home that you were planning.
Thanks for this! I am in the lounge on a standby boarding pass. The agent could see the seats but they were blocked to her and back office was going to call BA. I was told I’ll get my seat at the gate. Sigh. Not exactly relaxing.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Does anyone have the code/reason why BA2786 LGW-BOD on 16/07 was cancelled at 16:45 on 14/07 please?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Does anyone have the code/reason why BA2786 LGW-BOD on 16/07 was cancelled at 16:45 on 14/07 please?
See below

DOBA2786/16JUL
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA2786 1 SA 16JUL22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 1026
INDN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA2786 1 SA 16JUL22
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LGW 0640 SA JCDRIUFAZ/M Y/G 320 1:45
BHKMLVNOQSG/G
XWETP/G
BOD 0925 SA 1:45
COMMENTS-
1.LGW BOD - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LGW BOD - DEPARTS TERMINAL S
3.LGW BOD - ARRIVES TERMINAL A
4.LGW BOD - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.LGW BOD - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.LGW BOD - CO2/PAX* 88.59 KG ECO, 88.59 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
320 C 16 M 156
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Isn't ZO a temporary code until the real reason gets added?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cameramaker
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
See below
And that INDN suggests Industrial Action and no compensation. Sometimes they have used that code to mean the airport has shut up shop, so GAL in this case. I can see some old strikes listed here for BOD but nothing that sounds lined up for demain.

https://www.cestlagreve.fr/
alex67500 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.