Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by fatesandfuries
Can’t quite believe I’m going from one disaster (SAS pilot strike) to another (Heathrow). We were just rebooked to fly back to LAX (CPH-LHR, LHR-LAX) on Wednesday and now I’m terrified given there’s only 1.5 hours between the flights.

Any tips? Both flights are in T5 and we are flying J, but have a toddler in tow. have to check bags but we can check the ones we would normally gate check in advance.
if it’s a through ticket then check in CPH all the bags to LAX. I would not recommend to gate check bags as there would be high chance that those will not make it to LAX. Otherwise 1.5 hours is enough even with a baby. What you need to check if there is any arrivals delay and how long. The minimum time to go through security is 35 min. So if the delay is 1 hours or longer then most likely your BP will not work and you need to sort it out at flight connections. Best to install the BA App and make sure you have the flight details in the app as if your arrivals is late most of the time you get rebooked to the next available service. Could be BA, could be AA. Don’t forget that now AA operates at T3 so if you can use the BA app and you can checkin and get the new boarding pass then you won’t need to queue just go to T3. If it’s BA then it will be T5. I wouldn’t worry should be all fine.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by KARFA
LTN runway closed until 7.30pm
BBC News now stating some departures have started but not yet open for arrivals.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Krisz
if it’s a through ticket then check in CPH all the bags to LAX. I would not recommend to gate check bags as there would be high chance that those will not make it to LAX. Otherwise 1.5 hours is enough even with a baby. What you need to check if there is any arrivals delay and how long. The minimum time to go through security is 35 min. So if the delay is 1 hours or longer then most likely your BP will not work and you need to sort it out at flight connections. Best to install the BA App and make sure you have the flight details in the app as if your arrivals is late most of the time you get rebooked to the next available service. Could be BA, could be AA. Don’t forget that now AA operates at T3 so if you can use the BA app and you can checkin and get the new boarding pass then you won’t need to queue just go to T3. If it’s BA then it will be T5. I wouldn’t worry should be all fine.
super helpful, thank you so much.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Meltdown Monday evening report (and I'm guessing the newspapers tomorrow will have it as Torrid Tuesday)

I made a mistake on the figures in the AM report, it's "only" 115 cancelled, not 165. And that was the end result too, no additional cancellations on the day and it looks like 238 services will run today.

- 5 flights ran early
- 49 were on time (no more than 15 minutes late)
- 9 late flights could be on time, the SYD flight looks like being 45 minutes late.
- There is a Tirana flight BA2648 which has clearly gone badly wrong and we heard from one passenger on it upthread. It's showing as 21:35 but with no gate allocated, so that's not looking good.
- 175 flights delayed as things stand, the worst day recently, with 74% of flights more than 15 minutes late.
- of those 175, the average delay was 52 minutes, the median delay was 41 minutes.

Delays over 2 hours

BA0277 LHRHYD 15:00 17:13 02:13
BA0213 LHRBOS 11:15 13:30 02:15
BA0908 LHRFRA 14:00 16:41 02:41
BA0219 LHRDEN 14:45 17:37 02:52
BA2648 LHRTIA 14:30 21:35 07:05 (still not departed)

Edit: the TIA service finally left at 22:23, so just under 8 hours late.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 18, 2022 at 3:57 pm
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by alex67500
I've heard from a friend (orange airline pilot) that LTN are closing their runway due to the heat.

I hope it doesn't spread because that would be a meltdown beyond belief...
Makes me wonder how airports operate in Southern European countries.
endoman and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
BA2649 ended up getting in the air at 10:23 PM. Delayed a little under eight hours for a 2:21 AM arrival in Tirana.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by oruvin
If the hot weather happens frequently, it's cost-effective to deal with it. With the UK news going crazy around the temperatures I'll forgive Luton for not spending the money for such a rare event., Of course, if it becomes more common then I suspect money will need to be spent. Or at least learn than when the temperature is predicted to be over a certain amount, to proactively relocate fights to another airport rather than shut down with no warning.

I remember when Zurich airport cancelled loads of flights a few years ago due to excessive snow. In Switzerland. So it happens everywhere (well, the UK and Switzerland at least )
wrp96, alex67500 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Pods parking using Pods for the transfer again with pods waiting at both ends. Car park was busy, but few people around at 6:30. T5 operating well this morning. Zones B and C have no queues, zones D+ have some queues but nothing that would cause too long a delay. Lots of people sat at the back who have taken the precaution of arriving early to be told you cannot check in yet.

First wing almost empty. No queue to enter, to pass boarding pass check and straight to a security position. First lounge at less than 50% capacity. Haven't seen it this empty for a long time.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Tuesday morning update

Originally scheduled BA prime departures from LHR, no services held overnight = 349 flights
Cancelled in advance = 110
Operating services = 248, compared to 238 yesterday

Pre-cancelled includes 3 services for ABZ, BHD, GVA, JER, MUC, MXP, NCL,
4 services BER, CDG, DUB, FCO
5 services EDI, GLA,

Longhauls cancelled are
BA0055 LHRJNB Heathrow (LHR) to Johannesburg (JNB) Terminal 5 19:05
BA0081 LHRACC Heathrow (LHR) to Accra (ACC) Terminal 3 14:00
BA0093 LHRYYZ Heathrow (LHR) to Toronto (YYZ) Terminal 5 13:10
BA0109 LHRDXB Heathrow (LHR) to Dubai (DXB) Terminal 5 21:15
BA0115 LHRJFK Heathrow (LHR) to John F Kennedy (JFK) Terminal 5 14:35
BA0125 LHRBAH Heathrow (LHR) to Bahrain (BAH) Terminal 5 12:30
BA0179 LHRJFK Heathrow (LHR) to John F Kennedy (JFK) Terminal 5 18:05
BA0203 LHRBOS Heathrow (LHR) to Boston (BOS) Terminal 5 17:05
BA0217 LHRIAD Heathrow (LHR) to Dulles (IAD) Terminal 5 11:15
BA0227 LHRATL Heathrow (LHR) to Hartsfield-Jackson Int (ATL) Terminal 5 16:00
BA0297 LHRORD Heathrow (LHR) to O'Hare (ORD) Terminal 5 15:25

I can see there will be plenty of delays today, the 2 biggest are
BA293 IAD - 17:10 to 18:40, 90 minute delay
BA828 VCE 08:25 to 12:16, 211 minute delay (presumably technical issue).
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Short on the ground staff today at LCY so brief wait for someone to accompany us from steps to terminal at 10:25am but it didn’t take more than five minutes for them to turn up
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
If the hot weather happens frequently, it's cost-effective to deal with it. With the UK news going crazy around the temperatures I'll forgive Luton for not spending the money for such a rare event., Of course, if it becomes more common then I suspect money will need to be spent.
I wouldn’t count on it given the reluctance to spend money to build resilience across the system over many years (not just by BA).
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: Some
Heathrow just recorded the UK's first ever above 40 degree temperature reading - hopefully the silence in this thread is a good sign that operationally things are not going too badly despite this, for once!
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:08 am

Heathrow reporting 40.2°C a short time ago, per the Met Office. Perhaps a good day to explore the T5 tunnels for some cooler air!

Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I’d love to know the technical info on how much extra thrust they are having to use ATM!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by oruvin
Would be interested in any views from the ATC regulars on here with regards to hot weather operations but would expect given the impact on a/c performance (take-off distances, climb rates, etc.) there are some restrictions being applied that would be factored in as ordinary-course in Southern Europe. And with respect to Luton, though I'm not familiar with the specific situation and type of surface damage, prevalence of various polymer binding agents in asphalt in Southern Europe is much more commonplace than in the UK.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.