Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by salut0
That’s weird. We got this email yesterday before our LHR-GLA flight tonight:in

Thanks for choosing to fly with us. As your flight tomorrow is busy, we'd like to invite you to check-in your hand baggage free of charge. You can do this at any Bag Drop desk beforesecurity. You can check your baggage allowance at ba.com. Make sure you keep essential items with you. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at Heathrow Terminal 5.”
That's a standard email that goes out when a service is of a particular combination of HBO passengers, total load and aircraft type. There isn't a perfect answer here, in that there is a maximum cabin capacity and yet baggage handling is greatly stretched. If refurning home and you have relatively low value items then maybe delayed baggage doesn't matter so much, so these travellers should be encouraged to check bags even though the risk of delayed baggage is quite real at the moment.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
Originally Posted by ATLCDG
I am arriving at T5 from BSL around 8:30am connecting to a US flight with plenty of time. Has anyone seen what First Wing looks like this am? I am wondering if it is best to exit to the Terminal and do First Wing entry rather than go straight through security upon arrival. Tks.
So I went out and back though First Wing with only 1 other going through security. Flight from BSL was an hour late due to the check-in system being down. T5 seems pretty calm today.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: BA, HH, IHG, RR, AA, KF, EG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Sunday's AM report

Scheduled for today originally = 339, so 10 more than Saturday
No flights held overnight
Cancelled in advance = 96
Operating services = 243, Saturday was 244

Pre cancelled includes 3 flights for ABZ, BCN, BHD, CDG, CPH, MXP and ZRH. 4 flights to JER and MUC, 5 flights to NCE.
longhauls cancelled are ABV, BAH, DXB, EWR, IAH, JFK, JNB, SEA. SFO.

So far today more services have departed early than late.
Hey C-W-S. What was the reason for the SFO cancelllation please?

I’m keeping a keen eye on the BA285 as due to be on it early Aug, so have been watching it every day for the past week or so.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
That's a standard email that goes out when a service is of a particular combination of HBO passengers, total load and aircraft type. There isn't a perfect answer here, in that there is a maximum cabin capacity and yet baggage handling is greatly stretched. If refurning home and you have relatively low value items then maybe delayed baggage doesn't matter so much, so these travellers should be encouraged to check bags even though the risk of delayed baggage is quite real at the moment.
I am also guessing that gate checking bags involves a certain amount of manual handling, whereas taking them at T5 check-in is largely automated.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scottpat78
Hey C-W-S. What was the reason for the SFO cancelllation please?

I’m keeping a keen eye on the BA285 as due to be on it early Aug, so have been watching it every day for the past week or so.
I don't know for certain, but I would be reasonably confident that this was removed as part of either BA's cull of services from May onwards when it became clear BA didn't have enough resources; or more recently in response to HAL's requirement to reduce flights below a certain level. So both reasons would be the outcome of insufficient staff to run the full service. Generally speaking passengers on cancelled services can be reaccommodated on other BA still operating, or on AA services in the case of USA.
scottpat78 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
I am also guessing that gate checking bags involves a certain amount of manual handling, whereas taking them at T5 check-in is largely automated.
Over the next few days this will be very important and the advice should arguably be different from usual. If bags are checked in beforehand, they will be loaded into bins in the laterals, which are (relatively) well sheltered from the outside conditions. Loading AKHs onto aircraft is a fairly quick outdoor job as long as the equipment is all in place. Whereas gate checked bags are loaded directly on the ramp at most stands, which means loading staff have to spend longer outside in the direct sun and heat. The latter is clearly riskier at the moment, and is more likely to lead to delays. So unless the flight is likely to be lightly enough loaded that all bags will fit into lockers(!!) I would also be recommending full check-in right now. Most bags do make their flights.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: BA, HH, IHG, RR, AA, KF, EG
Thanks for the reply. It’s been consistently late all week but I did notice it has a couple of days with no flight as part of the schedule. Need to get to this Weds then I’m only 14 days out, and hope to relax a little better about it.

Agree that in the worst case, I should be able to get onto another flight even with AA. I can go indirect if needed to, as this is a holiday and usual work time pressures don’t apply.

I don't know for certain, but I would be reasonably confident that this was removed as part of either BA's cull of services from May onwards when it became clear BA didn't have enough resources; or more recently in response to HAL's requirement to reduce flights below a certain level. So both reasons would be the outcome of insufficient staff to run the full service. Generally speaking passengers on cancelled services can be reaccommodated on other BA still operating, or on AA services in the case of USA.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just saw the A380 fly overhead for DFW almost on time, things must be going well today
wrp96 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:44 am

Big queues at fast track security north right now. Normal security looks quicker.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:08 pm

I went through South security (no longer Silver and in Y, so no fast track) at 17:30 and it took half an hour. Only one lane open but as efficient and friendly as could be, considering.

Flight to BSL this evening seems to be on schedule.

Edit: Flight was on schedule, passport and luggage came out very quickly in BSL. Great flight.

Last edited by adrianlondon; Jul 17, 2022 at 4:46 pm
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
BA from TER parked at B gates this eve , 1 hour 10 mins late due to technical issue with outbound plane

No queue at passport gates ; Luggage in 10 mins

Uber and away!

Whats going on ;,T5 so quiet!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Whats going on ;,T5 so quiet!
I must admit I'm surprised at how few bad tales we are getting, there again if you knock out a third of your schedule then life should be rather easy. What is interesting there is that it was Sunday afternoons and evenings that BA's ground crew were short staffed a few months ago, and that seems to have now been resolved.

I assume you returned to Blighty for a bit of sunshine? Let's see how things go tomorrow and Tueday.
wrp96 and allturnleft like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:50 pm

I have to say, came up from sunny NQY today , despite leaving late we landed on time, taxied straight onto a domestic stand, jetty on and bags were off in no time.
T5 seemed eerily calm tonight which was very surprising, even departures was an oasis of calm when I popped up there to get something from a shop. That was around 1800

it was very hot around LHR today though and is forecasted to be hotter tomorrow so we shall see. Just feel for the ramp staff.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Here is an unpdate for 21:00 hrs today.
- No extra cancellations on the day
- All 243 services ran or look to run, nothing held overnoght
- 135 services delayed beyond 15 minutes - worse than Saturday
- So 56% of flights are going to be late today, or thereabouts.
- Of those delayed, the average was 40 minutes, the median was 28 minutes.

Worst delays

BA0123 LHRDOH 12:30 14:50 02:20
BA0075 LHRLOS 11:20 14:25 03:05
BA0219 LHRDEN 14:55 18:26 03:31
BA0213 LHRBOS 11:15 15:00 03:45

And there is the late BOS flight, BA239 scheduled for 20:05 and delayed to 21:45 currently.
Ned1968 and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Meltdown Monday's AM report

Scheduled for today originally = 353
No flights held overnight
Cancelled in advance = 115
Operating services = 238, Friday was 264, Saturday 244, Sunday 243

I did pick up some cancellations were made a few days ago, either way this is a very quiet operation today, on paper, half the original plan. Places with 3 cancellations: ABZ, BHD, CDG, CPH, DUB, GLA, GVA, JER, MAN, NCL, PRG,
4 cancellations: AMS, BCN, EDI, ZRH
5 cancellations: NCE
Pre cancelled longhauls
BA0049 LHRSEA Heathrow (LHR) to Seattle (SEA) Terminal 5 15:30
BA0055 LHRJNB Heathrow (LHR) to Johannesburg (JNB) Terminal 5 19:05
BA0083 LHRABV Heathrow (LHR) to Abuja (ABV) Terminal 5 22:25
BA0109 LHRDXB Heathrow (LHR) to Dubai (DXB) Terminal 5 21:15
BA0115 LHRJFK Heathrow (LHR) to John F Kennedy (JFK) Terminal 5 14:35
BA0157 LHRKWI Heathrow (LHR) to Kuwait (KWI) Terminal 5 22:00
BA0179 LHRJFK Heathrow (LHR) to John F Kennedy (JFK) Terminal 5 18:05
BA0189 LHREWR Heathrow (LHR) to Newark (EWR) Terminal 5 16:45
BA0203 LHRBOS Heathrow (LHR) to Boston (BOS) Terminal 5 17:05
BA0285 LHRSFO Heathrow (LHR) to San Francisco International (SFO) Terminal 5 11:10

A few days, the biggest seems to be BA175 to Kennedy, which was 09:40 and is heading to 11:00 hrs

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 18, 2022 at 2:20 pm Reason: corrected data

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.