Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 1:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Can I help you
This is a check that the IFM must do before every departure, it should also be check by the TRM.
Originally Posted by krispy84
We’d need to know what the procedure is for checking if water loaded or not.

Let’s be very clear, lack of water in the tanks is not a flight safety issue.
The point is, what else wasn't checked that should have been?
mnhusker likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Sorry, I’m just trying to understand.
Me too. I'd hope the pilots were aware their weight calculations were awry, and they were well over a tonne light before they left the gate.

If that reasoning holds, the decision on whether or not to fly to Singapore with empty water tanks must have taken place while the plane was on the ground at Heathrow. Siri is silent on how long it takes to fill those tanks: but if the flight could wait for crew duvets to be delivered, maybe the water-fill operation would have sent crew hours over the line or breached the airport's curfew.

Let's hope that sanctioning the omission of an expensive, but what appears to be a non-essential, element of onboard equipment doesn't excite BA's bean counters too much.
adrianlondon and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Not the first time we’ve had a thread about a SIN flight going without water, though in the below case over 5 years ago it was SIN-LHR. I think the water was onboard and it was the water system which failed somehow.

Everyone off BA12 tonight [SIN-LHR, 23 Sep]

After several pages of discussion, the captain (assuming they actually were the captain, but no reason to believe otherwise) posted on the thread, mainly to confirm the decision to fly was theirs alone and wasn’t made to avoid paying EC261 compensation...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27257060-post98.html
Old May 7, 2022, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by J S
The plane carries a ton of water (an actual ton: ~2,241 pounds). Presumably that factors into weight and balance.
Originally Posted by T8191
Indeed … the load and trim calculations for take-off and the rest of the trip. I’m amazed the Captain made the decision to proceed, unless other factors were in play. How long would it take to fill the water tanks?
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'd hope the pilots were aware their weight calculations were awry, and they were well over a tonne light before they left the gate.
I'd be interested to hear from pilots whether a tonne would make any significant difference to the weights/speed/trim calculations.

The self-loading cargo isn't weighed, nor is the cargo that they schlep on board themselves, and the airline uses educated guesswork for this part of the payload. The 787-9 may have about 230 occupants when full. An average 5 kg error per person would be well over a tonne, yet there seems to be no hysteria about this possibility, which is simply just a known unknown.

In addition, does the 787-9 have stuff to help with trim once airborne, like shifting fuel about?

If the aircraft did depart without this being noticed, then it's pretty poor. And once airborne, the crew have to go through the same decision-making process about whether to live with a non-critical problem or to inflict a 24-hour delay on all the passengers as if the system had just broken down (as in other cases). But if it isn't a safety-of-flight issue, let's not go overboard about that.

And if you really want a genuinely toe-curling example of (many) things that should have been checked, but weren't, before the aircraft got airborne, try the ATSB's website for the recent report on 9M-MTK at BNE. If you don't want to be scared, don't read it.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:39 am

Indeed … the load and trim calculations for take-off and the rest of the trip. I’m amazed the Captain made the decision to proceed, unless other factors were in play. How long would it take to fill the water tanks?
years ago on a flight to Orlando an issue arose and the Captain told us he was speaking to the ‘company’ as to wether to continue or return - we went back , would assume here the Captain was told to continue
Old May 7, 2022, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
This is completely unacceptable, and worthy of an email to Sean.
scoonee likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Originally Posted by Genius1
This is completely unacceptable, and worthy of an email to Sean.
I cant see it getting anywhere, except the boilerplate apology. The IC in SIN is a good as I remember it but the weather is bad!
Old May 7, 2022, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'd be interested to hear from pilots whether a tonne would make any significant difference to the weights/speed/trim calculations.

The self-loading cargo isn't weighed, nor is the cargo that they schlep on board themselves, and the airline uses educated guesswork for this part of the payload. The 787-9 may have about 230 occupants when full. An average 5 kg error per person would be well over a tonne, yet there seems to be no hysteria about this possibility, which is simply just a known unknown.

In addition, does the 787-9 have stuff to help with trim once airborne, like shifting fuel about?

If the aircraft did depart without this being noticed, then it's pretty poor. And once airborne, the crew have to go through the same decision-making process about whether to live with a non-critical problem or to inflict a 24-hour delay on all the passengers as if the system had just broken down (as in other cases). But if it isn't a safety-of-flight issue, let's not go overboard about that.

Passengers' contribution to the payload is assessed as an average: and as with averages and large numbers, individual discrepancies tend to level out in the wash. Suggesting that because that final tally of passengers might be a little out, other payload miscalculations can be disregarded seems a tad, well, cavalier.

An additional tonne or so of payload is significant. I'm sure it's a manageable unknown, but it's another hole in that Swiss cheese.

It's something pilots would want to know about, expect to know about, before they leave.

In this case i simply hypothesise they did know.

I don't see any hysteria, nothing overboard: maybe a little fig-leaf repositioning in the response though
Old May 7, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
So much wild hysteria about a bit of water when, as mentioned already, there are 200 unweighed lumps of flesh and bones onboard who could each weigh anywhere between 50 and 130kg easily. Put another way, the missing potable water is 0.4% of the estimated take off weight of the aircraft on that day. This flight was some way off "OMG we could have plunged into the Wraysbury Reservoir".
Globaliser likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:03 am

As has been mentioned by IAN-UK there are a lot of fudge factors in load and balance calculations.

We know the empty weight of the aircraft and they are weighed on a regular basis, we also know the weight on the catering and all of its equipment. We know the weight of the cargo and the Mail and all of the baggage. The human beings are total guess work but organisations such as the CAA and the likes of IATA (iirc) do regular sample audits of human traffic weights.
As such we use different assumption for the mass of humanity based on regions of the world in longhaul. USA is more mass or weight per head than the Far East. But is is all still a guess and a fudge.

Given so many variables can change right up to the last minute prior to that last hold or cabin door closing, we base all of our take off performance calculations on an assumed weight based off of a ‘provisional loadsheet’. This complies with all of the regulatory performance requirements and our performance when using take off thrust de-rates and assumed temperature method (or FLEX temp in Airbus terms) thrust reductions, we are inherently safe as we are actually producing more thrust than the performance calculation allows for (the air is denser than what we have told the aircraft it is).

Given these assumptions, and due to the fact that the payload tends to go down rather than up due to late arriving bags/cargo etc, we have a tolerance on the fleet in question of +1000 to -4000KGs allowable difference between the ‘provisional’ figures and the actual or ‘final’ figures. We typically receive those just as we commence the taxi after engine start. From doors closed the turn around manager/coordinator has now been able to input any changes to the planned load and communicate that with load control, who in turn send us the final figures through an acars message. If we don’t get it, we call them up.

With regards to the water…..we don’t typically fill the tank full unless going somewhere that the potable water has failed certain tests. So we are taking about less than 1000 kgs of weight, but a bit more than 500Kgs. Given all the other assumptions we really wouldn’t notice, especially when taking off around the 210 to 220-ish tonne mark for a flight of this length.

The only change that might have occurred would be with aircraft trim, and that is merely adjusting the datum point for the horizontal stab whilst taxiing out and not an uncommon occurrence, and one highlighted through a procedure we follow to ensure data is ‘in compliance’ with this or appropriately replan and recalculate if there are ‘changes to’ the provisional figures outside of allowable tolerances.

Given the state of resourcing with various service partners airport wide, I would be sceptical of stories that the water was simply forgotten. The attendant panel is accessed a good few times pre departure by the IFM/L and various inputs are needed, such as the passenger head count figure. Given there is a TRM/C who needs to update load control with actual figures I have a feeling this was probably more to do with no staff available to service the tanks without incurring a significant and sizeable delay….or that there was a problem with the potable water system once under way.

Last edited by Sigwx; May 13, 2022 at 7:00 am
Old May 7, 2022, 5:58 am

I once did LGW-OAK on a 777-200 that is best described as "knackered." I don't recall any announcement, but the sinks didn't work and some sanitising wipes had been placed there instead. Don't remember if tea/coffee was available though I believe I was more interested in champagne anyway.

I had assumed it was a fault given the state of the plane in general but it could perhaps have been lack of water. Either way, no one was particularly bothered by it as far as I was aware.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Sigwx
or that there was a problem with the potable water system once under way.
Ah, had that last year to ANU!
All the way northwards past all the T5B stands to Taxiway Bravo, at which point we stopped. And stayed stopped. Oh, NOOOO! Eventually Captain Speaking came on the loudspeakers and explained they were trying to rectify a fault with the Potable Water Pump [or something like that] … which happily they succeeded in doing.
Sigwx likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Disgusting, especially in the COVID era. Can't believe this was allowed.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:50 am

Ah, had that last year to ANU!
At least with the 777 you can beat the aircraft into submission with the use of a bigger wrench.

The 787 alas requires a soothsayer with the temperament of a Buddhist monk, blessed with positive juju and the infinite wisdom and ethereal mythical power of sometime who can programme in both python and basic at the same time.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
Overall; this was a fail for BA, but not the disaster implied by some. ps this happens to other airlines.
Can you mention another 12 hour flight where this has happened?
JD1905 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.