FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2078390-ba15-lhr-sin-5th-may-left-empty-water-tanks.html)

Exsilver May 6, 2022 8:31 am

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Arrived in SIN earlier tonight from a flight which had no water on board. The tanks were not filled at LHR, so there was no tea, coffee or water in the toilets. Apparently the crew discussed returning to LHR but decided to continue. I’ll put a full trip report together when I get back.

The _Banking_Scot May 6, 2022 8:41 am

Hi

ouch!

At least you are now in Singapore but the flight was probably not a pleasant experience.

Regards

Tbs

T8191 May 6, 2022 8:45 am

As an ignorant SLF I could almost see that as illegal! Hygiene aspects are first in my mind, disregarding the F&B factor (bottled water assumed still loaded, but …)

stevebintley May 6, 2022 8:48 am

Surely this is minimum ‘equipment’?! I remember a TV documentary where the cabin staff mentioned the coffee making facilities would prevent a aircraft leaving if faulty, but it’s fine for no water?!

Dan72 May 6, 2022 8:50 am

I had this a few times on the 380, where I recall it happened quite a few times. The toilets still worked but the whole no hand washing apart from hand sanitiser made for a less than pleasant experience.

carrotjuice May 6, 2022 8:52 am

For all BA's constant reminder that they prioritise our "health and safety" above all else, no water in the toilets is everything but...

Can I help you May 6, 2022 9:35 am

This is a check that the IFM must do before every departure, it should also be check by the TRM.

DYKWIA May 6, 2022 9:39 am

I remember this on a UA (I think) flight years ago from SFO-LAS. No water, so at the gate they announced a vote as to whether they would fly. It was about 1 hour flight, so it was 100% "go for it". :)

Duck1981 May 6, 2022 9:48 am

I am actually just scratching my head, do the toilets actually using a bit of water when flushing or is it just a pure vacuum play? Quite sure I flushed hundreds of them but now as I think about it, I am not sure how they work...

My guess is it's vacuum only as otherwise I wouldn't imagine a Captain would take off w/o water.

subject2load May 6, 2022 10:01 am

Originally Posted by stevebintley (Post 34226456)
Surely this is minimum ‘equipment’?! I remember a TV documentary where the cabin staff mentioned the coffee making facilities would prevent a aircraft leaving if faulty, but it’s fine for no water?!

Probably safe to apply the same general principle to the average TV documentary as to our newspapers : Best not to believe everything we see in them :cool:

Mind you, a lack of coffee was certainly deemed a very serious issue in Airplane 2

Jackanory May 6, 2022 10:22 am

LHR-SIN is a long flight! To have no hand washing facilities for that length seems like someone made a huge error! I would be interested to know if this was unlawful in some way?

whherron May 6, 2022 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981 (Post 34226646)
I am actually just scratching my head, do the toilets actually using a bit of water when flushing or is it just a pure vacuum play? Quite sure I flushed hundreds of them but now as I think about it, I am not sure how they work...

My guess is it's vacuum only as otherwise I wouldn't imagine a Captain would take off w/o water.

I'm really old and everything, but I thought "blue water" for the toilets was kept in a separate tank. Do modern aircraft use the common water supply for the toilets, too?

Regards, Bill

Can I help you May 6, 2022 10:25 am

Water comes from a common tank, waste water from the sinks is vented out into the atmosphere where as toilet waste is tanked.

Globaliser May 6, 2022 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981 (Post 34226646)
I am actually just scratching my head, do the toilets actually using a bit of water when flushing or is it just a pure vacuum play? Quite sure I flushed hundreds of them but now as I think about it, I am not sure how they work ...

IIRC, they use only a small amount of water to lubricate the surface of the bowl, which is made of Teflon or something like that. The airflow induced by the vacuum is supposed to do the rest.

Maybe your uncertainty is because you also do something that I've seen recommended for flushing aircraft toilets? Put the lid down first, because it reduces any aerosol into the confined space in which you're standing. (On very quiet aircraft, like the A380, it also reduces the noise.)

J S May 6, 2022 11:19 am

How is something like that not noticed when going through checklists? The plane carries a ton of water (an actual ton: ~2,241 pounds). Presumably that factors into weight and balance.

On a 1 hour flight...no big deal. But LHR-SIN is not a one hour flight.