Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The point is, what else wasn't checked that should have been?
I agree. Cutting corners, having work-arounds. The Swiss cheese theory of errors.
Won't have an issue right now, maybe wait a few years til nothing works properly and work-arounds are done all the time. Some significant issue will get missed cause people cannot tell the difference anymore between what "should be" and what "actually" should be.
FlyToTheMoon12345 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'd be interested to hear from pilots whether a tonne would make any significant difference to the weights/speed/trim calculations.

The self-loading cargo isn't weighed, nor is the cargo that they schlep on board themselves, and the airline uses educated guesswork for this part of the payload. The 787-9 may have about 230 occupants when full. An average 5 kg error per person would be well over a tonne, yet there seems to be no hysteria about this possibility, which is simply just a known unknown.

In addition, does the 787-9 have stuff to help with trim once airborne, like shifting fuel about?

If the aircraft did depart without this being noticed, then it's pretty poor. And once airborne, the crew have to go through the same decision-making process about whether to live with a non-critical problem or to inflict a 24-hour delay on all the passengers as if the system had just broken down (as in other cases). But if it isn't a safety-of-flight issue, let's not go overboard about that.

And if you really want a genuinely toe-curling example of (many) things that should have been checked, but weren't, before the aircraft got airborne, try the ATSB's website for the recent report on 9M-MTK at BNE. If you don't want to be scared, don't read it.
7 Tonnes.
A tonne makes little difference to a big aircraft. The B747 which has a self weighing system, the mel permitted departure providing the loadsheet weight agreed with the self weight within + or - 7 tonnes
Globaliser and camdentown like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I agree. Cutting corners, having work-arounds. The Swiss cheese theory of errors.
Won't have an issue right now, maybe wait a few years til nothing works properly and work-arounds are done all the time. Some significant issue will get missed cause people cannot tell the difference anymore between what "should be" and what "actually" should be.
What evidence is there that any corners were cut? Or that something wasn't checked that should have been?
Old May 7, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What evidence is there that any corners were cut? Or that something wasn't checked that should have been?
The water. Nobody checked to see the water was filled? Isn't that the point of the thread?
Old May 7, 2022, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
The water. Nobody checked to see the water was filled? Isn't that the point of the thread?
There’s no evidence of that, just speculation. A BA pilot has suggested an alternative version of possible (probable?) events.

I’m not sure there is a point to the thread, other than just an observation that there was an issue with water.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:35 am

There’s no evidence of that, just speculation. A BA pilot has suggested an alternative version of possible (probable?) events.

I’m not sure there is a point to the thread, other than just an observation that there was an issue with water.
So, the fact is there was no water on the plane for passengers to use.
What is the "alternative version"? I read through the thread, but may have missed it. There was a mention about another flight from SIN to LHR where the water was loaded but the pump didn't work, but that isn't this flight which is LHR to SIN.
Exsilver likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club

I wasn’t speculating that I couldn’t get a cup of tea, or that the crew member showed my wife the water level indicator at zero, or that the IFM made a long and rambling apology on arrival, that there had been no water on board.
SW7London likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
There’s no evidence of that, just speculation.
Of course there is. It's in the very first post: Arrived in SIN earlier tonight from a flight which had no water on board.

I see the people for whom BA can do no wrong are out in force. A 12 hour flight with no water is shocking, no matter how you cut it.
DYKWIA, Exsilver and JD1905 like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by GrannyWeatherwax
Of course there is. It's in the very first post: Arrived in SIN earlier tonight from a flight which had no water on board.

I see the people for whom BA can do no wrong are out in force. A 12 hour flight with no water is shocking, no matter how you cut it.
GrannyWeatherwax welcome to FlyerTalk and to the BA branch in particular. Your comments suggest you have been around for quite some time so congratulations on breaking your posting duck.

There was obviously an issue with the water, no doubt about that. My comments were in relation to the assertion that BA had cut corners, or had otherwise failed to carry out safety checks that should have been.

krispy84 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:50 am

Welcome first time poster! (long-time lurker I presume. Though of course, maybe this is not actually your first time posting but you are a long-term poster who just made a new account for the purpose of posting this comment, as I don't want to be just speculating).
Old May 7, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Exsilver
I wasn’t speculating that I couldn’t get a cup of tea, or that the crew member showed my wife the water level indicator at zero, or that the IFM made a long and rambling apology on arrival, that there had been no water on board.
Have I suggested otherwise?
Old May 7, 2022, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
GrannyWeatherwax welcome to FlyerTalk and to the BA branch in particular. Your comments suggest you have been around for quite some time so congratulations on breaking your posting duck.

There was obviously an issue with the water, no doubt about that. My comments were in relation to the assertion that BA had cut corners, or had otherwise failed to carry out safety checks that should have been.
Well actually, the post you are replying to doesn't say safety checks, just "something wasn't checked that should have been". Given how fundamental water is on a long journey like that - I'd say that's a check that should have been carried out. I also find it quite hard to believe that it was only discovered once airborne. More likely, I think, is the crew decided to fly because once you're in the air as a passenger you frankly have no option but to suck it up (or not suck it up as there's nothing TO suck up in this case).

No, this is shameful and happened to me many years ago on a flight from San Francisco to London with BA where there was no water on board and that was a truly horrible experience. In business the toilets were grim by the end of the flight - not really anyone's fault - and I cannot imagine the state of the economy toilets given the sheer number of people using them. BA's offer of compensation was a big fat zero and it took a trip to the courts where they settled on the steps - literally - about 30 minutes before the case was scheduled to get them to pay up.

But given that BA can't even run a proper scheduled service at the moment, and are cancelling left, right and centre and are also unable to deal with the fallout because their call centres are so poorly staffed I don't really know why any of this comes as any great surprise.
scoonee and JD1905 like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:03 am

Have I suggested otherwise?
Pray tell, what you suggested and your "alternative" explanation of the fact there was no water on board?
Old May 7, 2022, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

. A 12 hour flight with no water is shocking, no matter how you cut it.
Having no tap water is no big deal to me...leaving without tonic water would be a different story.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
So much wild hysteria about a bit of water when, as mentioned already, there are 200 unweighed lumps of flesh and bones onboard who could each weigh anywhere between 50 and 130kg easily. Put another way, the missing potable water is 0.4% of the estimated take off weight of the aircraft on that day. This flight was some way off "OMG we could have plunged into the Wraysbury Reservoir".
On another airline I got told off for sitting in row 9 instead of row 8, for "weight and balance" reasons. Clearly this wasn't going to crash the plane, there's no way airlines operate so close to the limits. But air travel is so safe because of this laser-focus on small things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.