Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The T5 Pods are back :)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
i agree, I did stay there (legally) mid pandemic during one of the lockdowns when it was one of the few hotels operational in the London area. Not since. But it's not somewhere that will change your life, it does not ooze extravagence, but it is quite cosy in an old slippers sort of way. I think all my stays were under £60 including breakfast, which certainly beats a sub-par stay at the Sofitel costing £250.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Brownyboy
Ive used the Thistle a few times and will again tomorrow. The price of 2 weeks parking and a 1 night stay was £130 vs almost £200 for parking alone at the official car park.
I am interested to hear of how it is post Covid, just booked for June. Car Parking and room cheaper than one night at the Sofitel. Hope the runway terrace is still open, early evening pint outside, and 20 Marlboro...sorted.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
I am interested to hear of how it is post Covid, just booked for June. Car Parking and room cheaper than one night at the Sofitel. Hope the runway terrace is still open, early evening pint outside, and 20 Marlboro...sorted.
The only plus point is the runway terrace (weather permitting)
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
The only plus point is the runway terrace (weather permitting)
12 Avios/£ after taxes etc. through the e-store at present might make things sweeter..
Haagen Daz likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Hurray for the PODs!
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are thinking of doing this then you may as well walk the whole way, since the pods place you geographically near those hotels, but the only route northwards towards the Colnbrook Bypass is that via the Thistle paid gate. The way out of the pod parking brings you on to the Northern Perimeter Road, southwards towards the runways. To get from there to the Sheraton means walking just as far as the Bath Road semi-pedestrian route. So just take the 423 bus or 350 if it comes first.
I think what HPN-HRL means (and what I'd be interested in doing next time I stay at the Sheraton) is to pay to go through the Thistle gate, but then continue north out of the Thistle car park to the Sheraton. Does anyone know if the Thistle will take your money and let you do that?
HPN-HRL likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by omk298
I think what HPN-HRL means (and what I'd be interested in doing next time I stay at the Sheraton) is to pay to go through the Thistle gate, but then continue north out of the Thistle car park to the Sheraton. Does anyone know if the Thistle will take your money and let you do that?
I’ve done this in the other direction (Thistle to T5) in the pre-plague past, and they would charge you £5 for it at reception and then you’d buzz them at the gate and they would let you through.

Not sure if they are happy to do it the other way around though given you might do a runner once they’ve opened the gate for you!
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes I don't think this is going to work reliably since they usually ask for your name at the buzzer so they can chuck the charge on to the room rate. Going back to the pods from the hotel requires a PIN code which is changed daily.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
The Thistle is a dump . The pods are fun but I wouldn’t even contemplate staying at the Thistle (even for 1 night) again just to get there by the pod
Stuff and Nonsense. There is nothing wrong with the place at all. Fancy it is not serviceable it certainly is. Those pods whisk you there in no time and as long as the place is clean and I can get a night sleep that’s all I need for a one night stand. Off comes the slap, bed, a decent cup of tea in the morning, shower, and a new layer of wall paint applied and I’m good to go.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes I don't think this is going to work reliably since they usually ask for your name at the buzzer so they can chuck the charge on to the room rate. Going back to the pods from the hotel requires a PIN code which is changed daily.
There was a PIN code to get back to the hotel pre-Covid - when we stayed there we'd pay for the round trip and they'd give us the code for the way back as well.
Has that changed?
​​​​​
Old Apr 9, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by omk298
There was a PIN code to get back to the hotel pre-Covid - when we stayed there we'd pay for the round trip and they'd give us the code for the way back as well.
Has that changed?
​​​​​
No, depends on how you arrive: if you start at the hotel (e.g. arriving by car) then they can give you a PIN code. If you arrive at the hotel for the very first time then they buzz you in.
omk298 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by xenole
12 Avios/£ after taxes etc. through the e-store at present might make things sweeter..
Thanks for the tip. Booked.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Well I can safely say in the 3 years since we last stayed there, nothing has changed, just the furniture is 3 years older! Our room was dated but clean with a comfy bed and we had a nice runway view. The lack of lifts is always going to be an issue, I don't think my wife would have managed the suitcase up the stairs herself.

The car park was rammed, cars were parked everywhere, on the grass, curbs you name it if a car would fit there it was being used. Turns out there was a big wedding party in the conference room. The guys on reception were really helpful though and came out to check where I parked was OK, and suggested waiting until later to see if better spaces came up after the party finished. In the end I went down early this morning and easily got a 'proper' space right by the pod gate.

Of course the pods being available was the added bonus, its still £6 PP per way although due to a misunderstanding with my accent we only ended up booking the outbound so will have to pay back at the hotel for the return in a couple of weeks.

I don't see why you couldn't just pay in reception if you staying at say the premier Inn across the road. We had pre-paid the room so just asked to pay for the pods on their own.

We'll be flying long haul again from T5 this summer and I think I'd book the same again even though its probably the worst hotel I've stayed in for 20+ years!! For the price it's impossible to beat and I can't bring myself to pay the Sofitel for what amounts to a 10 hour stay and then have parking on top. I find holiday extras is usually cheaper than booking direct and they have more flexibility in how long you can have for parking. If you search but don't book they will email you later offering an additional discount to complete.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Brownyboy
Well I can safely say in the 3 years since we last stayed there, nothing has changed, just the furniture is 3 years older! Our room was dated but clean with a comfy bed and we had a nice runway view. The lack of lifts is always going to be an issue, I don't think my wife would have managed the suitcase up the stairs herself.

The car park was rammed, cars were parked everywhere, on the grass, curbs you name it if a car would fit there it was being used. Turns out there was a big wedding party in the conference room. The guys on reception were really helpful though and came out to check where I parked was OK, and suggested waiting until later to see if better spaces came up after the party finished. In the end I went down early this morning and easily got a 'proper' space right by the pod gate.

Of course the pods being available was the added bonus, its still £6 PP per way although due to a misunderstanding with my accent we only ended up booking the outbound so will have to pay back at the hotel for the return in a couple of weeks.

I don't see why you couldn't just pay in reception if you staying at say the premier Inn across the road. We had pre-paid the room so just asked to pay for the pods on their own.

We'll be flying long haul again from T5 this summer and I think I'd book the same again even though its probably the worst hotel I've stayed in for 20+ years!! For the price it's impossible to beat and I can't bring myself to pay the Sofitel for what amounts to a 10 hour stay and then have parking on top. I find holiday extras is usually cheaper than booking direct and they have more flexibility in how long you can have for parking. If you search but don't book they will email you later offering an additional discount to complete.
Thank you for that, just what I hoped! As a sole trader on my "own dime" I just cannot justify in my own head the Sofitel now that the Pods are running.
My wife having used both the Thistle and the Sofitel when we have been on holiday disliked the latter because it has an enclosed feel, understandably because of its proximity to the terminal. I would rather spend the money on other things.
Haagen Daz and Brownyboy like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:29 am

Is the pod parking free for 30 mins? Did it used to be or did I imagine that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.