Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by VSLover
while that would be ideal it really just isnt scalable to have one person show up to the office each morning and scan every country BA fly to to see what changed overnight hence putting the responsibility on the passenger which is no different than pretty much every other entry requirement we face depending on our passport and country we fly to.
The way I understood the post I was reacting to, crews are getting a briefing which includes information whether masks are required or not on a particular route. All I'm asking for is that the information already available to BA staff is also available to passengers. This would allow us to make informed decision on whether to book (or cancel) our flights, as well as prevent any misunderstandings.

I have an upcoming itinerary where I'm sure that masks aren't required at any location involved, but unless I know for sure that BA interprets rules correctly, I won't have confidence in keeping that booking live and I will have to opt for a FTV, which isn't a desired outcome for BA.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyLilBlondie
I don't see why not. I literally monitor over 50 territories covid rules and restrictions as part of my job. In one week there is probably only 5 or 6 major changes. You dont check for information, you have a system where the information comes to you.
then when BA opens headcount to have someone do that, it sounds like you have a role along with travel benefits waiting for you!

but in all seriousness, it isnt as easy as ensuring other countries are updating the correct information in a timely manner either--as has been seen before thru the pandemic. a country will ease rules but not update official guidance or websites especially when BA are posting the information as a rule or requirement of travel on their planes.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
From what I can see the mask requirements have been removed from the following (so far).

Short Haul

ARN
BHD
BLL
BRU
BUD
CPH
GIB
GOT
KEF
MAN
NCL
OSL

Long Haul

ANU
KWI
MLE
NBO

I’ll try and update as and when 👍🏼
Thank you for posting this, I'm much less worried now that I see al my destinations on the list
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Unless you have some medical condition that prevents wearing a mask, could I ask why on earth you would suffer this simply to avoid protecting yourself and others from
possible spreading of a virus ?
People are different. Many of us are reluctant to constrain our ability to breath easily over an extended period. It is uncomfortable and many dislike the experience intensely. Hence we're reluctant to shell out money for that pleasure and so avoid air travel. We also want our old lives back. "Possible spreading of a virus" isn't a compelling argument. We have seen how countries with mandated N95 masks have seen explosive rates of infection, hence masks are primarily a compliance measure for behaviours. In themselves, they're not worth the hassle, and I say that as a data analyst who's seen a career of findings skewed to fit the prevailing narrative.
vanmunchen, SteveF, BA235 and 13 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Was in heathrow T5 and BA Galleries South lounge a few hours ago. 9 out of 10 guests continuing mask usage.

Lovely BA employees enforcing mask wearing. Good on them. Mask up and dont be selfish. 2 years into the pandemic and some asinine travelers here think the UK is Florida all of a sudden.
I find this hard to believe, as the majority of people in lounges are either eating or drinking.
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by VSLover
then when BA opens headcount to have someone do that, it sounds like you have a role along with travel benefits waiting for you!

but in all seriousness, it isnt as easy as ensuring other countries are updating the correct information in a timely manner either--as has been seen before thru the pandemic. a country will ease rules but not update official guidance or websites especially when BA are posting the information as a rule or requirement of travel on their planes.
As I said, I do this as part of my job as my industry needs to know about mask mandates as well as distancing, curfews and vaccine passports in order to operate and on which I compile a report of all changes. It hasn’t required any additional headcount to be needed. Barely takes any time at all and is no different from finding out the rules of testing at each destination, which BA has to be on top of as it can change each day too. At the very least they should follow what is on FCDO, which, on most occasions, is the most up to date on countries current rules, though I’d like to think they have their own process of gathering up to date information.
mpkz likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: executive club
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
There were two topics on this very subject that were closed several times because there were a number of radical anti/pro-maskers who insisted on taking the threads off topic. Rather than discussing the practicalities of the new policy the threads were taken off topic rather quickly with discussion on the politics or efficacy of mask wearing. Given the continued confusion on what the current policy is, hopefully we can keep the discussion firmly on policy and practicality so travellers can travel armed with the latest up to date and accurate information.
I appreciated some things get out of hand I am not attempting to get views on jabs or no jabs

I have gone to the links provided and read best I can. But the wording is confusing and ambiguous . BA stipulate to check the local restrictions but i am not flying locally. I cannot find any reference to restriction that say you must wear a face covering after you leave #canada.!

I am not top of the class for English but, as there is no restrictions noted leaving Canada and I am arriving in England this means I do not have to wear a face covering on the plane.

I must however wear a covering at the airport until I leave airport.

Another thing I have seen ion BA reading information for my flight is that they are stating it is Illegal not to wear a covering. I have been out of England for a while but when did this become law
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:06 pm

Not that I am a clever person but I was taken to the BA pages where they state no wearing of face covering
if the country has no restrictions. So not sure how your situation happened. having the BA print outs would be required
Sorry for you upset
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:12 pm

I see there is a lot of people on the ball here.

Is there anyone who can tell me where its stated mask and face covering I ask this because I keep getting nose bleeds when wearing a mask which goes over the ears. I normally wear a visor which covers all my face, mouth etc.

So will they allow me to wear that. I don't mind them telling me to wear a material mask as long as they do not might blood over the aisle and possibly other people.

answers appreciated
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:13 pm

definition of mask which one?

Originally Posted by mchc01
I see there is a lot of people on the ball here.

Is there anyone who can tell me where its stated mask and face covering I ask this because I keep getting nose bleeds when wearing a mask which goes over the ears. I normally wear a visor which covers all my face, mouth etc.

So will they allow me to wear that. I don't mind them telling me to wear a material mask as long as they do not might blood over the aisle and possibly other people.

answers appreciated
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by hydro001
The general guidance is that there is no requirement to wear face masks at airports in England, including facilities e.g. lounges whereas up until a few days ago, LHR had a mask mandate.

Company is in process of updating all the covid briefs which from what I can see most have been updated. Some destinations do not require masks, most do, and some extra PPE on top of masks are required. All dependent on the restrictions of the destination operated to/ from. For example, NCL does not require masks as of brief update today ; Stockholm does not require masks; USA does; and India required face visor and gowns for some.
Italy does (at least did 3 weeks ago) requires in all close spaces and large gathering spaces (e.g football stadiums) as well airport visitors and airlines passengers to wear the FFP2/N95 mask type… when I last flew in in November, the BA crew was handing in all-white (both sides) surgical masks, and when pointing out that they were the same then the white/blue mask I was wearing, they said to be confused themselves but that they had been told that Italy only accepted those Masks. When we finally landed and I asked around the airport, I found out the wrong interpretation BA had of the rules (FFP2 are most often all whites, but are rigid and have a distinct shape).
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It's a trap, people, BA is trying to to trick you and lure you in to the airports and force you to wear a mask, abort! abort! Retreat back to the train stations to recuperate and live to fight another day...
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I find this hard to believe, as the majority of people in lounges are either eating or drinking.
Agreed, primarily because LHR no longer requires masks and also as you note because you were allowed to remove them when sat down anywhere. Having been there yesterday I would say face coverings are now worn by a minority when moving around and most of the staff are no longer wearing one either. So the figure of 90% and the idea there was enforcement by staff doesn’t ring true.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 17, 2022 at 10:10 pm
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:22 pm

I am a little concerned I am due to flight back to Heathrow on Monday

When I flew out I wore a full face visor because wearing material mask causes me to have nose bleeds. I was told and given a blue mask in my seat and told I had to wear mask. I took of the attendant and flying during the day managed to keep it under my nose most of the time. but if they are still so strict I foresee having episodes of nose bleeds. I am flying overnight to Heathrow and would prefer not to choke when Im sleeping. Will they allow me not to wear material when sleeping?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
From what I can see the mask requirements have been removed from the following (so far).

Short Haul

ARN
BHD
BLL
BRU
BUD
CPH
GIB
GOT
KEF
MAN
NCL
OSL

Long Haul

ANU
KWI
MLE
NBO

I’ll try and update as and when 👍🏼
Really helpful thanks! Hopefully someone gets to JER soon. The airport website is confusing and says everyone ‘must’ wear masks because the airlines want them to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.