Search

Bloomberg Reporting USA to open

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jayjaygee
Where did you get this information from? Kids over 12 to how old? That means children up to 12 years old and adults over 18??? can get into the country?? That's just nonsense.
It’s currently the German rule, albeit with a quarantine alternative. Need to see if the full CDC wording differs from the media reports.

It’s all about where the cut off for ‘fully vaccinated’ sits.

I have a 13 year old who can’t be fully vaccinated in the U.K. and a California holiday booked for Easter so no-one is keener than me to see these initial reports proven wrong. If this is the case we might start seeing pressure to allow U.K. tweens to voluntarily request a second dose.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So perhaps more accurate to say we don’t know yet?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by KARFA
So perhaps more accurate to say we don’t know yet?
No, but someone is briefing the media.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
No, but someone is briefing the media.
I think if we believed every rumour circulated in the media and supposedly from good sources during the last few months the US would have been open in July.

Bear in mind people read your post, which lacks any qualification, and they will now be concerned they can’t take their children. Let’s try and focus on what we know for sure rather than turning rumour in to fact.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think if we believed every rumour circulated in the media and supposedly from good sources during the last few months the US would have been open in July.
If I had a pound for every post that began "Paul Charles has just tweeted...". Probably 1 in 10 predictions he made were actually correct.

There's somebody I know who makes up Man Utd transfer rumours. One of his made up rumours actually turned out to be true a few years, and he's now followed by hundreds of thousand of people who think he's "in the know". I'm pretty sure some of these "travel experts" do the same (not Raffles of course!).
Silver Fox and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Another thing is that there's a shortage of rental cars and prices are high.
The rental car companies got rid of their cars when demand was low and can't easily replace them
now because of microchip shortage that has cut production of new cars

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-at-least-2022
I was surprised at how cheap my upcoming 5 day car rental was. £100 / day for a premium SUV. If I'd wanted something basic it was circa £50 / day.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Okrib
I was surprised at how cheap my upcoming 5 day car rental was. £100 / day for a premium SUV. If I'd wanted something basic it was circa £50 / day.

where? when? and what rental company?
LucyK1806 and gioannis13 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The other point I'd make about travel in the US is that Uber / Lyft are also still somewhat hit and miss. Yesterday was the first occasion in a long time that I was able to get a reasonably priced Uber from LAS to home. The previous few trips all resulted in quoted fares between $80 and $120 for what should be a $20 trip. I ended up taking taxis instead.

I have also had multiple cases where drivers have accepted the trip and then subsequently canceled on me. Last occasion was in San Francisco where I had two drivers accept, then cancel, and the third driver was miles away. I ended up taking a bus!

Car hire is ludicrous. I was chatting with someone in the Centurion Lounge at LAS who was flying to Alaska. His car rental was $3000 for 7 days! I almost fell off my bar stool when he said that.

The other big point, as made above, is that a lot of places are still shut. For example, a lot of the bars and restaurants in downtown LA aren't open because the businesses around them are still closed. My firm has made no decision on when we'll revert to in-office working but, based on what I can surmise, it's most likely not going to be until early next year. Hotels are open but a lot of their amenities remain closed - so pools, gyms, room-service etc. Mask mandates vary of course, but a lot of places are expecting either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test taken in the previous 72 hours.

I can understand people traveling to visit family whom they haven't seen for the best part of two years. That was the reasoning behind my most recent trip to the UK. If I lived in the UK with no ties to the US then I doubt very much I'd be traveling here purely for a holiday!
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Did see some comments on a travel review site where people had mentioned $60 for the couple of miles or so, with Lyft, to get from say Burlingame to SFO when no hotel shuttles were running.

Hopefully the airport hotels I'm at have shuttles, and I'm planning on using public transport or walking a mile to where I might want to go.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
where? when? and what rental company?
SFO for 5 days (pre-opening) through Sixt.

Just had a look and Hertz are showing an intermediate for £42 / day or a full size for £45 / day. Avis a Luxury £57 / day This is through American Express travel.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
I have a three day one-way rental (LAS - LAX) in mid-Nov for $350 for a mid-size. So slightly inflated but not to the degree that it would make me rethink a trip. This is Avis, BTW.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Just had an exploratory look for November ... Avis @ PHX for 2 weeks, Medium SUV as usual. £1,800!!
Accustomed to have paid about £500 in the past at PHX and IAD. I hope things improve before our planned trip in Feb 2022!
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Any recent stories on ESTA applications?
My understanding is that following a spate of cancellations in March 2020, the scheme remains open as we are currently allowed to spend two weeks in e.g. Mexico before crossing the border. But grateful for any recent experience.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ENTP
Any recent stories on ESTA applications?
My understanding is that following a spate of cancellations in March 2020, the scheme remains open as we are currently allowed to spend two weeks in e.g. Mexico before crossing the border. But grateful for any recent experience.
ESTAs are available. You can check to see if you have a live one here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/individualStatusLookup

New UK applications are being processed within the hour.
squeeler, alex67500 and ENTP like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Lovely, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.