Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bloomberg Reporting USA to open

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
What's the general opinion on here, once the US does eventually let us is, will it simply be a case of if you're fully vaccinated you'll get in, or do you think it'll be fully vaccinated & a pre departure test?
I can’t see them dropping the pre-departure test at the moment, given the fact they still have the mask mandate etc.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
What's the general opinion on here, once the US does eventually let us is, will it simply be a case of if you're fully vaccinated you'll get in, or do you think it'll be fully vaccinated & a pre departure test?
It was indicated travellers would need to be fully vaccinated plus a pre departure-test. There was talk of an additional test after arrival. We’ll know for sure in the coming days/weeks.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
The nearer we get to being allowed in the less I want to go judging by the crazy stuff coming out of the country. Such a shame; looks like Chicago is off a fourth time but at my request this time :-)

There were just so many cities to visit for 100k avoid on a 2-4-1 it was just too damn handy. Still there you go.
The good news is we have no petrol or food shortages!
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I can’t see them dropping the pre-departure test at the moment, given the fact they still have the mask mandate etc.
Given that even fully vaccinated US citizens are required to meet the US’s timely testing requirement to fly to the US from anywhere by common carriers, I would say that those who are awaiting the additional US opening to travelers from US-restricted areas should anticipate also having to to meet the US testing requirement prior to flight to the US.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given that even fully vaccinated US citizens are required to meet the US’s timely testing requirement to fly to the US from anywhere by common carriers, I would say that those who are awaiting the additional US opening to travelers from US-restricted areas should anticipate also having to to meet the US testing requirement prior to flight to the US.
I think everyone would expect that. And already having a system in place makes it all the more unfathomable that this is taking/has taken so flipping long.
pazza2000 and atcer28 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I think everyone would expect that. And already having a system in place makes it all the more unfathomable that this is taking/has taken so flipping long.
“Diseased foreigners” talk has increased in the US in recent days. It wasn’t about Covid, but the theme being resurgent is not helpful if wanting to see an opening sooner than later. It also doesn’t help that some hospitals in parts of the US are overburdened with Covid-19, more so this month than during most of this pandemic.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
“Diseased foreigners” talk has increased in the US in recent days. It wasn’t about Covid, but the theme being resurgent is not helpful if wanting to see an opening sooner than later. It also doesn’t help that some hospitals in parts of the US are overburdened with Covid-19, more so this month than during most of this pandemic.
Arguably due to the reluctance of the population to embrace the vaccination program, but that argument is for another day. I have LAX booked for Christmas, but if the entry restrictions become cumbersome, then I will just take a voucher and stay at home.
Silver Fox and gioannis13 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Agreed, and I’m ok to a point with this delay in giving us a date, as long as once the doors are open they stay open.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:38 pm

WASHINGTON, Oct 12 (Reuters) - The United States will lift restrictions at its land borders with Canada and Mexico for fully vaccinated foreign nationals in early November,
ending historic curbs on non-essential travelers in place since March 2020 to address the COVID-19 pandemic.

The precise date in early November when the restrictions will be lifted on both land and air travel will be announced "very soon," one of the officials said.

U.S. to lift Canada, Mexico land border restrictions in Nov for vaccinated visitors | Reuters

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/12/...-enter-us-land
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
WASHINGTON, Oct 12 (Reuters) - The United States will lift restrictions at its land borders with Canada and Mexico for fully vaccinated foreign nationals in early November,
ending historic curbs on non-essential travelers in place since March 2020 to address the COVID-19 pandemic.

The precise date in early November when the restrictions will be lifted on both land and air travel will be announced "very soon," one of the officials said.

U.S. to lift Canada, Mexico land border restrictions in Nov for vaccinated visitors | Reuters

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/12/...-enter-us-land
The Reuters piece says ‘early November’ but the official DHS quote from the Secretary of Homeland Security says ‘November’. Other official statements I've seen from the US have also removed the word ‘early’ from their statement.

Let’s hope they put us out of our misery and announce the actual date soon so that we can all get planning and (cancelling and re)booking.
Silver Fox, heronb and camdentown like this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, IHG, AA,
British Airways has pushed back the planned restart of transatlantic routes to Las Vegas, Orlando and Tampa by two weeks to 15 November. Newark is currently showing as still due to resume on 1 November.

Not looking good at all the USA will open in November
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
Originally Posted by N181DN
British Airways has pushed back the planned restart of transatlantic routes to Las Vegas, Orlando and Tampa by two weeks to 15 November. Newark is currently showing as still due to resume on 1 November.

I think it will be in November and probably from the Monday on Thanksgiving week (the kind of thing politicans do to give something back to the little people). No knowledge on this, just my gut feel.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm putting odds on the 31st November......
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by N181DN

With the uncertainty of the date, I wouldn't have expected families with kids to make speculative bookings to all these leisure destination with the hope that the US would re-open.
Those who could indeed travel or willing to take the risk of speculation could obviously fly via one of the AA hubs on a codeshare flight.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:23 am

What's going to happen first, the announcement on when we can ditch the PCRs for Day 2 testing or the announcement on the US's reopening day? My money's on the first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.