Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
UPDATE: 2 hours 5 from drop off at the terminal to walking in the T3 Escape lounge.

Ended up being diverted down to the Security B, which was a maze of tensa barriers. Fast track helped us slightly here. They were calling people forwards for flights before 0850 at 0800. Announcements were made saying secondary checks were taking 40 mins. All of us made it through the first screen, mainly because I followed advice on here!
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fripperies
I'd have no hesitation about changing my next MAN-LHR-LAX to LHR-LAX direct. Unfortunately it can't be done in MMB and I haven't been able to get through to an agent. I'm hoping that when I do someone will take pity and make the change without recalculating the fare at today's eye-watering £13,554.
Well, CS say that as they have not received notification of any disruptions at MAN (!) the outbound domestic sector can't be cancelled. The only option they could offer is to cancel the booking and make a new booking for LHR-LAX direct at nearly 4 times the original cost. Does anyone know a reliable way to protect the onward flight if the first sector is a no-show?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fripperies
Well, CS say that as they have not received notification of any disruptions at MAN (!) the outbound domestic sector can't be cancelled. The only option they could offer is to cancel the booking and make a new booking for LHR-LAX direct at nearly 4 times the original cost. Does anyone know a reliable way to protect the onward flight if the first sector is a no-show?
No, you need to fly the booking as made or formally change it. BA are not going to allow free voluntary changes on the expectation of possible delays in the future. Obviously if your MAN-LHR flight were cancelled you could choose to start the journey in LHR and BA will reticket that for you.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:56 am

I’m supposed to be up Manchester way this upcoming weekend.

I’m supposed to be flying MAN-LHR at 7.00am, arriving at 8:10am on Sunday morning with checked luggage that I’ll pick up in LHR. I’m then self-connecting onto another BA flight at 11.00am. Usually, it’d be fine and I’d have no worries. However, the Security at MAN worries me, and I don’t want to miss the MAN-LHR flight.

I booked a backup flight a while ago on Avios on Saturday evening at 8:50.

Is this Saturday evening likely to be better at Security for MAN T1 than this Sunday morning?

I prefer Sunday as I’d get to see friends for longer, and the hotels in Manchester city Centre are nicer than the hotels I’d be choosing at LHR.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Simon Schus

I’m supposed to be flying MAN-LHR at 7.00am, arriving at 8:10am on Sunday morning with checked luggage that I’ll pick up in LHR. I’m then self-connecting onto another BA flight at 11.00am. Usually, it’d be fine and I’d have no worries. However, the Security at MAN worries me, and I don’t want to miss the MAN-LHR flight.

Is this Saturday evening likely to be better at Security for MAN T1 than this Sunday morning?

I prefer Sunday as I’d get to see friends for longer, and the hotels in Manchester city Centre are nicer than the hotels I’d be choosing at LHR.
At the moment I'd be extremely nervous about a 3-hour connection with BA on separate tickets, and the state of Manchester Airport security simply adds to the uncertainty.

If the onward flight at 11.00 is a long-haul one, or one that you simply must be on, I'd be flying down on Saturday evening. Or not going to Manchester at all.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Simon Schus

I would cancel the flight and take the train especially these are on different bookings.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Krisz
I would cancel the flight and take the train especially these are on different bookings.
There isn't a train from Manchester to London on a Sunday morning that would get you there before 11.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
UPDATE: 2 hours 5 from drop off at the terminal to walking in the T3 Escape lounge.

Ended up being diverted down to the Security B, which was a maze of tensa barriers. Fast track helped us slightly here. They were calling people forwards for flights before 0850 at 0800. Announcements were made saying secondary checks were taking 40 mins. All of us made it through the first screen, mainly because I followed advice on here!
I hope during the delay you were in the lounge rather than on board. Do you have an indication what caused it? Arrival at MAN to in the air seems to routinely be pushing 6+ hours for many carriers. It's just appaling. Hope you made it to where you needed to be on time.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: Exec Club
Originally Posted by Misco60
There isn't a train from Manchester to London on a Sunday morning that would get you there before 11.
There used to be one about 9.30 that got 8n at about 10.50 if it’s still on the timetable. I know avanti are as reliable as BA at the moment
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by KARFA
No, you need to fly the booking as made or formally change it. BA are not going to allow free voluntary changes on the expectation of possible delays in the future. Obviously if your MAN-LHR flight were cancelled you could choose to start the journey in LHR and BA will reticket that for you.
We're booked MAN-LHR-CPT this coming weekend and are obviously concerned with these cancellations.

Could I just ask-If our MAN-LHR flight was cancelled, could we just take the train and turn up at LHR and would everything be sorted at check in or would I need to get through to BA and get the booking re-ticketed before turning up on the day of travel?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If your MAN-LHR was cancelled then you best get on the train ASAP and try to get to LHR in good time for the next flight. Usually that's not a problem but if you are able to get a contact centre to strike out the first sector then it would make life easier at LHR.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If your MAN-LHR was cancelled then you best get on the train ASAP and try to get to LHR in good time for the next flight. Usually that's not a problem but if you are able to get a contact centre to strike out the first sector then it would make life easier at LHR.
Thanks for the quick reply.

We're booked to travel on the BA1399 which leaves MAN at 15.55 and are planning to get to MAN around 12.30 due to the delays.

As our flight to Cape Town doesn't depart until 22.25, I'm confident we would be able to get on a train and make it as long as they inform us of any cancellation before the scheduled departure of our MAN flight.

I was just thinking if we learned our MAN flight was cancelled before we get to the airport in Manchester then we should go straight to LHR and not waste time going to MAN to find out about re-ticketing as I believe getting through to a call centre isn't easy.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by simon stingray
I was just thinking if we learned our MAN flight was cancelled before we get to the airport in Manchester then we should go straight to LHR and not waste time going to MAN to find out about re-ticketing as I believe getting through to a call centre isn't easy.
Yes, that's a general point that there is now very little point going to an airport if your service is cancelled (as opposed to delayed), there isn't a lot that they can do unless there is another flight with seats that still makes the connection. Obviously one should try to get to the Contact Centre if possible. Unfortunately MMB won't give that option (to delete a sector). If the flight is badly delayed, won't make the connection but the train will, then you best call since you need to avoid being a no-show on sector 1. I once encountered someone who got into T5 before they no-showed on their NCL to LHR flight, took a very early train service in other words, so the computers aren't that clever. But then when it came to boarding their longhaul there was an almightly mess at the gate since the ticket said one thing and Ready to Fly said the opposite.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:35 am

We are also in a pickle about our travel in a couple of weeks. Flying out of MAN at 6.55 .(Friday) with our connection to LAX at 9.50. Planning to get to MAN as early as possible but looking at the stats this week the flight has been delayed every day. Does anyone know if BA are providing any assistance at LHR to get people to connections if the incoming is delayed and it’s a tight turnaround?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:15 am

Don’t bank on being able to check in early - they only open the desks around 2hr 40 before the scheduled time. If there is an earlier flight they will only check in those passengers first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.