Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Krisz
well the good news is that your plane has left the gate 2nd for take off. So 35 min flight time etc. so yes it will be close to 11:30 departure from Man.
If that translates to arrival time around 12:40 that's going to make a 13:25 out of T3 'interesting'. Ironically there's a BA A3xx sat on 142, no signs of life though. Mines just pulled onto stand so some hope.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Apr 26, 2022 at 4:28 am
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
If that translates to arrival time around 12:40 that's going to make a 13:25 out of T3 'interesting'. Ironically there's a BA A3xx sat on 142, no signs of life though. Mines just pulled onto stand so some hope.
Well guess which plane is that. Thats the 11:40 sitting there. It came in the morning. Dont ask me why BA is doing this. I dont think so you will be delayed that much. I think you will be at the gate in LHR around 12 maybe 5-6 min later. Im sure you can have a quick visit to the CX lounge.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Krisz
Well guess which plane is that. Thats the 11:40 sitting there. It came in the morning. Dont ask me why BA is doing this. I dont think so you will be delayed that much. I think you will be at the gate in LHR around 12 maybe 5-6 min later. Im sure you can have a quick visit to the CX lounge.
Yeh, some magical logistics at work there, perhaps the IT intern is back scheduling aircraft :-)

We're just pushing back so 12 ish deplane looks viable and failing any more issues connection OK.

Great job getting to at3 xfer security at LHR for 1225, however 'no fastrack today sir' and a pretty big Q, reckon at least 30 mins....wishing i'd gone landside route now.
Krisz likes this.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Apr 26, 2022 at 6:29 am
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, United Premier Exec, Virgin Gold
I went through Manchester last Friday. Hand baggage only, I really struggled to be allowed to access fast track. Lots of people had bought fast track access and there were people checking for their receipts. Showing your boarding pass or silver/gold, they said do you have fast track? The first checker recognised group 1 as being eligible, the second checker two minutes later informed me I was in a channel that was only for fast track. I said yes, and the response was but you need to have fast track to use this I confirmed I was gold and was told that I could continue using my iPhone boarding pass but next time would need proof I had fast track!
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I went through this week MAN twice. Once around 9:20am for my 11:40 flight and now at 5:20am for my 7:00am flight. Normal security at 5am very long goes all the way to the area where the escalator comes up. It moves though but I would think its around 40-50 min. Fast track was quick took me about 10 min max. This is a big contrast at 9am where security was quiet. (Except fast track which was slower slightly than normal but I would think the difference was around 10 min max) Lounge at 5:30am is busy mainly because many people willing to pay the 45 per person entry fee. 9am was still busy the lounge and only prebooked and airline guests could enter so if you have no status or not in BA business then my suggestion either prebook (cheaper) or come early.
the main airport terminal is super busy at 5am you wouldnt able to find a seat some people standing. 9am was less busy and around 11am when my flight was leaving was still busy but nothing crazy.
so its really depends which BA service you are on.
Using fast track was not a problem. The self scanner knows who is eligible so I wouldnt ask staff anything.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
BA could resolve the FastTrack confusion by having it printed on the paper boarding passes and displayed on the mobile boarding pass. They do this on flights from LHR.
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
BA could resolve the FastTrack confusion by having it printed on the paper boarding passes and displayed on the mobile boarding pass. They do this on flights from LHR.
I wrote to BA about this and received a reply In March staff don't always recognise it from the boarding pass if it doesn't say 'fast track'. If you are checking in luggage the boarding pass should say fast track. Unfortunately, this has been an ongoing issue we have had with the fast track showing. Please be assured, I have passed your email onto the Management team as part of feedback so this can be investigated further. Such a simple issue to fix you would have thought. I carry the email in case I am ever stopped
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Indeed. They used to actually put a sticker on your boarding pass many years ago. Although that was flawed as you could peal if off afterwards, and then put it on any boarding pass afterwards! :-/
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Indeed. They used to actually put a sticker on your boarding pass many years ago. Although that was flawed as you could peal if off afterwards, and then put it on any boarding pass afterwards! :-/
Used to have it on my passport - worked for years!
CHESHLAD and SxMan like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Used to have it on my passport - worked for years!
Me too!
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It is rather daft and antiquated for some MAN staff to still think people would be going to check in just to get a sticker, but equally it is rather silly BA don't just put "Fast track" on the bp like they do at NCL or INV for example.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Inadvertently posted this in the wrong thread -

Currently in T3 on my way back down to London.

to sum up, if you can avoid MAN do so. Youll have a far more pleasant experience by rail. It is utter bedlam today. The lounge full to the brim and the scenes below are representative of a zoo. It is Friday so the place is now overrun with stag and hen dos.

timings - security 30 mins. Was moving but just busy @ 1020.

checkin was busy but moving, about 15 mins or so. No seating whatsoever in the main departures area, lots of people giving up on the massive Qs for bars/eateries and opening bottles of vodka from duty free.

For those of us that have frequented T3 since the early noughties, it is sad to see it today. The main airline being Ryanair has certainly brought in the numbers into a facility that just cant cope. There has only been one constant at T3 since around 2012, decline.

Avanti will have my trade next time.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ACARS
to sum up, if you can avoid MAN do so. Youll have a far more pleasant experience by rail. It is utter bedlam today. The lounge full to the brim and the scenes below are representative of a zoo. It is Friday so the place is now overrun with stag and hen dos.
So, your only complaints are that there are more commoners than you'd like, and they're spoiling your view from the lounge?
wythy and TarquinMontague like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 11:12 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ACARS
Avanti will have my trade next time.
If I'm just going to London and not transiting onwards, that will always be my choice. Cheaper, faster and overall less hassle.
Misco60, SxMan, flight125 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:14 am

Just got up to go and catch BA1383 (MAN-LHR 11.45). Parking in T3 and will note anything good/bad about the experience for data points.

Edit: Check in queue non priority was busy as BA1389 goes an hour before BA1383 and was awash with connecting pax. Priority check in never more than three deep. Staff proactively checking the queue for earlier flight pax and bringing them forward which was good.

Security was better than expected. Again very proactive in checking that people had removed all necessary items, including liquids, electrical items, belts, shoes, and first layer of skin and placed them in trays. As a result I saw very little in the way of secondary checks- mainly mothers with infants and more senior travellers with bulging carry-ons. Sailed through without a secondary check (first time at MAN for years and yet I did nothing different so perhaps theyve turned down the sensitivity on the scanners )

Departure lounge is very busy but there is still enough general seating (although there is a high proliferation of hand luggage that seems to need seats - it might be an overhang of social distancing attempts) The various eateries and bars have extremely long queues which show little sign of abating. After the two BA morning flights its Ryanair more or less across the board until 8pm. Im not sure if T3 is designed to handle that amount of pax.

Last edited by Jimbojumbo; Apr 30, 2022 at 4:24 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.