Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
From BBC News: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52542038

Virgin Atlantic is to cut a third of its staff in the UK and will keep its operation at Gatwick closed in repsonse to the coronavirus pandemic.

Virgin is cutting 3,150 post and the jobs will be lost across the board.

The airline will also not restart operations at Gatwick which have been suspended during the pandemic.

Virgin Atlantic also plans to reduce the size of its fleet of aircraft from 45 to 35 by the summer of 2022.
So Virgin are leaving, BA might leave and Norweigan won't be back until April 2021 at the earliest. Not much future for Long Haul from LGW!
Old May 5, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by wilsnunn

So Virgin are leaving, BA might leave and Norweigan won't be back until April 2021 at the earliest. Not much future for Long Haul from LGW!
This will go one of two ways:

1) BA use this time to get cheaper rates from LGW, given their larger power with Virgin and Norweigan gone for now.

2) BA also move their long hauls up to LHR as now they will be disadvantaged given Virgin will have Orlando and the Caribbean at Heathrow.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn

Perhaps it is time for the government to review UK aviation in light of the ongoing capacity requirements and environmental factors, and just shut down Gatwick along with a number of other UK airports.

Perhaps all we will need is Heathrow for the south of England, Manchester for the north, leaving the Scottish government to decide what it wants.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Perhaps it is time for the government to review UK aviation in light of the ongoing capacity requirements and environmental factors, and just shut down Gatwick along with a number of other UK airports.

Perhaps all we will need is Heathrow for the south of England, Manchester for the north, leaving the Scottish government to decide what it wants.
There is no way London only needs 1 airport, even in the short term. There’s Ryanair, Wizz, easyJet, BA, Virgin, Jet2, TUI, plus all the smaller and foreign airlines. Oh and the cargo.

Gatwick will be interesting for someone, I predict Wizz.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
There is no way London only needs 1 airport, even in the short term. There’s Ryanair, Wizz, easyJet, BA, Virgin, Jet2, TUI, plus all the smaller and foreign airlines. Oh and the cargo.

Yes it could be the case that ones loss is anothers gain.

It’s a shame to see LGW take some heavy blows from this, being my local airport. Will BA now (in light of this) change their tune on LGW?
Old May 5, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
They just announced a bunch of Luton-Greece flying for peak summer (keenly priced if anyone is tempted!), they are definitely trying to seize whatever opportunity they can out of the situation and are well placed to do so
Old May 5, 2020, 8:30 am

Could you see many of the smaller operators that fly into/out of Stansted/Luton/Southend move to Gatwick?
Old May 5, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
What happens to Virgin's slots at LGW? Did read something that they were going to hold on to them, but if they've no flights, how?
Old May 5, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by xenole
What happens to Virgin's slots at LGW? Did read something that they were going to hold on to them, but if they've no flights, how?
That would all depend on how long the use it or loose rules are suspended for. If those rules come back into force, they would have to use, lease or sell them.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
They might lease them to foreign carriers, but not their competitors.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

MAN might be fine for those in Yorkshire but there's still demand for NCL in the north east, it was a bad time for MME to relaunch though, I wonder if those new routes planned will ever happen.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
i believe their landing slots are collateral towards a loan/financing, if they lose slots, they lose collateral.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:46 pm

BA will definitely have to consider moving Antigua, Barbados and Orlando to LHR. Otherwise Virgin will have a real advantage over them.
​​
Old May 5, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
i believe their landing slots are collateral towards a loan/financing, if they lose slots, they lose collateral.
I believe that is only the LHR slots.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by calza
I believe that is only the LHR slots.
You are correct, my mistake.
no wonder they are retrenching to LHR, albeit the more expensive airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.