Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:21 am

Given the reduced thresholds for TP's collected by the end of the year are there currently any options out there for reasonable TP runs before that expired given you can reduce the price per TP by 25% (and even better not have to do as much flying)?

Any obvious sweet spots in the BA holidays double tier point promo?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Smile

I have finally reached Gold (until Nov 2023) following my TP run to DUB-LAX. Many thanks to all contributors on here for your suggestions and ideas and price indicators.
lsquare, flyerkit, j4mieuk and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wonderman
Given the reduced thresholds for TP's collected by the end of the year are there currently any options out there for reasonable TP runs before that expired given you can reduce the price per TP by 25% (and even better not have to do as much flying)?

Any obvious sweet spots in the BA holidays double tier point promo?
Maybe give us some help here?! How many TPs do you need? What level do you want to achieve? How much time / money can you spare? Would you prefer the cheapest TP/£ possible or would you sacrifice a bit of value for a more comfortable trip/holiday? Where are you based from?
There are a lot of example runs in the thread above too.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by danmushman
Maybe give us some help here?! How many TPs do you need? What level do you want to achieve? How much time / money can you spare? Would you prefer the cheapest TP/£ possible or would you sacrifice a bit of value for a more comfortable trip/holiday? Where are you based from?
There are a lot of example runs in the thread above too.
I'd say we leave these kind of posts to ripen on the vine until OPs learn to give the background details like you requested and show some examples that they have found for themselves.
dougzz, Deckter and danmushman like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by higham44
I have finally reached Gold (until Nov 2023) following my TP run to DUB-LAX. Many thanks to all contributors on here for your suggestions and ideas and price indicators.
Congratulations.
Do you mind sharing your TP run and the cost?
Thank you
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jameslon
Hi all - I’m looking for a tier point run (ex EU) to YVR. This is for June next year (dep 17th June or near enough) for 4-6 nights. I’ve tried ex-DUB and ex-BUD and routing via SEA seems best (eg DUB-LHR-SEA-YVR) but not seeing anything below £1700-1900 in J. I-class availability seems limited (booking too far out?)
I thought I might be able to do something like DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-YVR. itamatrix says no. Could be MPM issue too I think.
Am I missing a trick? Eg Origin, routing, etc? Thanks!
The best results I've found are ex-ES on the outbound and ex-HU on the return. This below itin for 1832 EUR.

This should be possible to refine further by adding another European hop and routing via SEA instead of LAX on BA/AS, which can't be displayed on matrix.
Nephoi and Neboxod like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
For those that don't like the 180-day advance purchase requirement with that, then try from FCO for a similar price and only 120-day AP.
flyerkit and dougzz like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by j4mieuk
Congratulations.
Thank you
If you browse back through the thread you'll probably find all the information you need about DUB-LAX TP runs.
onobond and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
For those that don't like the 180-day advance purchase requirement with that, then try from FCO for a similar price and only 120-day AP.
Are these anywhere near the same price? Cheapest I see to west coast is $2300
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by j4mieuk
Congratulations.
Thank you
I didn't achieve Gold just from this recent TP run, but it was the final piece in the jigsaw following three 160 TP weekends away to Sofia, Catania and Helsinki and holiday flights to Turkey. The TP run was that well documented DUB-LHR-BOS-LAX-BOS-LHR-DUB (£1500) with positioning flights in economy to/from DUB. It helped that my scheduled flight BOS-LAX was cancelled on my arrival at BOS and I was put on next flight and upgraded to First, giving me 210 TPs for that leg. I enjoyed the experience and, of course, the outcome of Gold until Nov 2023.
j4mieuk, n4ynx, ubiest and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
With the many repetitive posts I have been wondering what are the general TP run options? From top of my head:

1. ex-EU going east / west coast, ie BUD/OTP/SOF-LHR(-HEL)-JFK-SFO-HNL (potential end in SFO, SEA, LAX, or similar)
2. Europe B2B (ie LHR-SOF/OTP)
3. Europe 140TP one leg (ie ARN-HEL-AGP), latter is 140TP
4. Royal Jordanian, potentially starting in EU (CMB-DOH-AMM-CDG/MAD/LHR)
5. Intra-US in domestic first
6. ex-US going to South America (ie MIA-???)
salut0 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Long time lurker, first time poster here - have been watching these threads for what feels like years and finally bit the bullet on the below itinerary (phone the BA Gold line, chose option 3 for 'something else', got through to a great agent in the Indian call centre who diligently took all the details, priced it up (at 2879.28 GBP, less than Matrix ITA), and didn't even mention the phone booking cost. Delighted! Club Suite for both transatlantic jaunts, and no overnights / long layovers. Thanks so much to the contributors in this thread for helping me get there!

Dublin (DUB) to New York (JFK) — Tue, Jun 20

Dublin (DUB) to London (LHR) — Tue, Jun 20
British Airways 833
Dep: 9:10 am
Arr: 10:40 am
1h 30m
Airbus A320
Business (J)
Meal
Layover in LHR
1h 0m

London (LHR) to New York (JFK) — Tue, Jun 20
British Airways 173
Dep: 11:40 am
Arr: 2:25 pm
7h 45m
Boeing 777
Business (I)
Meal
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) — Tue, Jun 20

New York (JFK) to Phoenix (PHX) — Tue, Jun 20
American 1587
Dep: 4:40 pm
Arr: 6:59 pm
5h 19m
Boeing 737MAX 8 Passenger
First (I)
Dinner
Layover in PHX
1h 6m

Phoenix (PHX) to San Francisco (SFO) — Tue, Jun 20
American 686
Dep: 8:05 pm
Arr: 10:09 pm
2h 4m
Boeing 737
First (I)
Seattle (SEA) to Boston (BOS) — Tue, Jul 4

Seattle (SEA) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Tue, Jul 4
Alaska 1041
Dep: 6:15 am
Arr: 9:10 am
2h 55m
Boeing 737
Business (I)
Breakfast
Layover in LAX
1h 55m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Boston (BOS) — Tue, Jul 4
British Airways 4745
Dep: 11:05 am
Arr: 7:40 pm
5h 35m
Airbus A321 (Sharklets)
Business (I)
OPERATED BY AMERICAN
Boston (BOS) to Dublin (DUB) — Tue, Jul 4
Overnight flight

Boston (BOS) to London (LHR) — Tue, Jul 4
British Airways 202
Dep: 9:40 pm
6h 30m
Boeing 777
Business (I)
Meal
Layover in LHR
Wed, Jul 5
4h 0m

London (LHR) to Dublin (DUB) — Wed, Jul 5
British Airways 836
Dep: 1:10 pm
Arr: 2:40 pm
1h 30m
Airbus A319
Business (J)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
£1,461.64
Total cost for 2 passengers
£2,923.28

(I'd include a URL or photo but apparently I need to post 5 posts first!)
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by codinghands
Long time lurker, first time poster here - have been watching these threads for what feels like years and finally bit the bullet on the below itinerary (phone the BA Gold line, chose option 3 for 'something else', got through to a great agent in the Indian call centre who diligently took all the details, priced it up (at 2879.28 GBP, less than Matrix ITA), and didn't even mention the phone booking cost. Delighted! Club Suite for both transatlantic jaunts, and no overnights / long layovers. Thanks so much to the contributors in this thread for helping me get there!

Dublin (DUB) to New York (JFK) — Tue, Jun 20

Dublin (DUB) to London (LHR) — Tue, Jun 20
British Airways 833
Dep: 9:10 am
Arr: 10:40 am
1h 30m
Airbus A320
Business (J)
Meal
Layover in LHR
1h 0m

London (LHR) to New York (JFK) — Tue, Jun 20
British Airways 173
Dep: 11:40 am
Arr: 2:25 pm
7h 45m
Boeing 777
Business (I)
Meal
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) — Tue, Jun 20

New York (JFK) to Phoenix (PHX) — Tue, Jun 20
American 1587
Dep: 4:40 pm
Arr: 6:59 pm
5h 19m
Boeing 737MAX 8 Passenger
First (I)
Dinner
Layover in PHX
1h 6m

Phoenix (PHX) to San Francisco (SFO) — Tue, Jun 20
American 686
Dep: 8:05 pm
Arr: 10:09 pm
2h 4m
Boeing 737
First (I)
Seattle (SEA) to Boston (BOS) — Tue, Jul 4

Seattle (SEA) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Tue, Jul 4
Alaska 1041
Dep: 6:15 am
2h 55m
Boeing 737
Business (I)
Breakfast
Layover in LAX
1h 55m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Boston (BOS) — Tue, Jul 4
British Airways 4745
Dep: 11:05 am
Arr: 7:40 pm
5h 35m
Airbus A321 (Sharklets)
Business (I)
OPERATED BY AMERICAN
Boston (BOS) to Dublin (DUB) — Tue, Jul 4
Overnight flight

Boston (BOS) to London (LHR) — Tue, Jul 4
British Airways 202
Dep: 9:40 pm
6h 30m
Boeing 777
Business (I)
Meal
Layover in LHR
Wed, Jul 5
4h 0m

London (LHR) to Dublin (DUB) — Wed, Jul 5
British Airways 836
Dep: 1:10 pm
Arr: 2:40 pm
1h 30m
Airbus A319
Business (J)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
£1,461.64
Total cost for 2 passengers
£2,923.28

(I'd include a URL or photo but apparently I need to post 5 posts first!)
I make it 720 TPs and 35k Avios. Not bad and looks a comfortable itinerary.
flyerkit and codinghands like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
Tokyo last minute!

Can anyone help me with a last minute trip to Japan - we've been waiting on confirmation of the trip, and so haven't been able to book until now, and each time I find a great rate on google flights (I'm not great with ITA Matrix since the changes), it seems to price up differently when I go to book! Not helped by no BA flights and so many flight cancellations....

We are looking at Aug 31 (or 30) - Sept 14, either airport in Tokyo. Ex-Eu, from a country with no covid restrictions (not AMS as concerned how strict they are?), and there seem to be great rates via BUD. I found BUD - HEL - NRT on 31st, then NRT - HEL- FRA back on 14th, and it said it was £2854, but then when I followed through it went up to £3107, and then when you look at how to book it said, £3754! We had a similar problem yesterday with a CPG start and end (also via HEL) that ended up £1000 more than google flights was showing, and they day before! I'm not sure if this is a truly tier point run as ideally only the two sectors, but if I'm paying this amount, I'd love to be on Oneworld and try and earn some of those tier points to try and requalify next year!

Can anyone help me, I'd be so grateful as I can't understand why these flights don't stay at the under £3k price that was our limit....
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by jh321
Can anyone help me with a last minute trip to Japan - we've been waiting on confirmation of the trip, and so haven't been able to book until now, and each time I find a great rate on google flights (I'm not great with ITA Matrix since the changes), it seems to price up differently when I go to book! Not helped by no BA flights and so many flight cancellations....

We are looking at Aug 31 (or 30) - Sept 14, either airport in Tokyo. Ex-Eu, from a country with no covid restrictions (not AMS as concerned how strict they are?), and there seem to be great rates via BUD. I found BUD - HEL - NRT on 31st, then NRT - HEL- FRA back on 14th, and it said it was £2854, but then when I followed through it went up to £3107, and then when you look at how to book it said, £3754! We had a similar problem yesterday with a CPG start and end (also via HEL) that ended up £1000 more than google flights was showing, and they day before! I'm not sure if this is a truly tier point run as ideally only the two sectors, but if I'm paying this amount, I'd love to be on Oneworld and try and earn some of those tier points to try and requalify next year!

Can anyone help me, I'd be so grateful as I can't understand why these flights don't stay at the under £3k price that was our limit....
I'm getting 2.9K EUR (under 2.5K GBP) for 31.08-14.09 if you select the options below. Note on inbound that FRA-HEL and HEL-BUD are in Y, according to AY website. Expedia seems to book everything in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.