Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA crew (including Captain) not enforcing face mask rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA crew (including Captain) not enforcing face mask rules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by TheMan123
I personally think that if someone is exempt from wearing a mask, they should carry proof of this so that they can show it to anyone who challenges them about it.

so many people are getting away with saying they’re exempt and the staff can’t do anything about it. If someone says they’re exempt, there’s nothing else they can do really and it needs to change.

Masks are horrible to wear, but quite essential at these times.. especially when you’re in such close quarters like on an aircraft.
HMG doesn't seem to think so. The rules are there for all to see. If people don't like them, then they really shouldn't travel.
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KULKyle
I hope you are aware that in the UK somebody who is exempt does not have to wear a face mask, nor do they have to disclose the reason why or show proof of their condition. Think twice before criticizing and name and shaming people not wearing them, you do not know their reasons as to why.
Why would these people then wear them around their neck and not mention they are exempt?

Three individuals in the same party of three with medical conditions? Plus one of them tying her luck making herself comfortable in 1A? Nonsense.

Last edited by 81romeo; Jan 5, 2021 at 8:01 am
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:56 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheMan123
I personally think that if someone is exempt from wearing a mask, they should carry proof of this so that they can show it to anyone who challenges them about it.

so many people are getting away with saying they’re exempt and the staff can’t do anything about it. If someone says they’re exempt, there’s nothing else they can do really and it needs to change.

Masks are horrible to wear, but quite essential at these times.. especially when you’re in such close quarters like on an aircraft.
IIRC, in Germany exemption evidence must be shown if required and this evidence can only be granted by a doctor. It also cannot be for something that you claim to have only just developed since Covid restrictions were required. In other words, a medical exemption certificate cannot be granted because you "suddenly" decided you had become asthmatic etc. That weeds out the tryers and scammers
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
I'll save you the time....

Dear 81romeo,

We're sorry to hear you felt unsafe during your recent flight with is. We understand how frustrating this was, especially as you couldn't relax before your flight. This isn’t what you should expect of us, and we understand why you needed to complain.

Unfortunately, as a result of Covid-19, masks are compulsory onboard all our flights unless a passenger has a hidden disability. I'm sorry you weren't aware of this before you travelled.

I note you spoke with the Captain who reemphasised the point of our inflight lead. I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for.

Once again, please accept our apologies for your experience on this trip. We hope to welcome you back on board soon. If I can help with anything else, please contact me directly using the blue link below.

Best regards

Person XYZ
Thankfully complaints on some other airlines (eg. ME3) actually lead to action taken
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:59 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Why would they have to explain anything to you?
Well in a confined space with a stranger it is surely legitimate question to ask? Why....because a total stranger without a mask is a threat to others in the same close proximity. Why shouldn't someone ask another person, given HMG stipulations on wearing a mask?
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
Questions:
a) Why is BA not offloading pax who refuse to wear a mask. I couldn't care less about the impact on the passengers health, but I would care deeply about my health and those of other pasengers. Wearing a mask does not protect you, it protects others. BA have a duty of care and a duty to ensure compliance with the law. A month of offloading non-complying pax and the message would hit home!
b) Why were the Police not called? Quoting from the government's website "The police can take measures if members of the public do not comply with this law without a valid exemption and transport operators can deny access to their public transport services if a passenger is not wearing a face covering, or direct them to wear one or leave a service."
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...f%20%C2%A36400
c) would it be reasonable for a passenger to call the police (if an aircraft is on the ground) if the crew/captain fail to take action?
And this is the guidance from government re what transport workers can or cannot do if someone claims to be exempt:
Government and some operators have produced cards and badges which you can choose to wear to show you are exempt. There is no requirement to do this though, and if you rely on an exemption, transport staff should not ordinarily ask for evidence.

So as per BA policy if someone says they are exempt then that's as far as it can go, the crew cannot ask for proof, and would be wrong to offload This is different from someone being disruptive.

Personal experience when I challenge someone as crew they are suddenly exempt for health reasons even though they might have got through the terminal and on to the aircraft with a mask. Then it's stale mate.

Re: bans/ cancelling return flights etc this can happen and forms part of the warning letter potential outcomes but still cannot offload unless passenger became disruptive (thus then becomes a separate issue) . Incident form would be completed for mask compliabce and further investigation taken before course of action is taken in case the person is really exempt.

As said before a lot of crew are not happy with how relaxed the policy is but I suppose if government guidance is that transport workers should not ask for reasons, many passengers are aware of this too.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
The most common reason for someone claiming exemption from mask-wearing is breathing-related conditions.

In that case, they can wear a mask on their mouth (but not nose) and a face shield on top. This is what a fellow passenger on an AA LAX-PHL has worn, and I felt fully comfortable around him.

Most of the times, it is middle aged fit men who appear without face masks. Maybe they do have a genuine breathing condition, in which case they are welcome to follow my suggestion above.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KULKyle
I hope you are aware that in the UK somebody who is exempt does not have to wear a face mask, nor do they have to disclose the reason why or show proof of their condition. Think twice before criticizing and name and shaming people not wearing them, you do not know their reasons as to why.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
HMG says:

Exemption cards

If you have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering:
  • you do not routinely need to show any written evidence of this
  • you do not need show an exemption card
This means that you do not need to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about your reason for not wearing a face covering.

However, some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

So, the bottom line is that if you are going to travel ex-UK then you need to be prepared for this situation. Not sure what BA could have enforced here under the law but happy to have it pointed out for clarity.
To be fair, both the examples given by 81romeo and fdem described people wearing masks intermittently, not people not wearing them who may have been exempt from wearing them
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by BOH
Well in a confined space with a stranger it is surely legitimate question to ask? Why....because a total stranger without a mask is a threat to others in the same close proximity. Why shouldn't someone ask another person, given HMG stipulations on wearing a mask?
You miss the point completely. Let me make it as simple as possible. They can ask any question they like. With me so far? The point I made is this "Why would they have to explain anything to you?". You could ask me why I drunk so much before boarding. Or where am I going. Or what my favourite colour is. But, I don't have to explain anything to you. That's the point.

I've explained HMG's stance above. I'm sorry if it is not the answer you want.
bakera likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As far as I’m concerned if someone boards wearing a mask they are not exempt and should wear it properly if they refuse they are being disruptive and would be treated as so.
I am hearing so much about cabin crew about not being effective, is it because they do not have enough training and experience?

Last edited by Can I help you; Jan 5, 2021 at 8:40 am
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by hydro001
And this is the guidance from government re what transport workers can or cannot do if someone claims to be exempt:
Government and some operators have produced cards and badges which you can choose to wear to show you are exempt. There is no requirement to do this though, and if you rely on an exemption, transport staff should not ordinarily ask for evidence.

So as per BA policy if someone says they are exempt then that's as far as it can go, the crew cannot ask for proof, and would be wrong to offload This is different from someone being disruptive.

Personal experience when I challenge someone as crew they are suddenly exempt for health reasons even though they might have got through the terminal and on to the aircraft with a mask. Then it's stale mate.

Re: bans/ cancelling return flights etc this can happen and forms part of the warning letter potential outcomes but still cannot offload unless passenger became disruptive (thus then becomes a separate issue) . Incident form would be completed for mask compliabce and further investigation taken before course of action is taken in case the person is really exempt.

As said before a lot of crew are not happy with how relaxed the policy is but I suppose if government guidance is that transport workers should not ask for reasons, many passengers are aware of this too.
But its unlikely that a whole part of 3, as per the O/Ps case would all be exempt.... then surely its a case of which one of you is exempt, and why are the rest of you not following the rules...
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC
I do find the ‘exempt’ conservation an interesting juxtaposition.

Did one become exempt because in the last global pandemic wearing a mask caused them a problem?!

Oh wait we haven’t had a global pandemic on any such scale since the Spanish flu and most were not even a twinkle in someone’s eye. Ok, ok! I’m being facetious!

Now I fully understand some are genuinely exempt but I do think that the genuine amongst us are sadly discredited by a lot of people who abuse the legitimacy of such situations. Why? I do not know. Misinformation? Selfishness? Lack of respect? It’s a human behaviour conundrum.

Here in the U.K. another such issue is abused by people, blue badges for parking. Blue badges are for disabled people who genuinely need to park closer to or have some space to operate themselves. But people sadly abuse these badges and avoid having to adhere to the conformities that the majority endure. Not paying for parking I assume is the main scam there! It’s selfish and sad for the people who genuinely need to park in a disabled spot.

I’d like to understand the benefit of not wearing a mask whilst most others are? Does one feel better about ones self? More important? I refer to the non-genuine types!

I’m going off topic slightly but mask wearing for this very brief period in our lifetime should be treated seriously and with the greatest respect to our society as a whole. If you pop in to a supermarket for 10 mins, wear a mask, think of the staff who have to wear them for 40 hours a week! Same with crew. The least you can do is a few minutes or hours. Rant over.

Anyhow back on topic and as a data point crews on my only return flight so far since Covid hit, were excellent at communicating and enforcing said masks amongst their usual duties, even waking a passenger up to tell them to don their mask correctly.
fdem, 81romeo and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On arrival at CDG from CUN the other week, as we were all standing around waiting for the doors to open, one of the pilots came marching down the aisle and then kissed one of several upgraded cockpit honeys on the mouth.

Did I get upset? Nah. I found it quite amusing, and admired their temerity. It's also always nice to see that total corona paranoia has not yet afflicted everyone.

Johan
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:28 am
Suspended

You're overreacting. Relax and live life. Quit demonizing the non-mask wearing folks. You don't know their situation. They may have already had it (like me) and now have immunity for a while. If you are TRULY at risk, don't fly or leave your home. The rest of us want to go back to normal and know that statistically, it isn't going to come close to killing you. Plus, air circulation on a plane is top notch with HEPA filters -- believe the science.
bakera, SKT-DK, Silver Fox and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GBOAC
But its unlikely that a whole part of 3, as per the O/Ps case would all be exempt.... then surely its a case of which one of you is exempt, and why are the rest of you not following the rules...
I interpreted the OP's description that all three had worn them at some point, however briefly as he said "I went to the galley and politely asked the CSM to kindly ask 1C, 2D and 2F to wear their facemasks. So he did however facemasks stayed on their mouth and nose for less than 1 minute only."
81romeo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.