Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA crew (including Captain) not enforcing face mask rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA crew (including Captain) not enforcing face mask rules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Just imagine that all this mess could've been avoided if the scared people just worn a certified respirator protecting them, rather than kept relying on others to protect them.

I'll be blunt about this. You have no way to force me to protect you with my mask. Yes, in some circumstances you may force me to wear *something* on my face. But you will never have a full control of what it is. Back when I was in a location that required masks, I usually wore my single-use mask for a month or so. It was completely useless as it was dirty and wet, but it satisfied the requirement, since no one really knew how I treat it.

​​​I imagine most posters on this forum are adults. Take your own responsibility. You may force the rest to play your mask game, but you will lose at it.
bakera, lhrhappy and KULKyle like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bakera
we have taken the decision not to travel
I do not blame you at all - frankly it is all too much of a kerfuffle at the moment - frankly, given that this sort of possible scenario is waiting in the wings of any flight that one can take, I really cannot be bothered. I do not have to travel at this moment - I will return to the UK when it is my turn to have my inoculation and not before. Moreover I am not traveling to any country where I could fall sick and where a trip to hospital could be deadly or financially ruinous.
bakera and Misco60 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by the810
You have no way to force me to protect you with my mask.
Sometimes, emigrating to China or North Korea looks more appealing than living with some people.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Can we please stick to the topic at hand, rather than going off the original topic and veering into discussions on rights and wrongs of mask-wearing requirements and expectations of some people etc?

If we cannot gain EVERYONE's cooperation, then we will need to close this thread. In order to avoid that, please stay on topic.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You miss the point completely. Let me make it as simple as possible. They can ask any question they like. With me so far? The point I made is this "Why would they have to explain anything to you?". You could ask me why I drunk so much before boarding. Or where am I going. Or what my favourite colour is. But, I don't have to explain anything to you. That's the point.
There's a lot of point missing going on. @BOH's was that where well-being and, ultimately, lives are put at risk, it is legitimate to challenge the apparent violator of national guidelines creating that risk. That seems to me a reasonable proposition.

The challenge is not obligatory or enforceable, perhaps it wouldn't be sensible in many situations, but it's perfectly legitimate. Maybe it could be phrased in a less confrontational way, or shrouded in the offer of a mask. I'm sure in many situations the situation will be resolved by the violator donning a mask or or saying that he/she is exempt. That the violator is under no compulsion to answer the question is neither here nor there: the aim is to elicit a socially positive behaviour.

This isn't a high-horse I'm comfortable riding, but i see enquiry as perfectly legitimate.

The OP invited us to comment on a specific case, where the miscreants were apparently fine with face-covering in situations that suited them, or when challenged by authority figures. Tha suggests they had no stronger grounds to claim exemption than the man in the moon.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I've explained HMG's stance above. I'm sorry if it is not the answer you want.

Where a government relies on common sense and social cohesion to promote compliance with guidance and regulations to protect lives, then confrontation as an extreme manifestation of social pressure can be expected.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Sometimes, emigrating to China or North Korea looks more appealing than living with some people.
Please do that rather than trying to turn Europe into China or North Korea.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:23 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Can we please stick to the topic at hand, rather than going off the original topic and veering into discussions on rights and wrongs of mask-wearing requirements and expectations of some people etc?

If we cannot gain EVERYONE's cooperation, then we will need to close this thread. In order to avoid that, please stay on topic.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Well, you were warned. Thread closed.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.