Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA crew (including Captain) not enforcing face mask rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA crew (including Captain) not enforcing face mask rules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:31 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by destone
The most common reason for someone claiming exemption from mask-wearing is breathing-related conditions.

In that case, they can wear a mask on their mouth (but not nose) and a face shield on top. This is what a fellow passenger on an AA LAX-PHL has worn, and I felt fully comfortable around him.

Most of the times, it is middle aged fit men who appear without face masks. Maybe they do have a genuine breathing condition, in which case they are welcome to follow my suggestion above.
I have a close friend who is an asthmatic (enough of one to get the government letter for the vulnerable and even had free food parcels delivered for those considered vulnerable). She does clearly struggle with a mask but ALWAYS wears one whenever she does have to go out because, "it is not about me, it about protecting others from me in case I have it and don't know it". She also has a great quip if someone says anything about her difficulty with the mask......"I may struggle with just the mask but I know I'll struggle even more with a ventilator"
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:35 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You miss the point completely. Let me make it as simple as possible. They can ask any question they like. With me so far? The point I made is this "Why would they have to explain anything to you?". You could ask me why I drunk so much before boarding. Or where am I going. Or what my favourite colour is. But, I don't have to explain anything to you. That's the point.

I've explained HMG's stance above. I'm sorry if it is not the answer you want.
Oh dear
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FriscoHeavy
You're overreacting. Relax and live life. Quit demonizing the non-mask wearing folks. You don't know their situation. They may have already had it (like me) and now have immunity for a while. If you are TRULY at risk, don't fly or leave your home. The rest of us want to go back to normal and know that statistically, it isn't going to come close to killing you. Plus, air circulation on a plane is top notch with HEPA filters -- believe the science.
The guidelines are there for a reason, if people are blatently ignoring them why shouldn't they be called on it? NB: If someone's exempt then they're exempt, I'm not disputing that. There's some interesting studies on transmission whilst travelling, like this one of the Emirates flight from Dubai to Aukland
GUWonder and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
The most common reason for someone claiming exemption from mask-wearing is breathing-related conditions.

In that case, they can wear a mask on their mouth (but not nose) and a face shield on top. This is what a fellow passenger on an AA LAX-PHL has worn, and I felt fully comfortable around him.

Most of the times, it is middle aged fit men who appear without face masks. Maybe they do have a genuine breathing condition, in which case they are welcome to follow my suggestion above.
Yet another generalisation!

This is exactly the reason why people with hidden disabilities should not be ask to prove them. In the case of myself and Mrs. B, I wear a mask in all enclosed public spaces - Mrs. B. does not. Mrs. B. has a birth defect (cleft pallet) which prevents her breathing through her nose at all. She has to sleep with her mouth open. She is unable to wear any mouth covering. When we go to the supermarket she wears a lanyard to inform other people that she has a hidden disability. The gerenal public seem to accept that.
We could fly as Mrs. B. does have a valid exemption, however a number of airlines (BA excluded) are asking for a doctors letter confirming the exemption. In England GP's have been adviced by their unions that they are not to issue any such letters no matter what the condition may be for fear of been held accountable for providing "expert advice".
We've actually made the concious decision not to fly as sitting in a plane full of people wearing masks reminds Mrs. B. too much of all the hospital stays that she had in her youth - so until masks are a thing of the past, so are our travels.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:06 am
BOH

Originally Posted by bakera

In England GP's have been adviced by their unions that they are not to issue any such letters no matter what the condition may be for fear of been held accountable for providing "expert advice".
That makes me want to tear my hair out!! This country has lost all perspective on things, no one will take clear actions for fear of being held "accountable" for it and then some no-win no-fee lawyer will be sniffing round looking for tens of thousands of pounds of compo. This is probably the real reason BA will not enforce mask wearing for the common good of 99.9% of flyers.....for fear of someone suing them for some bizarre and weird accusation of discrimination of this or that, a racism accusation or anti this group or anti that.

Sadly the thought of getting a bit of compo at little risk is just too appealing for some....and we all pay the price for that. My sis is a Manager of one of the big supermarket chains and she said this is the main reason why they don't enforce mask wearing....for fear of being accused of discrimination, even it was a genuine mistake by the employee. It is why the supermarkets were very effective at enforcing the max number of people in store during lockdown 1.......because it is a simple hard maximum number to enforce and when full, one out, one in cannot possibly ever be accused of any discrimination. But mask wearing (when some are exempt) is a whole new ball game.

We all pay the price for this, seemingly more so than other countries. Probably why (I am told) LH and SK do strictly enforce it but BA don't. If there were no exceptions under any circumstances (like seatbelt wearing, seat back upright etc) then it probably be enforced.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:23 am

You're overreacting. Relax and live life. Quit demonizing the non-mask wearing folks. You don't know their situation. They may have already had it (like me) and now have immunity for a while. If you are TRULY at risk, don't fly or leave your home. The rest of us want to go back to normal and know that statistically, it isn't going to come close to killing you. Plus, air circulation on a plane is top notch with HEPA filters -- believe the science.
Additionally, unless you're willing to forego eating and drinking for the entire flight, you'll have to remove your mask.

And at that point, you're murdering grandma, just like those unwashed non-elites who attempted to steal 1A from you.
bakera, Silver Fox and KULKyle like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:32 am
BOH

Does already having had Covid provide you with a legitimate and valid reason (according to the latest HMG guidelines) to not wear a mask then? Asking for a friend...
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Additionally, unless you're willing to forego eating and drinking for the entire flight, you'll have to remove your mask.

And at that point, you're murdering grandma, just like those unwashed non-elites who attempted to steal 1A from you.
It'd be rude to talk while you're eating with an open mouth. Eating does not carry the same Covid-transmission risk as talking (not to mention coughing or sneezing).
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Does already having had Covid provide you with a legitimate and valid reason (according to the latest HMG guidelines) to not wear a mask then? Asking for a friend...
No.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
you're murdering grandma, just like those unwashed non-elites who attempted to steal 1A from you.

Moderators this is now getting too much, thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by bakera

This is exactly the reason why people with hidden disabilities should not be ask to prove them. In the case of myself and Mrs. B, I wear a mask in all enclosed public spaces - Mrs. B. does not. Mrs. B. has a birth defect (cleft pallet) which prevents her breathing through her nose at all. She has to sleep with her mouth open. She is unable to wear any mouth covering. When we go to the supermarket she wears a lanyard to inform other people that she has a hidden disability. The gerenal public seem to accept that.
We could fly as Mrs. B. does have a valid exemption, however a number of airlines (BA excluded) are asking for a doctors letter confirming the exemption. In England GP's have been adviced by their unions that they are not to issue any such letters no matter what the condition may be for fear of been held accountable for providing "expert advice".
We've actually made the concious decision not to fly as sitting in a plane full of people wearing masks reminds Mrs. B. too much of all the hospital stays that she had in her youth - so until masks are a thing of the past, so are our travels.
As I outlined in my previous post, a face shield may be an acceptable alternative in this particular case.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BOH
That makes me want to tear my hair out!!.
Honey - save your pain! bakera About which union are you speaking? I know of at least two people from two separate GPs who have letters confirming their chronic condition. If they are asthmatic (amongst other conditions) they can be exempt. I'm asking as I am curious.

We were asked for our opinions on what to do in a particular situation and this I have done. I am not going down the path of the amorality, irresponsibility or the potential criminality of mask wearing in general. Moreover as this is being read at a time when it is a bit late for tea and a bit early for Gin, I will leave it to you all as they remind me too strongly of a sort of A-level English question about The Scottish Play. Macbeth pleads with the three Hags or is it Lady Macbeth and her Ugly Sisters. Discuss
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by 81romeo
Moderators this is now getting too much, thanks.
If they give me two warnings and then don't take any further action, will you complain to BA about it?
KULKyle likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
bakera About which union are you speaking? I know of at least two people from two separate GPs who have letters confirming their chronic condition. If they are asthmatic (amongst other conditions) they can be exempt. I'm asking as I am curious.
You're correct in that they will give a letter stating the condition, but they will not offer an opinion as to whether the condition makes them exempt to wearing a mask.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:55 am

As I outlined in my previous post, a face shield may be an acceptable alternative in this particular case.
Get a life!

As mentioned in my previous post we have taken the decision not to travel - so you wont have to put up with us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.