Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by tlott
I used the online process to begin an EC261 delay claim.

8 Feb - Case opened
18 Feb - "we're on the case" automated email
9 Mar - "sorry you're still waiting" automated email

I sent a follow up message via the website and also DM'd BA on twitter about 3 weeks ago for an update. No reply.

Any other clues on how to escalate this? From other replies here, this timing does not seem normal. Can I open a CEDR case if BA continues to ignore me?

Thanks.
After 8 weeks have elapsed.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jmr1190
They didn’t specifically use that phrase, but they were pretty unequivocally repeating that after having checked again, they reaffirmed their stance:

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to delay flight, BA2595, on 02 April' 2022. I understand this is something you feel strongly about and I appreciate why you're unhappy with our previous reply.

I’ve had another look at your claim for compensation and I’ve taken time to make sure our response is accurate and up-to-date. Based on this, our decision hasn’t changed and the response you’ve received about the eligibility of your EU compensation claim are correct.
The highlighted phrase is what I was looking for, so you're good to go to CEDR without further waiting.
jmr1190 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Member

BA have today emailed and cancelled our NCL to LHR flight on the 27th April at 3:10pm. Rebooking options are an earlier 11:40 or later 8:30pm departures.

As the cancellation is within 2 weeks, am I right that I am entitled to compensation since the times offered for rerouting are greater than 2hrs before departure as per article 5.1cii?

Frankly for me BA really have become the pits. They are nolonger trustworthy as an airline and I have been let down too many times with them. I was expecting the email which I should not have been if I had had confidence in them.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tim_T
BA have today emailed and cancelled our NCL to LHR flight on the 27th April at 3:10pm. Rebooking options are an earlier 11:40 or later 8:30pm departures.
Yes if less than 2 weeks notice then this is on the hook for compensation. Or of course you could cancel for a full refund if there are easier options. If it was just to LHR then you potentially would get £110 for the early departure.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Similar for me, cancellation for MAN in 8 days time for a flight at 1400. Alternatives were 0905 which was to early, or a long wait until 1655. In the end I moved dates and used this booking for another trip, and instead will get the train home. Claim will be going in for EC261.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:00 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes if less than 2 weeks notice then this is on the hook for compensation. Or of course you could cancel for a full refund if there are easier options. If it was just to LHR then you potentially would get £110 for the early departure.
if I take the cancellation option, noting this was booked with Avios so I would not get much cash back, do I still get compensation since the rerouting options offered were outside of the required timeframe? Reading the rules it appears that I do? I’m trying to work out if I will get enough compensation + refund + cancelled parking, to pay for the train ticket.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim_T
if I take the cancellation option, noting this was booked with Avios so I would not get much cash back, do I still get compensation since the rerouting options offered were outside of the required timeframe? Reading the rules it appears that I do? I’m trying to work out if I will get enough compensation + refund + cancelled parking, to pay for the train ticket.
Yes, your reading aligns with my reading.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Thanks CWS, great to confirm my understanding. I might pop a complaint to CAA as well given the email did not state the reasons for cancellation, my rights to compensation, and misleading information regarding not being able to claim expenses, as legally required.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I was also supposed to be on this flight, arriving at LHR at 1645, only offered the late departure arriving 2140.

If I get BA to put me on the EDI flight instead, arriving at 1910, would compensation still be payable?

Thank you
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I was also supposed to be on this flight, arriving at LHR at 1645, only offered the late departure arriving 2140.

If I get BA to put me on the EDI flight instead, arriving at 1910, would compensation still be payable?
Actually I don't know. But it's difficult to argue that you were delayed 3 hours getting into London when you were not. You could cancel, get the refund and compensation but separately rebook.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Actually I don't know. But it's difficult to argue that you were delayed 3 hours getting into London when you were not. You could cancel, get the refund and compensation but separately rebook.
Isn't it two hours for a flight under 1500Km with a cancellation under 14 days?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Isn't it two hours for a flight under 1500Km with a cancellation under 14 days?
Under 7 days, if we are dealing with a late arrival. For 7 to 14 days it's 4 hours, but there is a general delay protection at 3 hours.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:05 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
BA today cancelled my flight for next week to Zagreb (25th) and moved me to a flight 7 hours earlier. I assume I am entitled to 250 euros compensation. I've asked for a refund now so is it still possible? Thanks

Last edited by PxC; Apr 16, 2022 at 8:18 pm
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aviosasw
How long have people been having to wait to hear from BA after submitting a claim?
Claim submitted 26th February. Not a peep out of BA. It’s appalling and utterly frustrating that they are still getting away with this
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:56 am

Wondering if anyone can help me with this?
had flight cancelled next sunday evening BA783 ARN-LHR
they cancelled yesterday so 8 days notice

i was booked on the last one of the night at 2110-

only rebooking options on the day is at 11 am which is no use to me

so following day is 0750 or 1540
i’m entitled to a hotel for the sunday night to claim back is that right?

also, if i decided to take the 1540 flight vice 0750, would i still be entitled to the compensation? Got a call the next morning which prevents me being in the air then if i can help it - just worried they would say i flew later than the first possible option (even though that was 10 hours later)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.