Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thomasd21
Appreciate the note re pedantry but it’s important. They’re either the same standard guidelines or they’re not. And if they’re not, then why not.
they are standard for trade customers, and also standard really means always applies in that context rather than standard for other subsets of customers.

in the last two years we have had lots of non-standard policies created for the pandemic and only applying for a short period, such as the ability to rebook at no cost up to ticket validity. events such as weather disruption may also result in creation of short term, time limited, non-standard policies.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:06 am

To underline my other points, here is an example that has happened today.. look at the responses the agents are giving to this poor soul that can’t get home from BSL. Was due to fly today and being told they can’t rebook him until 13th even though other airline options are available. This is exactly what I mean, it’s disgusting and a massive breach of law
There is a rebooking policy for LH group in force atm. The OP in that situation was incorrectly advised by the agent.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by KARFA
they are standard for trade customers, and also standard really means always applies in that context rather than standard for other subsets of customers.

in the last two years we have had lots of non-standard policies created for the pandemic and only applying for a short period, such as the ability to rebook at no cost up to ticket validity. events such as weather disruption may also result in creation of short term, time limited, non-standard policies.
Ok, so we can assume then (given trade bookings don’t have more flexibility), that the standard non-trade guidelines are at least as flexible as the trade ones. Got it
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
There is a rebooking policy for LH group in force atm. The OP in that situation was incorrectly advised by the agent.
I know that, my point is that the agents are getting it wrong time after time, with actual real world consequences for real people. And there’s no recourse for them whatsoever. What’s more, given the flight was cancelled within 24 hours, he’s entitled to fly on any airline that BA has an interline policy with
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Qatar Privilege Silver, Club Accor Platinum, IHG Gold
Advise needed.
I had a series of legs in a booking mid 2020, after rerouting/rebooking and then the rebooked flights cancelled and countries closing borders, I applied for a FTV.
I had several other flights cancelled and FTV's provided from both BA and Qatar, and the vouchers was usually provided reasonably promptly.
However for this booking a FTV voucher was never provided. I emailed customer services several times a generic response but no follow up.
I eventually complained to BA via the online form, in February 2022, this is the response.

"I’m sorry you had problems trying to get an eVoucher issued for your cancelled flights from London, especially as you've contacted us several times about this. This isn’t what you should expect of us, and we understand why you needed to let us know about it. We’d also like to thank you for your patience while we got back to you.
Here in Customer Relations we're unable to assist with refund queries. I've sent a request to our Refunds team to see if it's possible to have a refund rather than a voucher. If this can be done, the refund will be returned to the card originally used for payment. Currently, refunds are taking up to 28 days to process. As your original booking reference was no longer live in our reservations system, the information has been transferred to booking reference XXXXX.
I've fully logged your comments and observations. Feedback, such as this helps us to learn where improvements can be made to the overall service we're able to provide. I know the relevant management will value your insight.
Once again, please accept our apologies for your experience when trying to have an eVoucher issued. We value your support as a Gold Executive Club member and we hope to welcome you back on board soon. If I can help with anything else, please contact me directly using the blue link below.

Best regards
Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx
British Airways Customer Relations Executive
Your case reference is:XXXXX"

However this has also fallen into a black hole, and after several months an email to customer services requesting a status update only results in a generic email saying that the refunds team is responsible and customer services cannot help me.

What is my next step? is there a way to contact someone in the refunds team?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:04 am

I'm due to fly from BSL this week. If my flight is cancelled, my plan is to make one call to BA and if I get bad advice or (more likely) they don't bother answering, I'll buy my way out of the problem (probably train to ZRH, hotel for the night, flight the next morning on LH) and invoice BA. And then MCOL if they don't quickly pay up.

I'm not wasting time arguing with BA staff who make up rules when they don't know the proper answer any more. Did it once, ended up wasting loads of time getting someone on Twitter to sort out the issue. Not again.

It didn't use to be like this. A few years ago when weather cancelled my LHR-BSL flight at very short notice, the check-in staff at LHR T5 booked me on a KLM flight (via AMS) that left only 20 minutes later than the cancelled BA one.
thomasd21 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Time to get AMEX 2-4-1 and Avios re-credit

I might need to cancel an AMEX 2-4-1 avios redemption for this October. Does MMB for these type of cancellations work okay these days and any experience recently how long it takes to get avios and voucher recredited to BA account and cash back to my credit card?

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BA
I dont have a cancellation query on services.
I have booked some flights between London and Manchester and all of the options were cheaper from Gatwick than LHR.
Is this something that is noticeable on other routes and are they just trying to discourage any more bookings from LHR for the rest of the summer?
I prefer to use BA due to my location but Gatwick is just as doable and has a lounge. There are also other other decent airlines from Gatwick.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by tedmak
I have booked some flights between London and Manchester and all of the options were cheaper from Gatwick than LHR.
Is this something that is noticeable on other routes and are they just trying to discourage any more bookings from LHR for the rest of the summer?
I prefer to use BA due to my location but Gatwick is just as doable and has a lounge. There are also other other decent airlines from Gatwick.
generally that LGW route for MAN is a lot less busy than the LHR flights so usually cheaper selling classes are available. most of my LHR MAN flights recently have been packed, and this is partly due to cancellations.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I travel the same route and have booked some LGW-MAN flights as noticeably lower price. However, I understand that BA have decided to cancel the route from October, so much for levelling up...
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:55 am

Thank you for the reply and explanation. Just one follow up: you mention that the trade support guidelines are not meant for general pax consumption, but: surely they’re the exact same guidelines (the standard customer guidelines) as those used for general pax, save all the gumph about IATA codes etc.? The word standard suggests that to be the case?

Sorry ive maybe not been clear enough. My point was the specific wording isnt meant for the general public to read, hence why when you read it you misinterpreted part of it.
thomasd21 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:21 am

When are BA likely to start cancelling and informing passengers on October flights or have they already started the process?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The other factor is the LGW's airport use charge, which is buried into ticket prices, is somewhat lower than LHR. Probably not noticeable on higher fares, but on routes such as LGW-JFK the two factors combine to make LGW a more attractive offer. LGW is £17.12 per passenger, LHR is £22.07. LCY is a whopping £38.96.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:06 am

generally that LGW route for MAN is a lot less busy than the LHR flights so usually cheaper selling classes are available. most of my LHR MAN flights recently have been packed, and this is partly due to cancellations.
Makes intuitive sense what you are saying. LHR/Manchester is a route for Northern part of the UK to connect to Heathrow and onwards. Makes sense not to 'waste' the seat on a short cheap fligh.
Never seen the difference so marked, though. All the way out to the end of Sep. Hope LHR will be moving smoothly by then.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by ademanuele
I travel the same route and have booked some LGW-MAN flights as noticeably lower price. However, I understand that BA have decided to cancel the route from October, so much for levelling up...
Where did you see that about cancellation?
I have just checked the BA website and the Gatwick flight is once per day during October.
Nothing at all after that.
I seem to find out more about BA's 'plans' on here and following a couple of accounts on twitter than I do from the company.
Is poor communication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.