Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Just want to check what my options should be before contacting BA tomorrow.

We have flights that originate from LHR but on the return connect via LHR to MAN and the morning LHR-MAN has just been cancelled which causes issues. It also seems there are no morning flights LHR-MAN to move to (I assume due to Heathrow's demands on passenger numbers). Have we any ability to request to be moved to different long haul flights a few days either side (there is limited seat availability) or is our only option to end in LHR now and find our own way back to Manchester? One long haul is in Business the other First and the Manchester flights both in Business, but I assume that wont make any difference to the options.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A cancellation - as standard - allows flights to be moved by -3 to +14 days, so you can move the longhaul. Tomorrow MMB may allow you to do this yourself. Or just take the train and charge BA for the train ticket. I don't think you need to call BA over that option.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A cancellation - as standard - allows flights to be moved by -3 to +14 days, so you can move the longhaul. Tomorrow MMB may allow you to do this yourself. Or just take the train and charge BA for the train ticket. I don't think you need to call BA over that option.
As always thank you for such a quick and informative reply. Superstar!
Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:21 pm

Had my NCL - LHR portion cancelled today for October booking to YYZ which was a blessing in disguise since I could no longer make the overall trip so was able to cancel the booking for a full refund. I’d used Avios as part of the booking. How long does it usually take for those to be refunded back to my account?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by analogueman
Had my NCL - LHR portion cancelled today for October booking to YYZ which was a blessing in disguise since I could no longer make the overall trip so was able to cancel the booking for a full refund. I’d used Avios as part of the booking. How long does it usually take for those to be refunded back to my account?
Because it's a cancellation by BA then you should get it back within 3 weeks or so. But keep an eye on this since at one point BA were refunding against the original commercial fare, so no Avios back, but more cash then you originally paid.
analogueman likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Original Flight:
LHR - MUC - 29 AUG
MUC - LHR - 31 AUG 20:20 PM (Sunday) CANCELLED

This is now removed from schedule. I have not been protected on a flight by the OTA (AMEX Travel).

Contacting them for rebooking, given 10:55AM Monday BA flight as an option . . . smack bang in the morning meeting blocks for work

Can I reach out to BA and request rebooking on another oneworld, either via MAD or HEL? i.e.

Munich (MUC) to Helsinki (HEL) on Mon, Aug 1
6:50 PM to 10:15 PM (2h 25m)
Finnair 1406
Airbus A320
Economy (M)
LAYOVER IN HEL (9H 45M)

Helsinki (HEL) to London (LHR) on Tue, Aug 2
8:00 AM to 9:10 AM (3h 10m)
Finnair 1331
Airbus A350
Economy (M)
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You need to work with your TA, BA won't touch this unfortunately.

Amex can rebook as per BA policies, so LH should be available for you.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

Yes call Amex to discuss. They're very used to rebooking within the constraints of the BA rebooking policy which to be fair is quite liberal compared to some airlines and will include the AY flights you've identified.
Most passengers would baulk at this alternative so it's not unsurprising it wasnt proactively offered to you. 99.9% of passengers would be looking to secure direct service.

BA usually reprotects passengers onto an alternative service. In this latest wave there has been no reprotection offered so everything is very much geared around the passenger identifying what outcome they'd prefer, be that a reprotect or a refund.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ledcran02
Have a flight SFO-LHR Thursday, but got this message from BA via email: "Potential service disruption may affect your journey" allowing free flight changes. Checked MMB and can rebook to other flights/days out of SFO. My Q is whether it's possible via ringing up to change the departure airport as well as the day, so I can fly out of SJC-LHR tonight (Wednesday) - without incurring fees etc?
I'm on 286 (7:25 pm departure) tomorrow. Both BA flights out of SFO were cancelled today. The A380 landed earlier this afternoon, but for some reason 286 got cancelled today. Maybe crew staffing problems, maybe mechanical -- who knows?

Good luck to us.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Duty of care question

Our original flight back to London on a BA Holiday was due to leave at 09:40 but was cancelled by BA (more than 14 days in advance). BAH originally tried to put us on an earlier flight leaving at around 1am but I pointed out we'd lose our sleep in a hotel we'd paid for and so agreed to put us on a flight leaving tonight. This might seem cheeky but does duty of care apply here and if so will BA / BAH pay late check out fees / extra food? This might be a significant amount given where we are staying. If so, do I claim directly against BA rather than BAH?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: QF Gold

TY!
awesome, was expecting a call back at 0700 but haven't had one (I was on with AMEX Australia at 0100 this morning). It hasn't come but they were in queue with BA.

LH isn't that attractive, I'm just going to scrape in to requalify this year. So the TPs are needed

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Yes call Amex to discuss. They're very used to rebooking within the constraints of the BA rebooking policy which to be fair is quite liberal compared to some airlines and will include the AY flights you've identified.
Most passengers would baulk at this alternative so it's not unsurprising it wasnt proactively offered to you. 99.9% of passengers would be looking to secure direct service.
TY!
Sounds good! From what I read above it seems the policy calls out IB is explicitly allowed. So might ask for that if AY gets knocked back.

Edit:
Thank you for contacting American Express Travel Online about your flight rebooking request due to schedule change. Please find the below recommended flights by British Airways. OPTION 1:Tue, 2 Aug - Lufthansa 2482 - Economy - 2h 0mDeparting: Munich Airport (MUC) at 7:45 pmArriving: London Heathrow Airport (LHR) at 8:45 pm OPTION 2:Tue, 2 Aug - Lufthansa 2470 - Economy - 2h 0mDeparting: Munich Airport (MUC) at 7:15 amArriving: London Heathrow Airport (LHR) at 8:15 am
:-( looks like no AY.
No priority airport security
no loungeNo TP :-(
And 8kg hard limit
​​​​​​
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Does the BA agreement with LH include LX and Edelweiss Air?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by firstlight
Our original flight back to London on a BA Holiday was due to leave at 09:40 but was cancelled by BA (more than 14 days in advance). BAH originally tried to put us on an earlier flight leaving at around 1am but I pointed out we'd lose our sleep in a hotel we'd paid for and so agreed to put us on a flight leaving tonight. This might seem cheeky but does duty of care apply here and if so will BA / BAH pay late check out fees / extra food? This might be a significant amount given where we are staying. If so, do I claim directly against BA rather than BAH?
Yes, it applies. Submit a claim, and remind them that you’re not complaining for compensation, but for duty of care (the conveniently confuse the two). Any reasonable expenses that you’ve incurred on refreshments, accommodation or travel are covered, plus other things like phone calls, internet usage and some other seldom used random ones
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thomasd21
Does the BA agreement with LH include LX and Edelweiss Air?
It is any LH/OS/LX operated prime flights, and includes LH CityLine (CL).
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:21 am

1) If you booked a trip before 8 June 2022 and it only included travel up to end of September 2022, and you haven't made any voluntary changes since 8 June 2022, then your booking should be covered by BWC. You can voluntarily choose to cancel to get a FTV which may be a online evoucher one. If your booking is not covered by BWC then any voluntary cancellation would be based on fare rules, so if it is a non-refundable fare you would only get back some taxes and fees.

Obviously if any flight on your booking get's cancelled you are entitled to a full refund back to your payment card.

2) If covered by BWC then there is no change fee but you will be liable for any fare difference between what you originally paid and what the new booking costs.

3) If covered by BWC you should request an FTV for a reward booking. Rather than getting a voucher you will just get everything refunded. Just go straight to the FTV page rather than via MMB https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn
This is extremely helpful, thank you very much KARFA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.