Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SirAlfonso
Even if some of the underlying evouchers used Avios as part pay? Would they refund the total value of the cancelled flight as cash, or would they go back and work out the Avios used and refund those plus the cash?
a part pay with avios booking when FTV’ed is usually a cash FTV with no avios held on it. Effectively you get a cash FTV for the cash value of the booking prior to the reduction using avios. So you shouldn’t have FTVs from part pay bookings with cash and avios on them.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
a part pay with avios booking when FTV’ed is usually a cash FTV with no avios held on it. Effectively you get a cash FTV for the cash value of the booking prior to the reduction using avios. So you shouldn’t have FTVs from part pay bookings with cash and avios on them.
Thank you.

Further to this, is it possible to request a refund in Avios from an involuntary cancellation booked using an evoucher and a few £s? The guy on live chat said no but I know they’re not always right.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SirAlfonso
Thank you.

Further to this, is it possible to request a refund in Avios from an involuntary cancellation booked using an evoucher and a few £s? The guy on live chat said no but I know they’re not always right.
the only thing you can do is this where for a cancelled booking you can take avios instead of a cash refund AVIOS refund instead of cash (for cash booking)
Old Aug 31, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
How long should it take for a ticket to be reissued? Cash + avios for $$$ off fare.

Original flights booked via BA for October. BA ticketed/ AA operated flights JFK -> MIA -> MAD/MAD -> JFK -> DCA
Called in to BA on 23 Aug, and was able to change flights to near end of September for no change in fare, no change in booking reference number, and no phone fee (something about refunding, then rebooking on their end) . Simple flight change, same destination: BA ticketed/ AA operated - DCA -> JFK -> MAD/MAD -> JFK -> DCA

I was told they were busy, and it could take a bit to get the ticket reissued. I was able to select seats on the AA site, too. I keep checking on the BA app, and BA site, and while my flights show up correctly with date/time, there is not a ticket number. I have not received an updated receipt either. When should I start worrying or call to check on this?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I booked a roundtrip business class flight about a month ago LAS -> LHR -> MAD -> LHR -> LAS, and the LAS -> LHR legs have been cancelled. It looks like I have the option to rebook at no additional cost, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the selection criteria for replacement flights are -- is it restrained to flights with availability in the same fare class?

There's a bizarre subset of the actual flights available, and there's a variety of combinations of flights that the online engine won't let me select. I'd like to change my flight to new travel dates, so it'd be great if I had a headstart on figuring out what new flights they might be willing to let me take, especially with the super long wait times on the phone...
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by morphogencc
I booked a roundtrip business class flight about a month ago LAS -> LHR -> MAD -> LHR -> LAS, and the LAS -> LHR legs have been cancelled. It looks like I have the option to rebook at no additional cost, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the selection criteria for replacement flights are -- is it restrained to flights with availability in the same fare class?

There's a bizarre subset of the actual flights available, and there's a variety of combinations of flights that the online engine won't let me select. I'd like to change my flight to new travel dates, so it'd be great if I had a headstart on figuring out what new flights they might be willing to let me take, especially with the super long wait times on the phone...
You could fly out of SAN, LAX, or PHX so long as any business class seats are available.
morphogencc likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 3:50 am

I have a LHR-FAO CE return booked for next week, both legs of which have been cancelled (even though they are still flying there). In MMB it is allowing me to rebook pretty much whenever I like. However, I don't know at the moment when I wish to travel. I would like to keep the booking active as it was a very good price. My question is, if I do nothing will I still be able to rebook even after the dates of the cancelled flights has passed?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
thats odd - because i was told that it was released on Friday midday.
Well I called back about another booking today, and am now being told it's 12 months from the cancelled flight or thereabouts. Changed one flight that was due to expire ticket wise in early Oct to mid next year and have another primed for re-issue when I can sort the dates out.

HUACA alive and well....
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Well I called back about another booking today, and am now being told it's 12 months from the cancelled flight or thereabouts. Changed one flight that was due to expire ticket wise in early Oct to mid next year and have another primed for re-issue when I can sort the dates out.

HUACA alive and well....

gosh. that's like the 4th different version I got from like 6 agents.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by robinfriday
I have a LHR-FAO CE return booked for next week, both legs of which have been cancelled (even though they are still flying there). In MMB it is allowing me to rebook pretty much whenever I like. However, I don't know at the moment when I wish to travel. I would like to keep the booking active as it was a very good price. My question is, if I do nothing will I still be able to rebook even after the dates of the cancelled flights has passed?
Well, there were some examples upthread a long time ago where agents seemed to be saying that you need to make a decision before the first flight. Now my experience is that not all FTers give all details, so there may have been some unstated other factor involved. But generally if the first sector is cancelled then you are OK to wait, just make a careful note of PNR and ticket number, and be careful of the ticking clock. It's more problematic if the last sector is cancelled and everything else is running, in which case I would ring up and ask for the living sectors to be made into ghost sectors. Usual thing about "maybe bookings" goes here.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 5:28 am

Thanks for the quick response. I've got a few more days to decide!!
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:16 am

Live Chat update
Tried to connect just now - passed over my details and then -
  • Just a moment while I connect you to a customer support expert – it may take a couple of minutes for us to read through your query. Just so you know, we’re not currently able to process payments over live chat.
  • Unfortunately, there are no agents available at the moment. Please try again during our business hours.

tried again and live chat connected number 90 in line -
now down to 45 after about twenty minutes
It's now 15.21 and my flight problems are all resolved.

Last edited by smokeyone; Sep 1, 2021 at 8:22 am Reason: update
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Petroleum, BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
On Thursday (26th), I was told it was strictly 12 months from ticket purchase date.

It would be nice if this is documented somewhere on the BA travel/trade site etc.
I have an October family booking to Florida and called up today to see if I can rebook to October 22 due to cancelled flight. I was advised it was from ticketed date for 1 calendar year. Feb 22 in my case. I respectfully said I thought it had changed to 12m from flight date, went on hold and came back to say procedures are changing in the next 10-15 days and call back towards end of the month. Who knows,
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Has anyone received a refund for an involuntarily cancelled BA Holiday that they partially paid for with FTVs and evouchers, but paid the deposit for on a credit card? I’m wondering if they would refund the total amount to your credit card, or you would receive a mixture of cash refund and vouchers.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
What's the situation here?

Got a couple of SOF-USA runs in place.
​BA have either cancelled the LHR-SOF / SOF-LHR sectors or changed them to a day before the USA-LHR / LHR-USA flights.

Happy to fly the ex-LHR flights (assuming I can get into the US) and may take the 160TP hit on losing the SOF flights.
What bothers me is that the original bookings were priced to include the SOF flights, and now I'm not getting them (well, unless all the other flights are shifted back a day).

Any comeback here?
I.e. not necessarily financial, but could I add say flights in and out of another airport, perhaps in the UK?
Suppose there is the option of looking to see if anything similar (and price wise) might be available in the future and take a FTV to use against that.

Last edited by xenole; Sep 1, 2021 at 11:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.