Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RG1X
Posted this in its own thread, but didn't really get much in the way of answers. Hopefully someone here can help...

It was suggested that I could ask BA to route via DFW or IAH, but even if I could get BA to agree, it seems like less hassle to just drive that sort of distance.

Partial refund might be the best option, but no-one seems to be able to say for sure what I might be entitled to. Any chance BA might put something in writing if I email them, or does that seem unlikely?
does post 5 of the compensation guide which deals with downgrades help? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:01 am

Programs: BA, AA, UA, VS, DL, EI, Hilton, Marriot
Originally Posted by goldengate
I have an Avios F redemption SFO LHR FCO for late September returning mid October using a Chase companion voucher that expires in the middle of next year. I called You First and was told that there would be a $55 per person charge to cancel and redeposit, or I could do a Future Travel Voucher (FTV) which I read about on page one of this thread. Given that I believe BA SFO LHR 284 has been running even in the worst of times, I am assuming chances are slim for a cancellation of the itinerary which would give me the most flexibility as I understand it from reading the WIKI. Should I just wait until 10 days or so before the flight and get a FTV if this does not cancel? It does seem like the situation in EU is worsening with the news today that USA is no longer on the green list. The agent said that if I do a FTV vs a cancel and redeposit, they will extend the voucher through end September 2023 which is appealing.

Appreciate any advice on this one as this is new territory for me.

Thank you!
I'd hang on till a couple of days before outbound. There's also a chance your LHR-FCO or FCO-LHR legs get cancelled and you could cancel without the $55 pp fee (assume on same booking). If any sector gets cancelled or significantly retimed there's also the option to change travel dates. BA interpretation of ticket validity changed on 8th July to 12 months from scheduled outbound travel, not booking, as long as seats available in cabin although there's a rumour emerging this may have changed again.

I managed to rebook a 241 50% Avios J booked Oct '19 last May (which had been cancelled and rebooked before the policy changed) to next April and that's after my 241 would of expired. It all appears ticketed OK so keep your options open and be prepared to HUACA. Helpful agents find ways to make your day. Lots of info on FT.

Do not accept any offer of new flights from BA. You get one shot following a cancellation of changes/full refund or it's only an FTV/$55 pp cancellation.

You can also voluntarily cancel for $55 pp, get your 241 voucher, avios and cash back, rebook an Avios short haul with low taxes using 241 then immediately voluntarily cancel that to FTV to preserve the 241 until Sept'23 only losing the low taxes or $55 whichever is lower if you dont use it. PAX must remain the same though so beware. Worth considering if you don't want to tie up $$$$s with BA. Good luck.

PS Just seen my BA284 next Feb changed from A380 to 777 with no CS so yours may of as well.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:10 am

I currently have two bookings ticketed by BA but including QR metal flights. I have successfully managed to book seats on the QR legs using the RJ website (rj.com) Like gracecoo, I was unable to do so on either the BA or QR sites.

Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT gracecoo, great to see your first post, albeit probably not under the best circumstances.

The seat issue is very annoying, and with BA coded but QR operated flights it can be tricky. Sometimes using the BA booking code on the QR site will work, or sometimes there is a different QR booking code you need to use.

In terms of getting a full refund, you are entitled to that if you have a flight cancelled or one retimed by over 4 hours, but anything other than that would be a voluntary refund which is only on the basis of the fare rules. With a flight cancellation you get one shot at an involuntary change or request for a refund, but if you accepted the change then that was your free shot and everything after is as per fare rules. So accepting the cancellation & rebook on 25 August means anything beyond that would not be a full refund unless the fare is fully flexible. The seat selection issues are not going to be sufficient really for BA to just do a full refund out of goodwill.

Have you actually cancelled? I am concerned they are working out the normal fare rule refund for you and you may only get back some fees and taxes if the fare isn;t actually refundable?
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:31 am

does post 5 of the compensation guide which deals with downgrades help? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html
Seemingly not, as apparently different rules apply to holiday bookings. I assume I could argue it if I could find a way to get the exact fare breakdown but I can't seem to find it and I didn't take a screenshot when I booked.

I'm really not liking the idea of taking the flight without knowing what I'd get back.

Edit - That's probably a better thread for this post though. Thanks.

Last edited by RG1X; Aug 31, 2021 at 6:57 am
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
are you sure? she said that the policy got revoked on Friday and its pretty new and some kind of new update might follow.
On Thursday (26th), I was told it was strictly 12 months from ticket purchase date.

It would be nice if this is documented somewhere on the BA travel/trade site etc.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
On Thursday (26th), I was told it was strictly 12 months from ticket purchase date.

It would be nice if this is documented somewhere on the BA travel/trade site etc.
thats odd - because i was told that it was released on Friday midday.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I don't see any rebooking allowance for Air Baltic. A flight having a BA code doesn't mean there is an automatic rebooking allowance for it.
Cheers. HUACA worked and we got the Air Baltic flight we wanted.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:30 am

What is the best time of day to ring this company and actually get through to speak with someone? I have been trying to get through to their customer service on Twitter since Thursday and it seems to be non-existent other than a bot for automated replies. It's almost like they don't want people to book with them.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Xenor
What is the best time of day to ring this company and actually get through to speak with someone? I have been trying to get through to their customer service on Twitter since Thursday and it seems to be non-existent other than a bot for automated replies. It's almost like they don't want people to book with them.
Whats the purpose of your call? Customer services (as in a complaint?) or an agent to book, cancel or amend something?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Whats the purpose of your call? Customer services (as in a complaint?) or an agent to book, cancel or amend something?
Customer services. They messed up my refund by refunding the cash portion of my ticket but not replacing the FTV I had used. The FTV I had used is invalid now so I imagine they need to issue a new voucher code. I am wanting to reuse the FTV to book new flights. I should add that this refund was requested because they'd cancelled a flight on my itinerary.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xenor
Customer services. They messed up my refund by refunding the cash portion of my ticket but not replacing the FTV I had used. The FTV I had used is invalid now so I imagine they need to issue a new voucher code. I am wanting to reuse the FTV to book new flights. I should add that this refund was requested because they'd cancelled a flight on my itinerary.
If a flight was cancelled, the full amount should have been refundable to the original payment form/s.
If different cards were used along the way, could there be a credit on an old card?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RB211
The 284/285 hasn't flown for quite some time, I believe. Until today! Today marks the resumption of two SFO flights a day. So I think you are historically inaccurate, but your strategy is sound. If you go for the FTV or $55 change you'll need Z availability to get back in First. If they cancel all you need is available F seats. So I would wait until a couple of days before. It is an interesting and unpredictable time and I don't see any harm in waiting until not quite the last minute.

rb211.
Thank you very much... I didn't realize that if they cancel I don't have to wait for Z availability... I'll wait until just a couple days before the flight and keep and eye on whether it runs between now and then. They picked an interesting time to start this flight back up again!
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
If a flight was cancelled, the full amount should have been refundable to the original payment form/s.
If different cards were used along the way, could there be a credit on an old card?
They would refund the FTV back to an FTV wouldn't they? The FTV I had was an FTV that had been recycled twice previously.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No, when the airline cancels you have the option to have any attached FTVs evouchers and cash if applicable refunded back to cash. You need to call and request this, not available online
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:12 am

LHR-SEA Return Flight Cancelled. I called and cancelled the booking, but no FTV

I had the return portion of an upcoming trip to the UK cancelled by BA (LHR-SEA), so I called BA and cancelled the booking, but weeks later the the outbound flight is still showing active, no FTV has been issued. I then cancelled the booking online and applied for an FTV. Again, nothing has happened. All my attempts to call BA are met with “due to heavy calls to our call center your call cannot be completed at this time.”

Meanwhile the outbound flight occurs in a week. I live in Anchorage, so the time changes do not help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.