Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding, tricky one

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Wasn't aware this was an already rerouted itinerary that started as something simole. I failed to notice that part....

Reroutes - if BA offered a QR reroute on that itinerary then more fool them for creating that ability in the first place. Never heard of anything so stupid for even allowing it.

Same for IST-LHR via DOH.
Service wise it's a lovely upgrade but seriously?????

Ive seen loads of examples of this. FCO-LHR rebooked FCO-DOH-LHR. No further Re bookings like permitted now. They even booked into revenue buckets so 280 TP and Avios earnt. Not bad for a cheap RFS.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Thanks,

Despite the disappointment, we are off on LHR-CDG-FRA-ZRH-GRU-BOG on Friday for 10days,(to keep ourselves entertained), with a team offsite in Cartagena over the weekend. It has been a while since i did LX F so will be nice to retry it after LH pulled most of 747s out of the skies.
FWIW I travelled Swiss longhaul F to/from HKG in March on a newly refurbed A340-600, just as the Covid shutters were coming down, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32168464-post471.html, a brief synopsis is below: spoiler alert; a great place to sleep, dining not quite so much, but I am sure it'll be far better than BA F at the moment..

Conclusions
- First ground service is patchy, but when it works it's good, BA, my usual F carrier, could really up their game in this respect
- I don't know what you have to do to get a Merc airside transfer rather than a mini bus!
- If you like to sleep, both in the air and on the ground, I've encountered no better airline
- Food is OK but not amazing, beverage is mediocre, for a First product
- The crews I encoutered were pleasant and efficient, but I didn't find I had a particularly memorable experience because of them.

Last edited by Howard Long; Nov 29, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:33 pm

I’m wondering why, in the age of the telephone, anyone would fly to Doha for an “airside business meeting”, or is this one of these modern euphemisms of which I’m unaware?
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by muscat
I’m wondering why, in the age of the telephone, anyone would fly to Doha for an “airside business meeting”, or is this one of these modern euphemisms of which I’m unaware?
There is still lot of business that needs to be done face to face. There is a reason I fly to Bogota every month and it ain't to take a swim in the Caribbean
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Must have been a very important meeting for the OP to fly 6 hours in a mask and visor (QR requirements) just to have a relatively short business meeting and then fly home another 6 hours in another mask and visor.
The visor isn't required in J between boarding completion and arrival. If it had been, you're absolutely right, I wouldn't have booked.

Last edited by Howard Long; Nov 29, 2020 at 1:15 pm
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muscat
That's why it's not uncommon to have business meeting rooms in airline lounges.

When choosing a supplier that your business will have some dependence on, call me old fashioned, but there's nothing like seeing the whites of the eyes, even if pressing the flesh is currently no longer a thing. Let me explain...

IME, you only make the mistake of flying blind on a new supplier once, and for me it was an expensive mistake about ten years ago. It'll come as no surprise that suppliers have quite the propensity to over promise and under deliver, sometimes devastatingly so. For example, non delivery on a six month lead time item isn't going to be cheap to rectify either in financial terms or in terms of reputational damage of non-delivery. You can wrap it up in legal remedies all you like, but that's still no guarantee of a smooth transaction. In manufacturing in my particular line, no contract supplier is going to offer any form of indemnity anyway, they tend to offer relatively meaningless gestures after a screw up that don't come anywhere near to the actual cost.

In short it's about mutual trust, and reducing financial & reputational risk. I find that a lot more clarity comes out in the wash in a face-to-face compared to a phone call, in terms of clarity of detail, expectation management, as well as detecting some of those rather more elusive traits.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 2:18 pm

Would two one-way tickets work: the first LHR-DOH-IST or wherever would let you in, and a second DOH-LHR? Obviously, you chuck the DOH-IST leg.
englisha, nufnuf77, ENTP and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Truth be told, I've done similar trips outside of covid many times where I never step landside, including three or four times to DOH, in fact DOH is one of the better airports for doing it as you can transfer through security without even having a boarding pass.
Because Qatar allows visa-free/visa on arrival (not sure about the exact arrangement) for UK Passport holders. That's why you have no problem at all.

Originally Posted by Howard Long
I guess I'll file a complaint and see where that gets me!
I simply can't see what your complaint can accomplish. Qatari official information has been very clear on this - citizens and residents only for now. And you are neither.

If I was on the other side of the complaint, I would make sure you be banned for life.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
If I was on the other side of the complaint, I would make sure you be banned for life.
Given that it took 90 minutes to deny the OP boarding, would you also fire the check-in staff, plus the station manager and whoever else was involved in this case for not immediately getting rid of the OP?

It's clear that the OP is not allowed into Qatar, and its also clear that the OP was never seeking to enter Qatar. The OP wasn't going to ask an immigration officer to let him in. So it's easy to see how the OP got himself into this situation, and is now a bit annoyed with bureaucracy.
Howard Long and Newbtravelle like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cauchy
Given that it took 90 minutes to deny the OP boarding, would you also fire the check-in staff, plus the station manager and whoever else was involved in this case for not immediately getting rid of the OP?
Sure. It is COVID-19 time anyway. Right or wrong - their jobs are at risk anyway.

Originally Posted by cauchy
It's clear that the OP is not allowed into Qatar, and its also clear that the OP was never seeking to enter Qatar. The OP wasn't going to ask an immigration officer to let him in. So it's easy to see how the OP got himself into this situation, and is now a bit annoyed with bureaucracy.
Booking a flight to DOH as the final destination is a clear, objective intent that OP seeks to enter Qatar, regardless OP's actual plan. Even assuming OP would be there to transit with proof of connecting flights, OP must still adhere the transit formality.

Now Qatar is a persona non grata country for everyone else except its citizens and residents. You can argue what you want on behalf of OP. But based on OP's own words, everything is pretty much conclusive.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:48 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Because Qatar allows visa-free/visa on arrival (not sure about the exact arrangement) for UK Passport holders. That's why you have no problem at all.

I simply can't see what your complaint can accomplish. Qatari official information has been very clear on this - citizens and residents only for now. And you are neither.

I hope you aren't working in any customer facing role. For physical or verbal abuse I'd agree, but for simply attempting what the OP is attempting? Ridiculous.
NoY, IAMORGAN, chris63 and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This isn't a "tricky" situation. There is no world of "immediate turnarounds" or "staying airside" outside of Flyertalk. You are flying somewhere or you aren't. You have the documents or you don't.
bafan likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I hope you aren't working in any customer facing role. For physical or verbal abuse I'd agree, but for simply attempting what the OP is attempting? Ridiculous.
Border police do not care about customer service.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:04 pm

Sure. It is COVID-19 time anyway. Right or wrong - their jobs are at risk anyway.

Booking a flight to DOH as the final destination is a clear, objective intent that OP seeks to enter Qatar, regardless OP's actual plan. Even assuming OP would be there to transit with proof of connecting flights, OP must still adhere the transit formality.

Now Qatar is a persona non grata country for everyone else except its citizens and residents. You can argue what you want on behalf of OP. But based on OP's own words, everything is pretty much conclusive.
The OP's case might well turn on the specific wording of Qatar's COVID rules. IF the rule was phrased as "no entry for non-Qatari nationals/residents...but this does not affect passengers who remain airside / don't leave the airport" then the OP could have a case. Equally, if the rules were set out as "customers in transit to a third country are allowed airside" then the OP is screwed as there are only 2 countries involved in his trip. Perhaps the OP can contact the Qatari embassy and see if they have a copy of the rules?

You might think the OP has a weak case, but he has acted in good faith and the outcome here could be quite harsh. He deserves some sympathy.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Banned for life for raising a complaint about a decision? That's not going to happen.

I agree the complaint should be dismissed.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.