Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.

Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request

Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request

Club World:
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

First:
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Print Wikipost

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by RB211
Earlier in the week I posted pictures of a long haul Club PM meal and "breakfast." Now it's time for First from my LHR-SFO flight - all options are non-veggie...
Apologies... What I should have said is "... options presented here are the non-veggie versions, there was a veggie option for the main meal, at least..."

rb211.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I think a few of us should contact Customer Relations and ask that very question.
If you do that, why not ask them why it is acceptable to serve a Turkey, Bacon & cheese panini alongside a Croissant with Turkey, Ham & ?? (I'll guess, Swiss) - see the CW food offering pictures upthread. Not exactly a balanced meal. Looks like someone with a very limited budget just swept through the local 7-11 and picked up a random selection of goods.

Meanwhile, over at Lufthansa (as an example) they're getting menus, choices, china etc i.e. a near normal service
FTwoody and TangoOneSeven like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
OMG, that's hilarious. Thanks for the preview of next month's LHR-LAX flight if it comes to that. Were drinks flowing? What champagne was served?
You're welcome - hope it helps. Drinks were flowing as much as one wanted. Champagne was the type in a little bottle that have been shown previously I believe, and the same as CW, I believe. I didn't take a picture.

rb211.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
I mean... you do understand that almost literally ever business in the entire world is cutting costs right now, correct?

This isn't a uniquely BA situation. I'd suggest you broaden your horizons and visit many of the other airline forums on FT. I think you won't find things all that different and in fact, you might even find BA ahead in few areas (e.g lounges at LHR)
Cost cutting in these situations is just plain stupid and illogical. Take current TATL passenger loads - maybe 5 in business/first. Save a fiver on the catering for each of these pax and you've saved £25 - wow. In the mean time you've probably lost at least 1 passenger to another carrier, which would have more than covered that £25. Same logic for the other travel classes. All penny-pinching does is make it look like penny-pinching... .
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
I mean... you do understand that almost literally ever business in the entire world is cutting costs right now, correct?

This isn't a uniquely BA situation. I'd suggest you broaden your horizons and visit many of the other airline forums on FT. I think you won't find things all that different and in fact, you might even find BA ahead in few areas (e.g lounges at LHR)

Regards

P.S. And yes, I know, "but the ME3! but the ME3!" sigh...
Yes scubadu we understand what you mean
They should call it cost savings, not covid friendly and ongoing senseless penalizing of paying premium pax
As a frequent (15-20 RT yearly, before covid) ex-outstation (LAS) First passenger i have witnessed 12 years of ruthless cost-cutting, aircraft, cabin, connection, service, catering issues essentially left unhandled, with various categories of shortcomings of the F experience-could write a book

This year since March three unused tickets in paid First to/from LAS, one lost as no-show, since the FCO recommendation for no travel to MXP was issued a day after my presumed travel date, when Milan area was already red zone, two more F trips downgraded to CW without even a proper email, and incredible difficulties made by GGL staff to even try and reroute me via a First connection, citing fare difference and other absurdities
While evidently i have not had enough and continued to buy F given the convenience -when the service operates smoothly- What is even the point of arguing if this is how F pax are taken care of? finish your point a to point b remaining longhaul trips with crisps and cold sandwich, and give your business to someone else who treats you to something closer to a premium experience
VSLover, Kwi, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CKBA
Cost cutting in these situations is just plain stupid and illogical. Take current TATL passenger loads - maybe 5 in business/first. Save a fiver on the catering for each of these pax and you've saved £25 - wow. In the mean time you've probably lost at least 1 passenger to another carrier, which would have more than covered that £25. Same logic for the other travel classes. All penny-pinching does is make it look like penny-pinching... .
absolutely agree here. When BA cancelled our flights (early COVID-19 though) we rebooked with AA and Lufthansa (again, early Covid, but their service isn’t as diminished and I have AA status anyway). Right now the only forward bookings we (me and family for leisure, AND my corporation for UK business trips) are on either United or Lufthansa. The company TA will not book BA at this time, whereas BA was always their favored choice pre Covid.

Further, AA coming into T5 really doesn’t help BA. The AA hard product (in J) is superiors to BA and so there is really no reason for a well informed traveler to book BA. I appreciate that not all buyers are informed as FT’ers are however.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven
absolutely agree here. When BA cancelled our flights (early COVID-19 though) we rebooked with AA and Lufthansa (again, early Covid, but their service isn’t as diminished and I have AA status anyway). Right now the only forward bookings we (me and family for leisure, AND my corporation for UK business trips) are on either United or Lufthansa. The company TA will not book BA at this time, whereas BA was always their favored choice pre Covid.

Further, AA coming into T5 really doesn’t help BA. The AA hard product (in J) is superiors to BA and so there is really no reason for a well informed traveler to book BA. I appreciate that not all buyers are informed as FT’ers are however.
It makes zero difference whether you book with BA or AA and fly with BA or AA metal, it's all shared revenue across the North Atlantic as part of the Joint Business Agreement (along with IB and AY). You are not hurting BA by switching to AA, sorry to burst your bubble.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by CKBA
I think the problem is that Alex Cruz and Willy Walsh can't think beyond cost-cutting. It's their go-to business strategy and probably works well when price is a key decision-making factor in choosing an airline. But right now, very few people are travelling and I suspect price isn't a huge consideration for those who are. So the cost-cutting they are doing is indeed just saving a fiver that doesn't need to be saved and will lose custom.

When Virgin Atlantic launched they won market share because they had new funky add-ons like massages and make-up artists. And when BA first launched Club-world it sold service, flat-beds, innovation. Personally I believe that to survive, airlines are going to have to go back to these approaches and stop this obsession with cost-cutting.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:02 am

Deleted

Last edited by T5ops; Aug 22, 2020 at 4:14 pm
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by T5ops
The issue is passenger loads are still generally non-existant so there aren't the economies of scale. I'm not sure how other carriers manage it, but having a full catering operation for 17 passengers on a long haul probably isn't feasible.
​​​​
I’ve been thinking about this too. It’s interesting that the carriers being discussed about having ‘normal’ food options are those with loads of cash... AA and LH because they’ve been handed it by their governments, QR because, well, QR. We hear less about those carriers trying to struggle along with no handouts.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T5ops
The issue is passenger loads are still generally non-existant so there aren't the economies of scale. I'm not sure how other carriers manage it, but having a full catering operation for 17 passengers on a long haul probably isn't feasible.
​​​​
I don't need 'a full catering operation' - can we just have those boxes with chicken dinners and curries available in all long haul (incl Y!) and in longer CE?
wrp96, Tobias-UK and James91 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:54 am

When Virgin Atlantic launched they won market share because they had new funky add-ons like massages and make-up artists. And when BA first launched Club-world it sold service, flat-beds, innovation. Personally I believe that to survive, airlines are going to have to go back to these approaches and stop this obsession with cost-cutting.
Market share =/= operating profit.

In spite of what we read here on Flyertalk, I'm yet to see definitive proof that more frills = more passenger and more money. See Etihad: on paper, given the Residence, and the Studio, and the great onboard product they'd be making money hand over fist. In practice they've lost an eye-watering amount of money even in pre-Covid days. The rumour is also that Air France's La Première isn't cash positive. I'm of the opinion that air travel - let's leave Covid aside for a moment - is becoming a commodity: every airline has a lie-flat, IFE, a lounge. People are primarily voting with their wallets or based on timings, or FQTV allegiance.

Having said all this, on the topic of the current in-flight offering: I personally think it's not so much about cost-cutting, but rather lack of aspiration. The BA I used to know before Alex's kingdom of mediocrity was trying to aspire to do something. Frank VdP was great in that sense because he wanted an improved product. Right now there's an utterly lacklustre leader, Alex, who is 110% unable to express a vision for the airline: see the botched business plan in 2017, and the even sorrier affair of the 'best airline in the world' launched in 2018/2019, or the pathetic 100th anniversary celebrations. It's a "that'll do" mentality that goes beyond simple cost-cutting, because I doubt that this is much of a saving. I think that it's also due to having a clueless leader who has replaced brilliant people with 'meh' top managers, who in turn are hiring/promoting 'meh' people who, in turn, implement 'meh' ideas.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by 13901
Market share =/= operating profit.

In spite of what we read here on Flyertalk, I'm yet to see definitive proof that more frills = more passenger and more money. See Etihad: on paper, given the Residence, and the Studio, and the great onboard product they'd be making money hand over fist. In practice they've lost an eye-watering amount of money even in pre-Covid days. The rumour is also that Air France's La Première isn't cash positive. I'm of the opinion that air travel - let's leave Covid aside for a moment - is becoming a commodity: every airline has a lie-flat, IFE, a lounge. People are primarily voting with their wallets or based on timings, or FQTV allegiance.

Having said all this, on the topic of the current in-flight offering: I personally think it's not so much about cost-cutting, but rather lack of aspiration. The BA I used to know before Alex's kingdom of mediocrity was trying to aspire to do something. Frank VdP was great in that sense because he wanted an improved product. Right now there's an utterly lacklustre leader, Alex, who is 110% unable to express a vision for the airline: see the botched business plan in 2017, and the even sorrier affair of the 'best airline in the world' launched in 2018/2019, or the pathetic 100th anniversary celebrations. It's a "that'll do" mentality that goes beyond simple cost-cutting, because I doubt that this is much of a saving. I think that it's also due to having a clueless leader who has replaced brilliant people with 'meh' top managers, who in turn are hiring/promoting 'meh' people who, in turn, implement 'meh' ideas.
I would agree with a lot of this. Regarding F, I think many airlines don't expect this to ever make money as a standalone product any more, it's there partly just for brand purposes and to improve people's impression of the airline overall so that they're more likely to book the tickets that actually make a profit (J in particular). It's partly why it's survived so long for many carriers, plus some inertia / cronyism, probably. I don't have any insight on whether BA's F actually makes money, but my inclination is it could be one of the few that actually did pre-COVID (albeit a lot less than Club World, clearly), not because it was an amazing product, just because they had access to a lot of very high margin traffic out of LHR and a stranglehold on a lot of profitable LHR-US routes. Other F contenders in my head that might actually have half of a standalone business case to exist based on the high margin traffic they can capture would be QF, CX, SQ and JL/NH. Maybe EK too on some routes.

EY is a basket case not because of the frills that they (used to) offer, but because they have never had an even half-coherent strategy or reason why they needed to exist as a global carrier when EK was also operating a much more extensive route network with similar standards and more established relationships from an airport an hour a way. EY's product also doesn't actually have all that many frills any longer, they've gradually hacked away at the soft product in both F and J over the years and it got to the point where even in F Apartments you were mostly paying for a seat and everything else was the standard of a good J product. This wasn't really noticed by the travel blogosphere who continued to pump it as 'WORLD'S BEST FIRST CLASS, LOOK AT THIS!!!'. I much prefer EK new F to EY F as a result, and so do seemingly most of the dwindling number of people that actually pay for F in my experience, which is probably why EK F continues to exist in broadly the same form.
13901 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
But as someone else flagged in another thread, those funky add-ons were at a time of much higher business fares and at a time when business travel volumes were much lower too. Cutting these services, as Virgin did, was necessary to remain price competitive.

Some speculate fares will eventually rise, I'm doubtful and therefore see little prospect of services becoming much more luxurious. Indeed if Virgin don't survive the requirement for some services could disappear. I really thought that COVID would spell the end of arrival lounges and still see that it could.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by 13901

In spite of what we read here on Flyertalk, I'm yet to see definitive proof that more frills = more passenger and more money.
Completely agree.
13901 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.