Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.

Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request

Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request

Club World:
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

First:
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Print Wikipost

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
I always find this line of FT responses an intellectually weak argument. Why this obsession with the need for BA to "look you in the eye and just tell you the truth" and then you'll find it acceptable?
Simple. If a brand excels at being disingenuous about a relatively minor aspect of their business, it is reasonable to assume that they are being disingenuous about more important aspects such as maintenance and safety.

As an example, I travelled domestic on an evening flight which night stopped. I travelled back on the same aircraft the following morning. The aircraft had not moved after parking. I sat in 1F on both sectors. Because I know BA are disingenuous, I made a spill mark of Tribute on the tray table. Now BA claim to have our safety first and foremost and their cleanliness Is next to godliness. Nothing is more important than ‘our’ safety. And yet, the following morning, after an 11 hour window to wipe (not even disinfect) the tray table, the dried stain was there in the morning.

BA had one job. On their primary objective of our safety, they failed. Back to being reasonable, it isn’t that BA do not tell the truth. It’s just that they lie. Tell a lie, tell it loud, tell it often. Enough people will believe it to dilute the ones who see through it.

The damage this blasé behaviour has on brand reputation is immeasurable. The brands coming out of Covid well thought of are those that make a commitment and develop a process to follow it through. BA have a commitment. That night, the cleaners failed. The supervisor failed. The check failed. BA made a promise to deep clean after EVERY flight. They didn’t even manage to wipe my tray table. The process failed. Ever heard of the Swiss cheese affect? That is how accidents happen. That is why people on Flyertalk desire BA to be honest.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Simple. If a brands excels at being disingenuous about a relatively minor aspect of their business, it is reasonable to assume that they are being disingenuous about more important aspects such as maintenance and safety.
Spot on IMO
Had the "Please bear with us while we sanitise the aircraft" announcement at BSL a couple of weeks ago while waiting to board. Created a sense of responsibility and that things were being taken seriously. Got to my seat in row 20 where I was greeted to crisps everywhere and greasy finger prints all over the window. It's all just theatre creating the illusion BA cares on the surface and I almost fell for it. You don't even need to scratch that deep to see it for what it is unfortunately.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Simple. If a brand excels at being disingenuous about a relatively minor aspect of their business, it is reasonable to assume that they are being disingenuous about more important aspects such as maintenance and safety.

As an example, I travelled domestic on an evening flight which night stopped. I travelled back on the same aircraft the following morning. The aircraft had not moved after parking. I sat in 1F on both sectors. Because I know BA are disingenuous, I made a spill mark of Tribute on the tray table. Now BA claim to have our safety first and foremost and their cleanliness Is next to godliness. Nothing is more important than ‘our’ safety. And yet, the following morning, after an 11 hour window to wipe (not even disinfect) the tray table, the dried stain was there in the morning.

BA had one job. On their primary objective of our safety, they failed. Back to being reasonable, it isn’t that BA do not tell the truth. It’s just that they lie. Tell a lie, tell it loud, tell it often. Enough people will believe it to dilute the ones who see through it.

The damage this blasé behaviour has on brand reputation is immeasurable. The brands coming out of Covid well thought of are those that make a commitment and develop a process to follow it through. BA have a commitment. That night, the cleaners failed. The supervisor failed. The check failed. BA made a promise to deep clean after EVERY flight. They didn’t even manage to wipe my tray table. The process failed. Ever heard of the Swiss cheese affect? That is how accidents happen. That is why people on Flyertalk desire BA to be honest.
Did you complain to BA? This is something that should be highlighted.
Dave_C, LCSinTexas and Sailbot3310 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Did you complain to BA? This is something that should be highlighted.
I discussed it with the purser who told me he would file a report. He did not seem that shocked.
He was more interested in why I did a back to back overnight.
I had travelled to meet a long standing friend for dinner.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, and needless to say that the meat in question is not from the noblest parts of the proud little bird like the breast of leg, more the various scrapings and other pieces that would be unmarketable on their own... Yikes! I wish you were right about turkey and bacon and cheese instead!!!
It is most interesting that two posts one above the other give such different opinions about the product - clearly it is something that I will need to test for myself.

I suppose that during the current crisis - for let us face it this is where it is - I think that I am fortunate that we are travelling at all. Nothing would have me flying to the USA at this time where it would seem that the virus is not only the only problem. That is, of course hypothetical given that we are not allowed in and quarantining for 14 days is not my idea of fun. Thus, given the the experience of flying F would be an utter waste of money given the product offering. I find changing flights a bore so I would not be using any European carriers either. I am just grateful that I worked in the days when it really was First Class on all airlines. Frankly the only reason that I stick with BA is the one First Class thing about them is the people who work there and whether that will still apply after they have been mauled remains to be seen,

Those who are dissatisfied with what is on offer should take their custom elsewhere. I would. From my Alicante home I have a choice between BA or Low Cost. So far I have not been dissatisfied. If I am offered some Unspeakable Vegan Sandwich then I may think differently
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Very recently both main UK Intercity train operators have announced a plan to recommence at-seat hot food service. Whilst this isn’t directly relevant to BA, I find it very interesting that train operators trying to compete with BA (on EDI/GLA/MAN-LON routes) and operating within the same legislative environment re ‘minimising contact’ can do this. Hopefully this may apply some pressure on BA to review their generally woeful offerings.
PUCCI GALORE, wrp96 and Pilou like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Rlbh99
Very recently both main UK Intercity train operators have announced a plan to recommence at-seat hot food service. Whilst this isn’t directly relevant to BA, I find it very interesting that train operators trying to compete with BA (on EDI/GLA/MAN-LON routes) and operating within the same legislative environment re ‘minimising contact’ can do this. Hopefully this may apply some pressure on BA to review their generally woeful offerings.
If only.
irs BA cost cutting- and like AA after 9/11 I fear BA will be the same- permanently rubbish.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:10 pm

Wrote to BA about my experience of crew being unaware of a full bar being loaded (amongst other failings..) got the standard response back - with the current climate preventing gestures such as a partial refund of the upgrade fee from taking place.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Spot on IMO
Had the "Please bear with us while we sanitise the aircraft" announcement at BSL a couple of weeks ago while waiting to board. Created a sense of responsibility and that things were being taken seriously. Got to my seat in row 20 where I was greeted to crisps everywhere and greasy finger prints all over the window. It's all just theatre creating the illusion BA cares on the surface and I almost fell for it. You don't even need to scratch that deep to see it for what it is unfortunately.
not disputing nor downplaying your negative experience but there’s a difference between cleaning and sanitising. They could well have deployed a spray sanitiser throughout the aircraft which would have left the marks you speak of there for you to find.

TMM
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,

sorry to drag this back on topic somewhat, but has anyone experienced F catering / drinks service in the last few days / week, and if so, is it still the same to what is posted at the beginning of this thread?

is there any suggestion yet of when there will be a return so (somewhat) normal service in F?

and finally, for recent travellers, how has inflight drinks service been in F?

Mrs MM have our first Fs (Like buses, 2 together) coming up either side of New year and I want to start managing my expectations early.

thanks
TMM
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
not disputing nor downplaying your negative experience but there’s a difference between cleaning and sanitising. They could well have deployed a spray sanitiser throughout the aircraft which would have left the marks you speak of there for you to find.

TMM
I admire your optimism but I'd be very surprised if anything was accomplished such as you're suggesting at a European outstation on a short turnaround. Good luck with your new year First experience. Hopefully a clearer indication over what a F service looks like will be available nearer the time.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Complained about the abysmal boxed service and the lack of hot meals in J long haul. Got this (pretty weak and dare I say inaccurate) response:

”Thank you for your recent email.

I am sorry that you feel disappointed by the service that we are offering at present. We will of course ensure that your feedback is forwarded to the right team, however you will not hear back from this as this will be just as feedback.

I wanted to provide a little more information on the food offerings below

From 16 June, we will be offering a bar service with a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. The alcoholic drinks will be served either as miniatures or individual quarter bottles. Dining on board is enhanced to offer an a la carte menu with safely pre-packaged options, offering a range of hot and cold items. Our cabin crew will be able to provide you with details of choices available and any allergen advice

I hope this helps and I am sorry that we cannot be of further help on this occasion.

Please feel free to let us know if we can help you with anything else.”
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC, M&M
I wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that BA are doing another "team up" with Boots, to offer the Boots £1.99 meal deal. It would be better than the current offerings and at least one would get a full packet of crisps.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
sorry to drag this back on topic somewhat, but has anyone experienced F catering / drinks service in the last few days / week, and if so, is it still the same to what is posted at the beginning of this thread?
is there any suggestion yet of when there will be a return so (somewhat) normal service in F?
TMM
Still the same boxed service in First. As for timescales, see my post from a few days ago:

Originally Posted by Genius1
HfP reckons 'at least 4 months' from mid-June https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...rink-catering/, so if that timeline holds true we're about halfway through BagBoxGate.

We could see a change back to a better version of normal catering come the start of the Winter 20/21 season.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by macdrew
I wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that BA are doing another "team up" with Boots, to offer the Boots £1.99 meal deal. It would be better than the current offerings and at least one would get a full packet of crisps.
Boots replacing M&S BOB? Where did you hear that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.