Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.

Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request

Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request

Club World:
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

First:
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Print Wikipost

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by James91
They have done a great job in the lounges it is true, but the SH catering in Business on almost every airline is better than BA at this point. Clearly BA have decided to focus on the COVID lounge offering over what is being served onboard.
And do you believe that BA was ever "market leading" in SH catering prior to the pandemic? Seriously? If your answer to that is no, then why in the world would you expect them to lead now?

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
except Swiss, Lufthansa and others are continuing their service as before. A much higher standard than a sandwich in a box for passengers paying thousands of pounds. It’s not just the ME3 who are doing better.
Same question as above, do you actually believe that BA SH catering was on par with Swiss/Lufthansa and "others" prior to the pandemic? If not, why do you think they would lead or be on par now?

Look folks, I realize I'm not well loved in this forum. Fair enough. But honestly, BA is what it is and you all know it; you've known it for years. Either it works for you or it doesn't. But good grief, take some personal agency. If you think other carriers provide better catering/service, then by all means vote with your wallet (and frankly, you should have been doing that all along). Or you can all continue down the path this forum has been on for years which is just to endlessly complain (anonymously of course) on FT, then when someone challenges you to vote with your wallet you'll respond with "But, but... I can't let go of my Gold/CCL card!"

BA was not market leading before the crisis, it's not leading during the crisis, and they won't be leading post crisis. One way or another folks here will have to make their peace with that.

But they sure are easy to re-qualify for status on, so there's that...

Regards
msmorley and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by scubadu; Aug 16, 2020 at 6:15 am
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SW7London
Fine, but don't hide behind "we are doing this for heath reasons" excuse
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
Yes scubadu we understand what you mean
They should call it cost savings, not covid friendly and ongoing senseless penalizing of paying premium pax <snip>
I always find this line of FT responses an intellectually weak argument. Why this obsession with the need for BA to "look you in the eye and just tell you the truth" and then you'll find it acceptable? Rather than just using logic and reason to deduce the need to cut costs during a pandemic, your require BA to sit you down, look you in the eye and tell you their doing it for cost reasons. Seriously? So, if they did that, folks in this forum would cease to whine about all this? Yea, right. I think not...

Look, either the product works for you at the price on offer or it doesn't. Make your decision based on that, not whether BA gently sits you on their knee and patiently explains to you why they are making the choices they are making.

Regards
Andriyko, Tobias-UK and L1705 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by scubadu
And do you believe that BA was ever "market leading" in SH catering prior to the pandemic? Seriously? If your answer to that is no, then why in the world would you expect them to lead now?

Same question as above, do you actually believe that BA SH catering was on par with Swiss/Lufthansa and "others" prior to the pandemic? If not, why do you think they would lead or be on par now?

Look folks, I realize I'm not well loved in this forum. Fair enough. But honestly, BA is what it is and you all know it; you've known it for years. Either it works for you or it doesn't. But good grief, take some personal agency. If you think other carriers provide better catering/service, then by all means vote with your wallet (and frankly, you should have been doing that all along). Or you can all continue down the path this forum has been on for years which is just to endlessly complain (anonymously of course) on FT, then when someone challenges you to vote with your wallet you'll respond with "But, but... I can't let go of my Gold/CCL card!"

BA was not market leading before the crisis, it's not leading during the crisis, and they won't be leading post crisis. One way or another folks here will have to make their peace with that.

But they sure are easy to re-qualify for status on, so there's that...

Regards
Well loved or not I think that what you say here is the truth. I voted with my feet and wallet ages ago and only use BA for Euro trips now, mainly from LCY and for convenience. Long Haul, whereby the time in the air is a lot greater than the fiddling and fussing at the airport, I've gone LH and AF First and La P. If I'm in the air for an hour or so then CE is fine, 8 hours or so then CW and F is not. At our age Mrs L and I find the getting there as exciting as the arrival, however odd that sounds to some.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:40 am

I always find this line of FT responses an intellectually weak argument. Why this obsession with the need for BA to "look you in the eye and just tell you the truth" and then you'll find it acceptable? Rather than just using logic and reason to deduce the need to cut costs during a pandemic, your require BA to sit you down, look you in the eye and tell you their doing it for cost reasons. Seriously? So, if they did that, folks in this forum would cease to whine about all this? Yea, right. I think not...

Look, either the product works for you at the price on offer or it doesn't. Make your decision based on that, not whether BA gently sits you on their knee and patiently explains to you why they are making the choices they are making.

Regards
No need to talk about BA gently sitting people on knee's and getting emotional. I also view posters on FT being more than capable of determining if the product works for them given the prices on offer,.

The issue is BA - and some posters - gallantly defending the poor catering on offer by saying its due to health reasons, or UK government guidance. Plainly this is not the case given what other UK carriers are offering, and indeed BA contradicting themselves by offering a warm meal in F when it would be too risky to do so in other cabins.

Of course people will make their own decision in matters like this. That is not mutually exclusive to people putting across an alternative point of view regarding this issue, even if their views may not meet your intellectual standards.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Airprox
It makes zero difference whether you book with BA or AA and fly with BA or AA metal, it's all shared revenue across the North Atlantic as part of the Joint Business Agreement (along with IB and AY). You are not hurting BA by switching to AA, sorry to burst your bubble.

for the record that’s incorrect. It’s JBA not a JV.

BA/AA is NOT a simple revenue share.

I will save the details but if you book AA, on a AA code instead of BA it does ‘hurt’ BA.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by DFB_london
for the record that’s incorrect. It’s JBA not a JV.

BA/AA is NOT a simple revenue share.

I will save the details but if you book AA, on a AA code instead of BA it does ‘hurt’ BA.
This really isn't the topic for it, so sorry for that, but it IS technically a "contractual joint venture" (apologies for saying JBA which it was originally) including metal neutrality, and has been since 2010.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by lloydah
Well loved or not I think that what you say here is the truth. I voted with my feet and wallet ages ago and only use BA for Euro trips now, mainly from LCY and for convenience. Long Haul, whereby the time in the air is a lot greater than the fiddling and fussing at the airport, I've gone LH and AF First and La P. If I'm in the air for an hour or so then CE is fine, 8 hours or so then CW and F is not. At our age Mrs L and I find the getting there as exciting as the arrival, however odd that sounds to some.
At any age the journey can be as exciting as the destination, not odd at all (Of course excluding many flights on business).

And to stay on topic, catering in CE LHR-PMI-LHR (02&09 August) was ok, sandwich was poor but the rest was fine. Not quite up to airport 'picnic' standards, at least 2 rounds of drinks were offered.

Last edited by sl1ppy; Aug 16, 2020 at 10:04 am Reason: keeping on topic
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Why this obsession with the need for BA to "look you in the eye and just tell you the truth" and then you'll find it acceptable?
I agree with SW7London and IkarosBOS. I want BA to be more truthful in their approach. I also objected to the practice a few years back of describing a fuel surcharge as a tax, and I object to the ongoing attempt to use the word "enhance" to describe diminishments and downgrades of services. I understand that other airlines and other businesses take a similar approach to BA.

Everyone knows the price is the same in the end, however BA chooses to justify the changes in catering, so changing the price is clearly not the point nor the objective. The point, as suggested above, is that the truth does matter to some people. I'm glad the truth matters to me and I expect BA to come clean about this. Whether or not they will actually do so is a different matter entirely
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
In spite of what we read here on Flyertalk, I'm yet to see definitive proof that more frills = more passenger and more money.
I'm not saying that providing "more frills=more pax & more money" (this would be diffiult to prove 'definitately'): but clear and obvious penny-pinching is seen as that and passengers will start looking elsewhere and erode the long-term loyal-flyer base. Many of the "frills" are throwaway items away anyway (however customer service (before/onboard) is something I do value).

At present the food offerings are not "up to standard" and should not be seen as equivalent (or competitive) with other operaters offereing similar hard products at the same price.
IkarosBOS likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond

Regards
Scubadu don’t be too smart for us
while i appreciate you see this forum as one only for the ‘intellectually strong’ like you
it is a successful forum because paying premium customers can freely and often funnily ..... about disservice and things they don’t like
sorry you have to hear my intellectually weak
argument once again:
BA who you think youre fooling, i am
bringing my premium purchases all to other airlines despite two decades of loyalty because I dont want to travel feeling like i am
in cattle class, especially these days where travel is all stress and no fun
is that weak enough for ya
cheers
ExpatExp and James91 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA
I'm not saying that providing "more frills=more pax & more money" (this would be diffiult to prove 'definitately'): but clear and obvious penny-pinching is seen as that and passengers will start looking elsewhere and erode the long-term loyal-flyer base. Many of the "frills" are throwaway items away anyway (however customer service (before/onboard) is something I do value).

At present the food offerings are not "up to standard" and should not be seen as equivalent (or competitive) with other operaters offereing similar hard products at the same price.
I'd agree if it weren't that BA has had an incredible string of years, commercially speaking, despite BoB and "the race to the bottom" that we all have seen. Conversely, in today's world I don't know how much F&B would fare in attracting the few passengers travelling right now. It might work for a few discerning customers, but for the actual masses?

I wish this correlation were true, and I'd also wish that people punished BA for the awful way with which it's treating its employees, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:10 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
There should be a special place in hell for people who invented "turkey bacon" anyway. Just a way of smuggling low grade processed meat...
I had no idea that there was such a thing - I read it as Turkey, Bacon, and Cheese, I had to look it up "Turkey bacon is a meat prepared from chopped, formed, cured, and smoked turkey, which is commonly marketed as a low-fat alternative to pork bacon. Turkey bacon may also be used as a substitute for bacon where religious restrictions forbid the consumption of pork"
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I had no idea that there was such a thing - I read it as Turkey, Bacon, and Cheese, I had to look it up "Turkey bacon is a meat prepared from chopped, formed, cured, and smoked turkey, which is commonly marketed as a low-fat alternative to pork bacon. Turkey bacon may also be used as a substitute for bacon where religious restrictions forbid the consumption of pork"
It is actually very tasty. I prefer it to normal bacon. It supposed to be a lot healthier (less saturated fat etc.) but on the other hand it is highly processed.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Indeed, and needless to say that the meat in question is not from the noblest parts of the proud little bird like the breast of leg, more the various scrapings and other pieces that would be unmarketable on their own... Yikes! I wish you were right about turkey and bacon and cheese instead!!!
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, and needless to say that the meat in question is not from the noblest parts of the proud little bird like the breast of leg, more the various scrapings and other pieces that would be unmarketable on their own... Yikes! I wish you were right about turkey and bacon and cheese instead!!!
Pfft, it’ll probably be chlorinated turkey bacon soon 🙄
simonsmith and orbitmic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.