Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
Congrats, exactly same scenario for me, confirmed gold right before lockdown
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dolfinco
I get that. But this is a change to the rules and terms and conditions. The rules say your membership lasts 12 months. The new rules say, your membership will be extended by 12 months. The new rules dont say it will be extended by 12 months but your earning period will be split in 2.

I'm still of the belief the TPs will continue, though I appreciate it's up in the air..
Originally Posted by KARFA
I agree with golfmad. I do agree that the email is not worded well, but of all the things I expect to happen having 24 month tier collection period is definitely not one of them.
Furthermore, there is precedent here. This isn't the first time extensions have been granted but points always reset at the anniversary date.

Otherwise there would no doubt be a lot of extra people obtaining GUFs and GGL/CCR status and we don't want that do we!
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OK. I now have an official answer from BA for the 8th May / 8th June people. To quote from HFP:

"If you have an expiry date of 8th May or 8th June, your status has not yet changed.There is a reason for this. If you had an 8th May or 8th June expiry date, your membership card is still valid, until 30th June or 31st July respectively.

If BA had extended your card year this week, it would have meant extending people who were otherwise due to be downgraded on 30th June or 31st July at the higher tier.

This is what is happening, as BA told it to me:

If your tier point year ends on 8th May or 8th June AND you have retained your status or upgraded your status in your previous membership year, your card expiry date will be extended on Monday 29th.

If your tier point year ends on 8th May or 8th June AND you did not retain your status and are due to be downgraded, your card expiry date will be extended as soon as your downgrade is processed on 30th June or 31st July.

This makes sense. Imagine that you had a year end of 8th May, were Gold but only earned 200 tier points last year. At present, your card shows 'Gold member, card expiry 30th June 2020'. On 1st July you were due to drop to Silver.

If your card had been extended this week, along with all the rest, you would have had your Gold status extended. Instead, BA intends to wait until 1st July when you drop to Silver and then give you a free one-year extension. Such a person would therefore, on 1st July, see that their Silver status runs until 30th June 2022."

My full article is here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...-tier-upgrade/
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
CLARITY!

As an 8 May renewal (already re-qualified as Gold before year end) I admit to having found innumerable helpful inputs somewhat confusing! 30 June now logged in my Dairy!
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I appreciate this is a minority interest, but I wonder if there will be any extension to CCR cards?

Neither of us are particularly enthusiastic at the about moment doing any hardship flying (no FW, mandatory masks, bread and water on board, quarantine...) so a bit academic, but would be interested in others' views.

I retained GGL last collection year and qualified for CCR before year end.

I know CCR is not strictly a tier but it could be considered a status level... no?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I appreciate this is a minority interest, but I wonder if there will be any extension to CCR cards?

Neither of us are particularly enthusiastic at the about moment doing any hardship flying (no FW, mandatory masks, bread and water on board, quarantine...) so a bit academic, but would be interested in others' views.

I retained GGL last collection year and qualified for CCR before year end.

I know CCR is not strictly a tier but it could be considered a status level... no?
The consensus is that CCR card were renewed with the same rules as other statuses.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I am very glad that BA have clarified about 08MAY and 08JUN collection year accounts-- while their email stated "Everyone will get an additional year", that's exactly how I read it. But in the first week, and in the Wiki, I was told very clearly that 08JUN people just didn't luck out, and some were winners, some were losers... etc. I'm sure happy how this seems to be turning out!
Thanks for everyone for continuing to clarify.
FWIW, there is a good chance I'll try for Gold at the reduced level, but since I live in a country with a pathetic cheese puff leader, we might not be allowed to travel abroad for a while, so I really appreciate BA's offer of status extention.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
Great result. Took a while for me to work it out, but presumably staring with an 8 Jan 2021 TP year end, achieving a higher status between 9 Jan 2020 and lockdown, so higher card had 28 Feb 2022 year end and then a 1 year extension to a Feb 2023 card end.
This goes against what Golfmad and Karfa say above though.

If your TP was due to end in Feb 21 and you got to gold before lockdown then according to them you will have your gold status guaranteed to Feb 21 plus 12 months to Feb 22 but you are then requalifying in Feb 21 to Feb 22 for your next year....so surely if you have no more flights, from now to Feb 22 you would drop to silver in feb 22.

This is mental gymnastics here...
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: Varies
I'm sorry, I'm really confused by everything I've read so far. I blame lockdown brain. Could anyone help me with my specific situation?

My membership year end is April 8th. Until May 31st this year I had Silver status. I had intended to do a tier point run between April 8th and May 31st to make best use of my Silver benefits and retain Silver for almost two years (that's how it's worked for me in the past anyway).

I couldn't do the tier point run so I softlanded to Bronze on May 31st this year. On the BA website I see that my Bronze card expires on May 31st 2022, so the 12 month extension has been applied.

I never intended to be Bronze. I'd like to do a tier point run to get back to Silver, but I don't understand how long my new status would last and if I benefit in any way from the extension.

I have three scenarios:

1) I do the tier point run this membership year (ie before April 8th 2021). Do I keep Silver status until May 2022, or do I benefit from an extension to May 2023? Does it matter when I do it during the year?
2) I postpone it to the following membership year (April 9th 2021-April 8th 2022). I assume I keep Silver status until May 2023?
3) I postpone it until after April 9th 2022. Do I keep Silver status until May 2024?

From BA's email, it says "it will be even easier to retain your Bronze status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%. This is the same for upgrade thresholds too, making that next Tier more achievable." What do they mean by "up for renewal"? Does the reduction apply to my membership year that ends April 8th 2021, or to the year after, or to both or either?

I appreciate this is all a bit hypothetical given that we don't know what travel will be like over the next year or two, but I'd like to understand the status issue as I will shortly have three Amex companion vouchers to use (in addition to any my other half earns). My status at the time of those trips is important to me.

Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by ttama
1) I do the tier point run this membership year (ie before April 8th 2021). Do I keep Silver status until May 2022, or do I benefit from an extension to May 2023? Does it matter when I do it during the year?
2) I postpone it to the following membership year (April 9th 2021-April 8th 2022). I assume I keep Silver status until May 2023?
3) I postpone it until after April 9th 2022. Do I keep Silver status until May 2024?
The Executive Club still works as per normal. Therefore -

1) Do the TP run before 8 April 2021 and you will go up to Silver with the end date being 31 May 2022 (you already have had your extension, it doesn't extend again).
2) You do the TP run the following year so that you go Silver before 8 April 2022 and you will have the end date as 31 May 2023.
3) You do the TP run after 8 April 2022, the end date will be 31 May 2024.

Hope that helps. It's no change to how things always work.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
The Executive Club still works as per normal. Therefore -

1) Do the TP run before 8 April 2021 and you will go up to Silver with the end date being 31 May 2022 (you already have had your extension, it doesn't extend again).
2) You do the TP run the following year so that you go Silver before 8 April 2022 and you will have the end date as 31 May 2023.
3) You do the TP run after 8 April 2022, the end date will be 31 May 2024.

Hope that helps. It's no change to how things always work.
Thanks. So there's no benefit to me from the 12 month extension, other than staying Bronze (a status I hadn't intended to have and don't want) for an extra year.

I appreciate I can still benefit from the tier point reduction, to attain Silver. However I still don't understand what "renewal" means in my case. I'm guessing I can only get a 25% reduction in this current membership year, ie the one that ends on April 8th, 2021? Not at any time after that?

So it's not really worth it for me. It's not actually a benefit, as far as I can work out. By the time I feel that it's safe to fly (assuming there are flights) , I won't have much time left until the end of my current year. I may get a few months of Silver this membership year, plus the following twelve months, but I won't get the almost two years of Silver that I would have had if I'd done my tier point run this April/May as originally planned.

So yes, there's a 25% reduction in tier points in order to reach Silver, but I'll have a much shorter period in which to enjoy the benefits. Seems like you lose some, you lose some.

Or am I missing something? Is there any way I can benefit from the 12 month extension or the reduction in tier points, other than being a softlanded Bronze for 12 months longer? I'm just not seeing the "Something to make you smile" in this generous offer from BA.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Further data point:

Silver with year end in November, on 1.475 Tier Points. Upgraded to Gold today (at 02:00!) :-)

They're clearly working through their script slowly but surely!

If anyone is interested: Card end is still 2021 (previously December 2020).
Attached Images  
alex67500 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for the explanation Raffles as I had an 8th June expiry date. Both I and my wife are delighted with what happened this year although BA have not been entirely consistent in the way they have dealt with this subject. Both my wife and I were on 560 tier points when shutdown occurred. Unfortunately my wife had an 8th March expiry date which ended upn with me being upgraded to silver and my wife remaining bronze. Being retired and only travelling together on 2 long haul holidays per year - 1 always with an Amex 2-4-1 - we woud both normally have retained bronze albeit that did not bother us as we always booked CW. I wrote BA thanking them and explained these circumstances suggesting that they may wish to consider upgrading my wife, not expecting that they would. Within days my wife had been immediately upgraded to silver with an expiry date on her account of 30th April 2023! At present I am showing an expiry date of 30th June 2021 but as I have an e-mail confirming this will be extended by 12 months on expiry I now expect to see this happen at the end of this month. It still, however, gives my wife the advantage of 10 months longer as silver than I will have. But no complaints as we are both delighted as it is unlikely we would have bothered to earn the additional 40 tier points to attain silver had this been a normal year.

Our next trip is to LA on 7th September this year. Too early to speculate what will happen albeit it is with Avios and a 2-4-1 which, thankfully, is cancellable up to 24 hours before departure.
ENTP likes this.

Last edited by charlesrhona; Jun 24, 2020 at 3:22 pm Reason: Addition and spelling
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Bronze (ex-Silver)
While not wanting to take the shine away from anyone who's getting expiry into 2022/2023 I am feeling a little bit hard done by as a July year end. I'd already re-qualified for silver this year so the 12 month extension that has been applied takes me to 31 August 2021 which is when it would have been anyway! It does seem odd that a 1 month difference in year end between June and July results in an 11 month difference in extension. With the US still looking bad for covid, especially Texas which is my most common destination, I doubt I'll be doing much travel until later in the year which means missing the first few months of my collection year. I had been expecting renewal until 31 August 2022 and am hoping that when I hit my actual year end on the 8th of July the system kicks in and adds that year.
Brighterside likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Looks like everyone is getting a year added to whatever their current card expiry date is... which is exactly what the BA e-mail said would happen.

"We've added 12 months extra onto your Silver Executive Club membership."

I thought it was pretty simple when I first read it

Still think it's a nice gesture, despite the "oh but she got 7 months more than me" / "but I already qualified for next year so I want another year on top" whining on here. The alternative was getting nothing and we got a year extra plus discounted TPs. It's still a win!
Those who have re-qualified for their current status do not get any extension benefit. I called BAEC customer service yesterday who confirmed as much. The extension on the BA app/website is basically the one you have already earned through TPs accrual. Basically, you were better off flying less pre-COVID, and only qualifying under the new reduced TP thresholds which means you are now given an extra year's worth of benefits for free.

Besides, I, along with others in the same situation, didn't get an extra year for free. It's a tad ridiculous (and has been more eloquently stated by other posters before me) when there is such a wide disparity of outcomes, when you have some members who managed to keep their status free of charge through 2023(!) in some cases - great for them.

Originally Posted by sbgmiles
You will be given an extra year when your current card expires. It is my understanding that if you put in a request for a new card now, you will get a silver card with an extra year added to the expiry date.
This is what I was told yesterday by the gold line. It seems correct to me. If you already moved up or down a level, you would have been issued a new card so you would see the extra year. She put in a request for a new card to be sent to me, so we will see.
This is not what BAEC CS told me yesterday (see above).
Brighterside likes this.

Last edited by massivekettle; Jun 24, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.