Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Seems we have an answer regarding reduced thresholds:

We now have an official answer from BA.

The reduced tier points thresholds will be applied on Monday 29th June.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...-tier-upgrade/
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
  • Tier at the time of the extension email/notification (June 11): Silver
  • Tier Point year end: 8 July 2020
  • 980TP in the account
  • Received the extension email
As mentioned above, my partner was awarded Gold by BAEC, prior to July 8 year end, based on the 1125 threshold. Below are the BAEC comments regarding the extension:
Quote:
...account will renew at Gold on 9 July 2021 for an additional 12 months, their card has already been extended to 31 August 2022. A decision has yet to be made on the required Tier threshold for accounts that renew after June 2021
So, BA will upgrade your wife based on the reduced threshold and her status will extend to 2022. But they won't renew my Gold status based on the reduced threshold so that my card is effectively extended to 2022. None of this makes any sense.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Request a new card

Originally Posted by massivekettle
Wait, so you are saying you were already Silver at the start of your collection year (Nov 8th cycle), did not earn enough TP to requalify for Silver (i.e., 600TP under normal rules), and yet you got a 1-year Silver extension?

Just curious here. Started Silver, actually earned enough points to requalify (605 TP), with my cycle ending on Aug 8th... and yet not seeing any extension yet.

It would be incredibly unfair for members who actually managed to fly enough to requalify not be granted an extension. Wonder what's BA's rationale. It's bound to piss a lot of people off... including me.
You will be given an extra year when your current card expires. It is my understanding that if you put in a request for a new card now, you will get a silver card with an extra year added to the expiry date.
This is what I was told yesterday by the gold line. It seems correct to me. If you already moved up or down a level, you would have been issued a new card so you would see the extra year. She put in a request for a new card to be sent to me, so we will see.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Apologies if this has been done to death, but my extension just showed up in the app and - as I feared - it adds absolutely nothing for me...

card expiry for my current year was October 2020 - I had already earned enough TPs by January of this year to renew at Gold, so was set for Gold until October 2021 in any event

now the app has updated and it shows card expiry of October 2021 instead of October 2022

so in the real world, I don’t have an extra year at all? I had earned it already

so the best I get is a slight reduction in TPs I need to fly in 2020-21 to renew again

er - thanks, I think. Given I’ve missed out on a ton of booked TPs and upgrade vouchers (and probably my best shot at GGL) and next year is in fact the year I really need the extension for given how aggressively work has cut the travel budget, I’m not exactly overwhelmed
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ratypus
Apologies if this has been done to death, but my extension just showed up in the app and - as I feared - it adds absolutely nothing for me...

card expiry for my current year was October 2020 - I had already earned enough TPs by January of this year to renew at Gold, so was set for Gold until October 2021 in any event

now the app has updated and it shows card expiry of October 2021 instead of October 2022

so in the real world, I don’t have an extra year at all? I had earned it already

so the best I get is a slight reduction in TPs I need to fly in 2020-21 to renew again

er - thanks, I think. Given I’ve missed out on a ton of booked TPs and upgrade vouchers (and probably my best shot at GGL) and next year is in fact the year I really need the extension for given how aggressively work has cut the travel budget, I’m not exactly overwhelmed
Going on the experience of others, myself and my reply from BAEC (post 1287), I would say you’ll get an extension to October 2022 but it won’t necessarily show in the app/account until closer to October 2021...
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The updates to membership years are about half way through the system. As mentioned in the original note it's going to take a bit of time, they suggested 2 weeks, and frankly I don't think anyone should be concerned that they have been overlooked until say 1 July.
golfmad and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SonicStar817
Seems we have an answer regarding reduced thresholds
That's great news. Now here's the tough one: when everybody is upgraded on the 29th, will they then add one more year to the card expiration date (as they should)?

Shuly
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Presumably despite the extension the earning period is still the usual 12 months prior to the expiration? So if have October membership year end and have been extended to October 2021, then the earning period to maintain/upgrade is only Oct 2020-21 not from today to Oct 2021? I presume thats the case, but just checking.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by YClass
Presumably despite the extension the earning period is still the usual 12 months prior to the expiration? So if have October membership year end and have been extended to October 2021, then the earning period to maintain/upgrade is only Oct 2020-21 not from today to Oct 2021? I presume thats the case, but just checking.
That is correct.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The updates to membership years are about half way through the system. As mentioned in the original note it's going to take a bit of time, they suggested 2 weeks, and frankly I don't think anyone should be concerned that they have been overlooked until say 1 July.
But ... But ... BUT ... I want mine NOW, or I shall scweam and scweam until I’m SICK!!

🤥
simonsmith likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ratypus

Yes, your expiry date has been extended by a year.

As noted in a few posts earlier today, there isn't any expectation of you getting a further extension beyond that. If you have re-qualified already for your current status level in the current year, then effectively you get no extension benefit. Your card expiry would have had a year added on anyway when you got to year end.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
That is correct.
Ive read it through and i cant see how thats the case unless im reading that wrong....or reading this wrong.

It states this is a 12 month status extension so my status is due to expire in December 2020 and they are extending it to December 2021. Nowhere can i see where it says that my TP will reset in December 2020.

I have already earned 1200 points this year so im asssuming:

1) I will get Gold next week (BA have already confirmed this on the phone today)

2) Any flights between now and my expiry on December 2021 will still earn TP and be added to the 1200 i currently have, earned between Dec 19 and March 20.

3) If i have no flights at all then i will keep my Gold status at December 2021 to December 2022 and then have my soft landing to silver....again if i didnt have any flights.

Am i missing a point somewhere ?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, your expiry date has been extended by a year.

As noted in a few posts earlier today, there isn't any expectation of you getting a further extension beyond that. If you have re-qualified already for your current status level in the current year, then effectively you get no extension benefit. Your card expiry would have had a year added on anyway when you got to year end.
I know that Karfa knows BA much better than I do, but I hope that I have this right.

I spent a long time on the phone with the gold line. We compared my husband's account to my account.

My account- November 8,2019 start- 1385 TP YTD, 12/21 expiry.

My husband- December 8, 2019 start-700TP YTD, 1/23 expiry.

Up until a few days ago, my card expiry date was 12/20. I have always understood that it meant that I would remain silver for the remainder of this tier point collection year and the following year even though my account had the expiry date of 12/20. Because I have not gone up a level, I have not been issued a new card with the correct expiry date. When the extra year update went through, I was given an extra year to compensate for the lack of benefits I am receiving.

I was told by a gold line representative that if she orders me a new silver card, then the extra year will be added so my expiry date will become 12/22. She also said that if I wait for the reduce TP to kick in, I will move back to Gold and an extra year will be added then. According to the representative and her supervisor, my new expiry date will be 12/22.

I hope that this is true. I can’t imagine that BA means to penalize card members who have already earned enough tier points to renew status and are still missing out on the benefits of their status.

Maybe I don’t have a big enough imagination?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
But ... But ... BUT ... I want mine NOW, or I shall scweam and scweam until I’m SICK!!

🤥
You forgot also... toys all OUT of the pram NOW!!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dolfinco
Nowhere can i see where it says that my TP will reset in December 2020.
Tier points always reset at the end of every tier point collection year. Those are the rules of the club as stated in the terms and conditions.

Originally Posted by dolfinco
2) Any flights between now and my expiry on December 2021 will still earn TP and be added to the 1200 i currently have, earned between Dec 19 and March 20.
Any flights between now and your expiry of December 2021 will earn tier points but your annual tier points will be reset to 0 on December 9th 2020.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.