Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DrGee
That's interesting. Last year I asked for clarification on my September renewal after having status extended to Sept 2022 and received the following reply from BAEC:
"I can also confirm that the 25% reduced thresholds will apply to your Tier Point Collection year beginning September 2021, meaning you will need 225 Tier Points for Bronze, 450 Tier Points for Silver and 1,125 Tier Points for Gold.".
Where did the July 2022 cut off come from? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick perhaps?
The July cut off was the date indicated in today's BA Press Release. Here is the full text of the relevant passage:

"And finally, British Airways continues to reduce the amount of Tier Points needed to reach each Tier by 25 per cent for those whose Tier Point collection year ends before July 2022."
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I would think that was more a bank error in your favour if it does happen.
I had a bank error in my favour with last summers extension moving me to a card expiry of 30th November 2022. Not complaining.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by DrGee
That's interesting. Last year I asked for clarification on my September renewal after having status extended to Sept 2022 and received the following reply from BAEC:
"I can also confirm that the 25% reduced thresholds will apply to your Tier Point Collection year beginning September 2021, meaning you will need 225 Tier Points for Bronze, 450 Tier Points for Silver and 1,125 Tier Points for Gold.".
Where did the July 2022 cut off come from? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick perhaps?
I'd suggest that reply was wrong.

A September renewal would have reduced requirements in the period Sep 19-20 and Sep 20-21, returning to full TP needed thereafter. (At least as things currently stand)

The info in the press release is consistent with the policy that has been in place since June 2020. The last tranche of members who will benefit from a reduced TP target is those with a collection year of Jun 21-22. Which is where the "before July 22" comes into it.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
This is good news, the very friendly agent I spoke to on Monday whilst cancelling a couple of San Francisco TP runs mentioned that this was coming soon.

Easy win for BA, at very little actual cost as I'm sure flying won't really recover for some time yet.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'd suggest that reply was wrong.
Well I'll be holding on to that email because it had a major effect on my travel planning. Not that I've been able to do any actual travelling during the current period anyway but it'll certainly have implications for the year starting Sept '21 (possibly).
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Looks like GGL to automated Silver for me then.
What's the story here? What happened??
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
What's the story here? What happened??
The OP should remain as GGL until end of May 2022.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32447369-post223.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32447493-post265.html

Also a reduced threshold by 25% would apply for their 9 April 2021 to 8 April 2022 collection year.

I guess there is a question of whether something should be given if the April 2021 to April 2022 period is still significantly restricted for travel, but I think we will have to wait to see if and what BA does for anyone with card expiry beyond February 2022.
our_kid, golfmad and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by KARFA
The OP should remain as GGL until end of May 2022.
Thanks. I couldn't work out why the status would drop.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
As usual and expected, I'm confused.

Silver
July 9 to July 8 TP collection year
Currently Silver (legit earned through Aug 31 2021 and already extended to Aug 31, 2022)

I've already received a status extension to Aug of 22 so don't really expect any further.

My question: For my July 9, 2021 through July 8, 2022 TP collection year, will the REDUCED TP thresholds 450 Silver/1125 Gold apply to me?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:38 am

The 2020 extension made it clear that reduced earning thresholds applied to your first 'earned year' after extension.
I do wonder whether the satement today was stressing that Jan onwards (i.e. those not being frozen) will still benefit from the reduced threshold, rather than only these will benefit...
I sense BA will need to clarify, or may not know, or may be waiting to see how it pans out....
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
My tier point collection year ends in November and I'm quite satisfied with this outcome.
I tried to fly, but basically every booking ended up refunded due to cancelled flights and/or routes... to the point I'm almost at -2000 TPs.
Even if I was able to actually fly from May or June, with all the limitations around would have been close to impossible for me to keep GGL this year. With this extension, I'll make sure to keep booking with BA...
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Indeed. the BA Press release stated:

This means the 25% discount will only apply to those whose collection year ends before July 2022 - therefor the last group to qualify for the 25% discount will be those with a Membership Year that ends on 8 June 2022.

BUT, watch this space.
I understood the BA release the same way, but perhaps some confusion from the HfP article, which suggests July year end people also get the reduced TP requirement:

Tier qualification targets have already been dropped for all members whose membership year ends up to and including 8th July 2022.
It would seem a bit strange if July renewals are being treated differently to everyone else, maybe the HfP article has got that wrong by a month?

Anyhow, am glad that BA has acted earlier this time for those with renewals after June, it keeps me incentivised to continue booking BA. If government(s) could just get certain borders opened and/or countries removed from red lists / quarantine requirements, I might even have a go at earning the bonus GUF.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Mar 9, 2021 at 8:54 am
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: OW
Originally Posted by geo1005
My question: For my July 9, 2021 through July 8, 2022 TP collection year, will the REDUCED TP thresholds 450 Silver/1125 Gold apply to me?
The HfP article certainly seems to suggest that this was the case prior to the latest announcement: "Tier qualification targets have already been dropped for all members whose membership year ends up to and including 8th July 2022". I am in the same boat and equally as confused - I guess time will tell as July 2022 seems to be the threshold for reduced/non-reduced targets...
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Fantastic news and decent timing. I'm a August end and means I might actually finally get to enjoy gold benefits. I have used them for 4 fligths, one return MEX-LHR and one LHR-LBA. Asides from that, have remained untouched. I have a flight scheduled MEX-LHR in June in First, but let's wait and see what happens with that as if Mex ends up on red list, I'll be taking a voucher. Wife extended a Silver for another year and stepson Bronze, so decent result all round. Thank you BA!
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by eh220160
The HfP article certainly seems to suggest that this was the case prior to the latest announcement: "Tier qualification targets have already been dropped for all members whose membership year ends up to and including 8th July 2022". I am in the same boat and equally as confused - I guess time will tell as July 2022 seems to be the threshold for reduced/non-reduced targets...
Having gone back to the wording we were given by BA:

"British Airways continues to reduce the amount of Tier Points needed to reach each Tier by 25 per cent for those whose Tier Point collection year ends before July 2022."

..... I agree that 8th June could be the last block to get this. I will amend our article.
Oaxaca likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.